BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Lukas Podolski

Teacup

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the signing of Petrovic but I really think we could spend £8-10m much better in this instance.

Obviously there's a certain level of disparity between his international and club performances otherwise he would have achieved far more in his career so far than being a Bayern cast off and playing for a mid table Bundesliga side. How many big clubs have been interested in him? At international level for every game you play against a top team, you play three games against teams below Premier League standard.

If he were to come I'd be hopeful he'd do well and would be looking forward to seeing him pull on the blue and white, but wouldn't be anywhere near as expectant as some on here would be. Being top class is about more than just performing in international tournaments and walloping 4 past San Marino in qualifying.

And comparisons with VDV are silly. I knew Spurs got a steal with him, he'd had a very good club career and had been coveted by some of Europes top clubs. This doesn't really apply here. I'd pay 4-5 mill tops.

Yet clubs will happily pay £20 million for Stewart Downing because he plays for England every so often, or indeed for Jordan Henderson due to his single cap. As I said above Podolski is an established international striker for one of the best national teams in the world. Yes he flamed out at Bayern but they're almost as bad as Citeh when it comes to coveting shiny new strikers and then losing interest after they've been taken out of the box. Failing to shine at Bayern cannot be an accurate gauge of a player's ability.

The guy's played 89 times and scored 42 goals for Germany. Not a snowball's chance in hell.

I'd agree. I think I'd rather we go for more realistic targets, possibly young, hungry players from The Championship or the likes of Motherwell's Murphy or Goodwillie (stop sniggering at the back) from Dundee Utd.

Didn't Kammy mention in podcast2 that we were after a young, goal scoring midfielder from The Championship?

I'd agree. I think I'd rather we go for more realistic targets, possibly young, hungry players from The Championship or the likes of Motherwell's Murphy or Goodwillie (stop sniggering at the back) from Dundee Utd.

Didn't Kammy mention in podcast2 that we were after a young, goal scoring midfielder from The Championship?

Yes lets throw in the towel on this one and forget it ehh. :blink:

What is the harm in asking?

Yes lets throw in the towel on this one and forget it ehh. :blink:

What is the harm in asking?

We'll end up looking like a laughing stock...oh, wait...too late.

(As an aside, I can't see him coming here anyway, unfortunately)

Archived