BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Lukas Podolski

Teacup

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does Any Cryer go around telling kids that the tooth fairy is not real :rolleyes: - spoil sport for many of you on here!

Podolski has a great record for Germany but him scoring a hat trick for Germany vs Belarus does not put 3 points on the board for us!

His record is not that great in the League and he failed at Bayern - i think we could do better for the wages and transfer fee; that is just my opinion though.

Does Any Cryer go around telling kids that the tooth fairy is not real :rolleyes: - spoil sport for many of you on here!

Podolski has a great record for Germany but him scoring a hat trick for Germany vs Belarus does not put 3 points on the board for us!

His record is not that great in the League and he failed at Bayern - i think we could do better for the wages and transfer fee; that is just my opinion though.

Exactly. Let's not forget although RSC was brilliant for a season and well worth the money, even he showed that was just a flash in the pan and actually we were very lucky he had one brilliant season really.

This time round we'd be paying a lot more for a player who's only scored more than 10 league goals in a season two out of the last eight seasons.

Yes he's been used as a winger a fair bit but has hardly pulled up trees as a winger either.

People are getting blinded by the name here. You may well argue he'd be better than our current options but for the money we're likely going to be paying for him I'd expect nothing less.

People are getting blinded by the name here. You may well argue he'd be better than our current options but for the money we're likely going to be paying for him I'd expect nothing less.

Fee around 8m TGM, which for me rules us out of doing the deal, but better placed people than I have confirmed its a possibility.

Watch this space I guess.

Exactly. Let's not forget although RSC was brilliant for a season and well worth the money, even he showed that was just a flash in the pan and actually we were very lucky he had one brilliant season really.

This time round we'd be paying a lot more for a player who's only scored more than 10 league goals in a season two out of the last eight seasons.

Yes he's been used as a winger a fair bit but has hardly pulled up trees as a winger either.

Like Craig Bellamy, you mean? He was an expensive buy and was hardly prolific when he came to Rovers.

Like Craig Bellamy, you mean? He was an expensive buy and was hardly prolific when he came to Rovers.

I was delighted when we signed Bellamy. He might not have been prolific but he had been excellent as a winger for Newcastle, the only reason we bought him was because he had so many disciplinary problems at Newcastle which meant they offloaded him. They key difference between Bellamy and Pdolski was that Bellamy's disciplinary issues arguably pushed his price down, whereas Podolski's record at international level has arguably inflated his price up. Still Bellamy cost £5m and it looks like Podolski (who is totally unproven in this league) will cost significantly more.

I'm not saying he's doomed to failure, there's obviously a chance he'll succeed and he has been putting the ball in the net for Germany. But when someone has a fairly poor scoring record in a league where defences aren't quite what they are here, you have to ask yourself is it more likely he'll be a success or not?

Personally I think he'd do okay but for that money we could do better.

Did we have Podolski as a kid??

I don't remember that - was he at the Academy or just a triallist?

And I'm more inclined to believe Cryer than a tabloid or word of mouth, so I'm not getting my hopes up on this one...

£3m was it - sold for £6m?

17 goals in one season, alongside plenty of assists.

Yeah another of Soueys specials; he fell out with Bellers so badly he sold him on the cheap to Rovers!

Lukas Podolski will never come here.

If Rovers were to get a bid accepted, the the next stage would to convince Podolski to come here.

But I can assure you that if we get a bid accepted, then his agent will tip a lot of big clubs around on the continent, and those clubs would be more attractive and would be able to pay a lot more wages than we can.

£3m was it - sold for £6m?

That low? I heard it was £5m.

And what with inflation, it's equatable to signing Podolski for £8m.

17 goals in one season, alongside plenty of assists.

I said not prolific BEFORE he came to Rovers. That was my point. ;)

Fee around 8m TGM, which for me rules us out of doing the deal, but better placed people than I have confirmed its a possibility.

Watch this space I guess.

Considering he has repeatedly said that he does not want to leave the club he is at now. I think it very unlikely he will come to Rovers. Unless the paypacket is very substantial, then maybe he would consider it. But the danger is Rovers would then pay over the odds in wages for him. We maybe linked with him, but I think chances are next to nothing.

Considering he has repeatedly said that he does not want to leave the club he is at now. I think it very unlikely he will come to Rovers. Unless the paypacket is very substantial, then maybe he would consider it. But the danger is Rovers would then pay over the odds in wages for him. We maybe linked with him, but I think chances are next to nothing.

He is furious after being stripped of captaincy at Köln.

Köln have a Norwegian manager, and he said to Norwegian press today that he does not know if Podolski will stay, and that he hopehe stays...

I think Podolski may well come if we have enough money. I think people are far overestimating his reputation. Clubs look at how good a player is at club level more than anything else. If he was that highly rated, one would have thought he would have attracted better suitors than FC Koln after leaving Bayern.

The problem isn't whether we can attract him - I think we can - but whether we should be paying that much for him. I'm not so sure.

I think Podolski may well come if we have enough money. I think people are far overestimating his reputation. Clubs look at how good a player is at club level more than anything else. If he was that highly rated, one would have thought he would have attracted better suitors than FC Koln after leaving Bayern.

The problem isn't whether we can attract him - I think we can - but whether we should be paying that much for him. I'm not so sure.

Agree with this. I think he would come though I could just imagine someone like Redknapp hearing of it and then putting a bid in himself. I can honestly say I have never seen him have a great game (only seen him play for Germany or Bayern mind) don't know how he plays being the main man, he may thrive off it (ie Bellamy, RSC, Bentley...there is a pattern emerging here).

You have to take into account that FC Köln is where he started his career. Now you could still be right, and that they were the best (Or only) suitor, but it's also possible that affinity for the club sealed the deal for him.

I have seen Podolski play many times and he's rarely been anything short of excellent. A really great player. Imagine him and Hoillet with a decent centre-forward in between..... Most exciting player linked with us this year by far, not just a marquee signing but a string of matquees linked by awnings and all sorts of other tent related things. Can't see him coming here though but you can dream.

I have seen Podolski play many times and he's rarely been anything short of excellent. A really great player. Imagine him and Hoillet with a decent centre-forward in between..... Most exciting player linked with us this year by far, not just a marquee signing but a string of matquees linked by awnings and all sorts of other tent related things. Can't see him coming here though but you can dream.

Yeah when I saw him play he was a different class. At the highest level the world cup he been one of the best players in the world, not worked out domestically but certain a massive step in the right direction if you.

Would defo be a move towards these big plans Venkys are promising.

I cannot believe the people on this site who think Podolski is overrated. Moan when we're after Argentine freebies, and again when we're linked with an established German international, there is no pleasing some people.

I bet you lot thought Van der Vaart was past it when he signed for Tottenham.

There is some mileage in the claim that some players can't raise their game to International level (Andy Cole, Robbie Fowler etc), but I don't think it really works the other way round. Give me a player who performs regularly for one of the top countries in the world anyday.

First genuinely exciting rumour of the window for me.

I cannot believe the people on this site who think Podolski is overrated. Moan when we're after Argentine freebies, and again when we're linked with an established German international, there is no pleasing some people.

I bet you lot thought Van der Vaart was past it when he signed for Tottenham.

There is some mileage in the claim that some players can't raise their game to International level (Andy Cole, Robbie Fowler etc), but I don't think it really works the other way round. Give me a player who performs regularly for one of the top countries in the world anyday.

First genuinely exciting rumour of the window for me.

I like the signing of Petrovic but I really think we could spend £8-10m much better in this instance.

Obviously there's a certain level of disparity between his international and club performances otherwise he would have achieved far more in his career so far than being a Bayern cast off and playing for a mid table Bundesliga side. How many big clubs have been interested in him? At international level for every game you play against a top team, you play three games against teams below Premier League standard.

If he were to come I'd be hopeful he'd do well and would be looking forward to seeing him pull on the blue and white, but wouldn't be anywhere near as expectant as some on here would be. Being top class is about more than just performing in international tournaments and walloping 4 past San Marino in qualifying.

And comparisons with VDV are silly. I knew Spurs got a steal with him, he'd had a very good club career and had been coveted by some of Europes top clubs. This doesn't really apply here. I'd pay 4-5 mill tops.

Podolski threatens OP

Cologne. National player Lukas Podolski is likely to be operated on because of his ongoing problems with the sinuses. "Either in the game or during winter break" was to a reduction of the turbinates are made, he told the Bild newspaper. The airways Podolski torment for years.

How wil this effect a possible transfer?

Archived