BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] London to Ewood and back

vyeo

Hi guys,

I posted this a couple of months back when the fixture list first came up, but I can't find the thread anymore.

Basically, I'll be in London the week of the 27 Aug and my plans will allow me to head to Ewood for the Everton game (yay!). I've looked up the train schedules and there's a 1730H train that will take me back to London. There's nothing viable later. My worry is that given the 1500H kick-off, it will be very tight to make the connection. In my last visit, I remember a bad traffic jam after the game on the way back to the train station. (It was difficult to even get on the bus!)

Therefore, would appreciate some kind advice on the best way to head back to London on the same day. Are there any alternatives to train travel, such as a point to point coach service put up by the club or something similar? Dare I ask... any possibility of carpooling even? (Will gladly chip in for petrol costs etc).

And finally, when do tickets go on sale? I can't seem to find a way to buy them online... Cheers!

Vyeo, doesn't really address most of your questions, but you should just about be OK to do the walk back from the ground to Blackburn station. A brisk pace would see you do it in about 25 mins.

Only other thing I can think is there may be someone on here who could help get you from the game to Preston station - am guessing your 'main' train is from there to London. That would buy you a bit more time.

If you look on the national rail website (www.nationalrail.co.uk)there are several options from Blackburn to Euston around 5.30 or there is one at 7.00 as well. As others have said you can walk to the station in good time for 5.30. You will need to go via Manchester as the West Coast mainline up to Preston will be closed for engineering works.

Hi guys,

I posted this a couple of months back when the fixture list first came up, but I can't find the thread anymore.

Basically, I'll be in London the week of the 27 Aug and my plans will allow me to head to Ewood for the Everton game (yay!). I've looked up the train schedules and there's a 1730H train that will take me back to London. There's nothing viable later. My worry is that given the 1500H kick-off, it will be very tight to make the connection. In my last visit, I remember a bad traffic jam after the game on the way back to the train station. (It was difficult to even get on the bus!)

Therefore, would appreciate some kind advice on the best way to head back to London on the same day. Are there any alternatives to train travel, such as a point to point coach service put up by the club or something similar? Dare I ask... any possibility of carpooling even? (Will gladly chip in for petrol costs etc).

And finally, when do tickets go on sale? I can't seem to find a way to buy them online... Cheers!

Could you not stay overnight in Blackburn and go back the following morning?

As an half fit 64 year old I did the walk for the 17:30 about 6 times last season. So long as you have a reasonable degree of fitness you should do it with about 5 mins. to spare at an even pace but get a head start on the crowd if you can. Taxis usually hanging around near the Aqueduct pub on Bolton Road as an alternative. Change Bolton for Manchester Picadilly if heading south.

Regards,

If you look on the national rail website (www.nationalrail.co.uk)there are several options from Blackburn to Euston around 5.30 or there is one at 7.00 as well. As others have said you can walk to the station in good time for 5.30. You will need to go via Manchester as the West Coast mainline up to Preston will be closed for engineering works.

Agreed. Done this trip many times when I lived in London and if you walk to the train station it should take you approx 20-25 minutes tops.

The best way of thinking (it also works out cheaper too) about this journey Vyeo is by dividing it up into two parts:

London Euston-Manchester Piccadilly

Manchester Piccadilly-Blackburn (Via Bolton)

The return journey is the issue.Trains aren't as frequent through Blackburn so on the way back its probably pretty important to make the 17.31 (think thats the time) for the train to Bolton. Once you get off at Bolton the trains to Manchester Piccadilly are pretty frequent so you should have no problems there. You'll probably arrive at Piccadilly around 6.30/40ish and theres about 4 trains to London every 30 mins or so after this time.

Hope that helps.

If you go via the Manchester Piccadilly route as others have advised and aren't up to the walk back into town, an alternative might be to leave a few minutes before the end [we'll be well in front; you won't really miss anything! ;) ] and get a bus or taxi from the Aqueduct down Bolton Road to Darwen station.

Trains from Blackburn leave Darwen 10 minutes later [17.41, in this case]. You have to change at Bolton and then you should have about 1/2 hour to wait at Manchester Piccadilly before getting a train which is due into Euston at about 21.15. There are two further direct trains from Piccadilly - Euston that evening, the latter of which gets in just after 23.00.

And don't forget, if car-pooling isn't an option, book your train ticket asap - the earlier you book, the less you'll pay. Have a look at www.seat61.com for further advice on this.

Thanks for the replies guys. You were right that I was looking at the 1731H train from Blackburn to Bolton, connecting to Manchester and then on to London. Just needed some assurance that it is in fact possible to make the 1731H with a 1500H kick-off, because if I miss that, it will be difficult to head back.

Just to check if there is a short cut to walk to the train station from Ewood Park or am I supposed to walk along the same route as the bus? And must I absolutely leave before the end of the match? (Is this also why there's always a large crowd leaving from the Riverside end before the match is over?)

PS: I don't think we'll be beating Everton, so I really don't know why I'm bothering... but we're all suckers for the torture aren't we? ;)

Thanks for the replies guys. You were right that I was looking at the 1731H train from Blackburn to Bolton, connecting to Manchester and then on to London. Just needed some assurance that it is in fact possible to make the 1731H with a 1500H kick-off, because if I miss that, it will be difficult to head back.

It may not be of much help if you've much further to go after you reach Euston, but don't forget there's the 18.31 which will get you into Euston just after 11.00 pm.

Just to check if there is a short cut to walk to the train station from Ewood Park or am I supposed to walk along the same route as the bus? And must I absolutely leave before the end of the match? (Is this also why there's always a large crowd leaving from the Riverside end before the match is over?)

Nope; can't think of any short cut, other than walking along the main road into town. If you're younger and fitter than me [not difficult!], you can probably just about stay till the final whistle and walk to Blackburn station in time for the 17.31. However, that was why I suggested thinking about getting a bus going to Darwen.

Don't ask me, as a Riversider, why so many people in that stand regularly only stay for 80 - 85 minutes; it equally regularly causes scornful remarks under the breath of those of us who have paid to watch all the match and have to get up to let them out!

PS: I don't think we'll be beating Everton, so I really don't know why I'm bothering... but we're all suckers for the torture aren't we? ;)

Oh ye of little faith! :D

Hi guys,

Living down South I have done this journey plenty of times before. Usually I will end up staying overnight in one of the travelodges in Manchester Picadilly as I have plenty of old friends there and will go out on the ###### with them on the Saturday night before heading down to Euston then Slough on Sunday morning. I have caught both the 5.30 and the 7pm train on the same day but I always felt as if I was rushing home especially after a well earned victory.

Quick update - I've got my train tickets! I'll have the missus with me, so she'll be dragged along on the trek back to the train station for the 1731 train. I would have stayed in Manchester, but I have way too many things to drag with me from London as we'll be in London for our wedding photoshoot. Don't fancy dragging a gown, a suit and luggages aplenty. Had also booked my London hotel on a consecutive stay package, so its probably best to return on the same day.

M1st - I hope I don't jinx the game. On my first trip in 2009, I caught Chelsea v Rovers (lost 0-2) and Rovers v WBA (Tugay's final match, 0-0). So that means I have not seen us score a goal in person yet... with the mess the club is in, I am not optimistic about our chances.

If you are going via Preston can you not catch the train at mill hill

I'm not sure if it passes Preston. My route is Blackburn - Bolton - Manchester Picadilly - London Euston.

Can I just add that I'm quite stunned at the rail prices... it would be very pricey for someone living in the South to make the journey up on a regular basis. Just out of curiosity, are there discounted rates for British citizens or students?

I'm not sure if it passes Preston. My route is Blackburn - Bolton - Manchester Picadilly - London Euston.

Can I just add that I'm quite stunned at the rail prices... it would be very pricey for someone living in the South to make the journey up on a regular basis. Just out of curiosity, are there discounted rates for British citizens or students?

The 17.31 train does not pass Mill Hill or Preston.

Students & over 60's can buy discount cards over here.

There are several factors that affect ticket prices and the difference can be massive.

Recommend you reserve seats on the Man-London trains because it's Bank Holiday weekend and trains will be very busy.

Here's a pricing example with your route back (single fare).

Blackburn to London through ticket(via Bolton & Man Pic)=£147.60p for you and the missus.(18.55 train from Man Pic)

Book separate legs BBn to Man Picc then Man Picc to London (same trains)= £77.60p

My link

Quick update - I've got my train tickets! I'll have the missus with me, so she'll be dragged along on the trek back to the train station for the 1731 train. I would have stayed in Manchester, but I have way too many things to drag with me from London as we'll be in London for our wedding photoshoot. Don't fancy dragging a gown, a suit and luggages aplenty. Had also booked my London hotel on a consecutive stay package, so its probably best to return on the same day.

M1st - I hope I don't jinx the game. On my first trip in 2009, I caught Chelsea v Rovers (lost 0-2) and Rovers v WBA (Tugay's final match, 0-0). So that means I have not seen us score a goal in person yet... with the mess the club is in, I am not optimistic about our chances.

Ah well, why did you not tell us this before, vyeo?!

Now we know this, I'm sure you ought to be able to sort out a wedding in the centre circle at half time?! :D I can't speak for him , but I'm sure the club used to have a Chaplain.

Then, after the final whistle, you could get a taxi to the Travelodge on the M65 for your honeymoon [details of Sunday trains available on http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ ]; I'm sure most of the members of this board would help with the double celebration: the new Mr & Mrs vyeo; AND a second consecutive home win - who could ask for anything more?! [Don't worry; we'd leave you alone once "Match of the Day" came on! ;) ]

Sounds good to me!! :D :D :D

My link

Ah well, why did you not tell us this before, vyeo?!

Now we know this, I'm sure you ought to be able to sort out a wedding in the centre circle at half time?! :D I can't speak for him , but I'm sure the club used to have a Chaplain.

Then, after the final whistle, you could get a taxi to the Travelodge on the M65 for your honeymoon [details of Sunday trains available on http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ ]; I'm sure most of the members of this board would help with the double celebration: the new Mr & Mrs vyeo; AND a second consecutive home win - who could ask for anything more?! [Don't worry; we'd leave you alone once "Match of the Day" came on! ;) ]

Sounds good to me!! :D :D :D

Hahaha that's a nice thought. We were thinking very seriously about taking wedding photos at Ewood, but our photographer shoots only in London and it will be too costly to hire another photographer just for Blackburn. It would have been very special, but I guess we'll have to settle for shooting in London and just watching the game (and hopefully, a victory).

Whittle Blue - Thanks also for the info regarding train tickets and the pricing system - I checked on booking the trip separately and it would have saved me 30 pounds, but the tickets would then be completely inflexible. (i.e., if I missed the train, I would not be able to use them on the next train. So for a foreigner who's not familiar with the area, I think its best if I stick to my original tickets.)

Vyeo, just an idea for making your trip a bit more memorable - it might be worth emailing Rovers with just a few lines about getting married, travelling to the UK from Singapore, and making a special visit to Ewood. Under the old guard of Tom Finn et al I suspect you'd have got something from the club - a pre match visit onto the pitch perhaps - and you might well still get something similar.

Living down South I have done this journey plenty of times before. Usually I will end up staying overnight in one of the travelodges in Manchester Picadilly as I have plenty of old friends there and will go out on the ###### with them on the Saturday night before heading down to Euston then Slough on Sunday morning. I have caught both the 5.30 and the 7pm train on the same day but I always felt as if I was rushing home especially after a well earned victory.

Wife and I travel up from the south coast, stay a few days at travelodge, take in a few matches. Though recently we stayed in the Woodlands Hotel, which was also ok.

Vyeo, just an idea for making your trip a bit more memorable - it might be worth emailing Rovers with just a few lines about getting married, travelling to the UK from Singapore, and making a special visit to Ewood. Under the old guard of Tom Finn et al I suspect you'd have got something from the club - a pre match visit onto the pitch perhaps - and you might well still get something similar.

Thanks for the suggestion, Neil. I was thinking about this, but I have absolutely no idea on who to get in touch with at the club and how to frame it. Agree though that under the old guard, chances of a "special perk" materialising would have been far better. In any case, while a pre-match visit to the pitch would be super cool, I would gladly settle for a shirt autographed by the team! (The missus however, would probably prefer a picture with Robinson and Givet.) :rolleyes:

Anyone knows how I could possibly get this done?

You shouldn't have any problems with getting the 17:30 train from Blackburn as i catch this train myself as well as the 18:55 to London from Piccadilly as i get off at Crewe. I normally leave the ground early depending on how many minutes get added on at the end of the game so i can beat the traffic, it's not a bad walk to the train station although i am used to it now but you should be fine.

Thanks for the suggestion, Neil. I was thinking about this, but I have absolutely no idea on who to get in touch with at the club and how to frame it. Agree though that under the old guard, chances of a "special perk" materialising would have been far better. In any case, while a pre-match visit to the pitch would be super cool, I would gladly settle for a shirt autographed by the team! (The missus however, would probably prefer a picture with Robinson and Givet.) :rolleyes:

Anyone knows how I could possibly get this done?

See your pm inbox ...

Archived