BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gym supplements

Guys, cant seem to find the original thread.

Previously there was one on here regarding gym users and supplements were discussed. I have been taking a few different brands over the past few months but remember there were some good suggestions?

Which protein shakes would you recommend? (looking for lean muscle gain)

Think this website was mentioned - www.myprotein.com

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys, can’t seem to find the original thread thread.

Previously there was one on here regarding gym users and supplements were discussed. I have been taking a few different brands over the past few months but remember there were some good suggestions?

Your site is correct. Nothing wrong with MyProtein and if you google you'll get some discount codes. When MP started they only did unflavoured so you had to add something like Nesquik or coco powder. I've not used them for ages as I really like this stuff: http://www.supplementcentre.com/ProductPage/11743/5kg-matrix-Whey-Protein.asp - the Cookies N Cream in particular is beltin'.

Remember that they are only supplements so pay attention to the rest of your diet. For lean muscle gain I'd aim for something like 1g of quality protein per 1lb of body weight spread over 6 or so meals a day.

Myprotein all the way. Cheap and top quality stuff. Maximuscle costs a bloody fortune and it's no better!

Just remember most supps are not really necessary, they are just there to make supp companies money.

I only use whey isolate, creatine and glutamine.

Make sure you get plenty of protein and good carbs and fat from your diet.

I went to a bodybuilding gym once many years ago .... and only once. Out of curiosity combined with the insistence of the owner might I add.

I noticed there were mirrors all over the place and that all the participants flexed a bicep or two and sneaked sidelong glances at themselves every time they walked past them. The more experienced openly stood in front of mirrors admiring their muscle definition and no doubt hoping that the wimpier types were gawping in admiration. Bunch of narcissistic poofters was my conclusion (and still is too). I couldn't see it contributing much to my fitness levels back then cos I was training for football (plus rugby training with my rugby mates) and the place had an unpleasant reek of a combination of stale sweat and ancient jockstrap pervading the entire building so I never went again.

As for actually buying supplements... :rolleyes: If you wanna be hard guys just join the Para's. ;)

Well thanks for your input there thenodrog, it answered what the OP wanted to know precisely. Regarding the mirrors, if you want to get the best form when training then you need a mirror when a spotter isn't available. Anyway, everyone finds a gym they are comfortable with.

I went to a bodybuilding gym once many years ago .... and only once. Out of curiosity combined with the insistence of the owner might I add.

I noticed there were mirrors all over the place and that all the participants flexed a bicep or two and sneaked sidelong glances at themselves every time they walked past them. The more experienced openly stood in front of mirrors admiring their muscle definition and no doubt hoping that the wimpier types were gawping in admiration. Bunch of narcissistic poofters was my conclusion (and still is too). I couldn't see it contributing much to my fitness levels back then cos I was training for football (plus rugby training with my rugby mates) and the place had an unpleasant reek of a combination of stale sweat and ancient jockstrap pervading the entire building so I never went again.

As for actually buying supplements... :rolleyes: If you wanna be hard guys just join the Para's. ;)

That sounds just like my gym...

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, can’t seem to find the original thread.

BSN TRUE MASS is quality. It has a great mix of protein,complex carbs,potassium,good fats and amino acids in it. It's a bit pricey but worth it. Combine that with a different tub of cheap whey protein,say one scoop before bed and you're laughing. Keep a good diet,drink plenty of water and remember to rest well. If you want to go a step further "do a messi" and get some groth hormones. Hope that helps.

BSN TRUE MASS is quality. It has a great mix of protein,complex carbs,potassium,good fats and amino acids in it. It's a bit pricey but worth it. Combine that with a different tub of cheap whey protein,say one scoop before bed and you're laughing. Keep a good diet,drink plenty of water and remember to rest well. If you want to go a step further "do a messi" and get some groth hormones. Hope that helps.

That's a dam big step and not one to take lightly!

What are good carbs and fats, please? I'm assuming good fats are NOT the fats you get from meats? While I'm asking, what are bad carbs too?

Well, the only real 'bad fats', are transfats, found in convienence foods, fast foods, biscuits, cakes etc.

Saturated fat is ok in moderation.

Bad carbs are your refined carbs, found in sugar, white bread etc, that's why wholemeal is the way.

Well, the only real 'bad fats', are transfats, found in convienence foods, fast foods, biscuits, cakes etc.

Saturated fat is ok in moderation.

Bad carbs are your refined carbs, found in sugar, white bread etc, that's why wholemeal is the way.

Cheers. It's quite a bit of a science all this, isn't it. Are dairy fats bad, or do they come under saturated?

I agree with wholemeal, I can only eat wholemeal breads, and prefer wholemeal rice but that's hard to come by unless you buy it dried and steam it yourself.

I'm off to do a quick 1/2 hour in my mini gym upstairs. (just some dumbbells, exercise bike and a cross-trainer type thing.)

What are good carbs and fats, please? I'm assuming good fats are NOT the fats you get from meats? While I'm asking, what are bad carbs too?

Essential Fatty Acids are the good fats, some fish oils, flax seed, some nut oil give a good range of EFA's. A very rough rule is that if the fat is solid at room temperature it's probably saturated and thus bad for you, if it's liquid at room temperature then it's probably unsaturated and thus healthy.

bad carbs come from foods that are in their natural or near natural state, bad carbs come from refined or processed food.

I'm off to do a quick 1/2 hour in my mini sheep upstairs. (im just dumb and love my cross dresser type thing.)

It was alluding me as to why the award 'Funniest Contributor 2002' was given to you, but now I know, and you owe me a new keyboard because I spat all my BSN TRUE MASS protein drink all over it when I burst out laughing. :lol:

I'm fully in favor of young men joining the military. They'll learn valuable social skills (saying sir and m'am is one of them) and it doesn't hurt the resume in the least.

But there is no such thing as a tough guy. We can all be broken and a .45 will put each and everyone of us in our grave.

Went for a run , first one off thd treadmill in a few years! Man it damn near killed me haha

You'll be Joining me on 10 milers soon abs!!

I train 9 months a year for triathlons. This is the first of my 3 month off. (just one double session a week). Don't take any sort of supplements in training. But I use gels and powders during a race. Too expensive.

When drinking protein shakes, do you have them once/twice a day? only when you've been working out? with water/milk? - As you can tell, I know nothing!

When you need them is the straight answer. I'd always have one after a workout and I have a couple more during the day to give a quick and easy source of high quality protein that isn't going to leave me feeling full.

Best thing to do is tell us what you want to achieve, what routine you're doing and what you're diet is like. That way we'll be able to give you a good guide to work with.

Oh, and I have water but if I need more protein I'll use milk.

Archived