BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gym supplements

You'll be Joining me on 10 milers soon abs!!

I train 9 months a year for triathlons. This is the first of my 3 month off. (just one double session a week). Don't take any sort of supplements in training. But I use gels and powders during a race. Too expensive.

only 10 miler I will see is on the yam lol

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best thing to do is tell us what you want to achieve, what routine you're doing and what you're diet is like. That way we'll be able to give you a good guide to work with.

Basically i weighed 17 stone 7lbs and did no excersise at all. I then joined the gym and lost 4 stone and now currently weigh 13 stone 7lbs with another stone to lose.

I play football twice a week, go to the gym 2/3 times a week where I mainly focus on cardio however lately i've been thinking of using weights a lot more.

As for my diet, I try and eat my fruit and veg, drink plenty of water, chicken, pasta etc but if im honest i still eat stuff like pizza, chips, chocolate too often.

To start with I'd be looking at getting about 170 gram (based on 1g of protein per 1lb of lean body weight) of protein over 6 'meals', this should give you enough protein to avoid catabolism (when you body breaks down tissue to release energy). Two of the meals can be the protein drink definitely one after exercise and one before bed. Make sure you get a good spread of quality protein from foods such as tuna, chicken, beans, eggs etc.

To give you an idea of what my diet was when I was serious:

Breakie - Porridge and 6 eggs whites

Mid Morning - Meal Replacement

Lunch - Chicken breast with brown rice and salad

Mid afternoon - tuna & salad

Dinner - Usually a spud/brown pasta with a bean stew or salmon/other quality fish and lots of veg

after training - Protein shake with carbs of one sort or another

Before bed - Protein shake

Plenty of fruit and veg as and when and loads of water.

Quantities vary according to body weight.

I'd do the above 6 days a week and have one cheat day were I'd eat anything I want. I'd also not be too bothered about the odd pizza, KFC etc during the week. I've also always had a bad coke habit (cola, not the white stuff!)but managed to get that down to one can a day now.

Keep going with your cardio but I'd strongly recommend a proper weights routine 3 days a week.

• 3 years later...

cant win...lost weight , eating heathy or healthier. Been on diet fuel USN . now ive got a kidney stone, frig me they are painful.

reading too much whey protein is a contributer as is gout. .You cant bloody win.

I've had kidney stones 3 times over the last ten years(2 of them where big uns as well0 if you think they're painful now then just wait until they become dislodged from where they where formed in your kidneys and start the incredibly painful journey through you urinary tract causing blockages along the way.

My advise would be to get them blasted or removed as soon as possible, in my case I didn't realise I had them until it was to late and they suddenly started the immensely painful journey out of my system during the night, but if you know you have them in advance you can try and get them treated or at least get your gp or doctor to prescribe you some strong pain killers to keep on standby in case the pain becomes to intense.

Also I know Blackburn Royal gets a bad rap, but the urology department there is very good and well run in my experience and the urology doctor in charge is supposed to be one of the best around.

as for what causes them, I don't know, I'm generally quite fit and healthy, some people are just prone to them I think and if you get them once then you are most likely going to get them again at some point in your life. The only real advise the docs give you to reduce the chances of them recurring is to drink 3 ltrs of water a day, which isn't as easy as it sounds.

• Backroom

he booked me in for ultra sound..(hope there aint a baby in there :P) and he gave me some strong pain killers.

I don't think I'm looking forward to the Facebook picture in the assless gown!

Good luck mate

• 2 months later...
  • Backroom

In convinced that in time a lot of the people doing cross fit religiously are going to be struggling to walk, I know people including family members that are firmly in the cult of crossfit and most of them get shin splints etc I'm expecting back problems to follow.

• Backroom

Had a message from one of the coaches (I was asking about booze) and apparently mixers are manageable but avoid anything that's fermented.

1pt of ale/beer/lager = 7 slices of bread :P

In convinced that in time a lot of the people doing cross fit religiously are going to be struggling to walk, I know people including family members that are firmly in the cult of crossfit and most of them get shin splints etc I'm expecting back problems to follow.

I think obsessive joggers and cyclists are both setting themselves up for lots of aches and pains when they get older, both those sports put so much strain on your legs and back

As for obsesive weight lifting nuts and their silly supplements, shakes, steriods, etc.. They'll be lucky to see 60years out(and they'll spend most of those years in some kind of pain and unxomfort)

I think obsessive joggers and cyclists are both setting themselves up for lots of aches and pains when they get older, both those sports put so much strain on your legs and back

I know nothing about jogging but you are completely wrong when it comes to cycling which is a low impact activity and therefore does NOT put undue pressure on the joints - that's the point of low impact exercise. Cycling exercises the lower body, cardio vascular system and burns calories it does not put strain on your leg or back.

Of course if the bike is incorrectly set up one can get an injury but that's nothing to do with the activity and everything to do with correct preparation.

As for aches and pains in old age? I know plenty of riders 75-80 who can still put riders 30 years younger in their place.

Running is a high impact sport and many runners move to cycling after serious injury precisely because cycling is low impact.

I fully expect to still be riding in my 80s

They're low impact compared to other sports, but too much of anything is usually a bad thing. But if you've been cycling most of your life so far then your body must be well conditioned for it, so i guess you're far less likely to have problems(unless you cut abbey off at junction :unsure: )

• Backroom

They're low impact compared to other sports, but too much of anything is usually a bad thing. But if you've been cycling most of your life so far then your body must be well conditioned for it, so i guess you're far less likely to have problems(unless you cut abbey off at junction :unsure: )

Does that not suggest that running or weightlifting for much of your life similarly conditions the body?

• Backroom

Running-yes if you started young and carried on

Obsessive weightlifting(and all the crap that goes with it)-well, you're into wrestling! Look at the way the wrestlers from the 80s90s are dropping like flies.

What about those who do it cleanly? It's easy to tell the difference in terms of look (doing it properly means no popping veins and no skinny legs).

Re: wrestling, that's a perfect example. The muscles of 'clean' wrestlers (aside from succumbing to injuries in the ring that aren't weightlifting-related) such as Daniel Bryan, Wade Barrett or Dean Ambrose look very different to those of Dolph Ziggler or any of the 90's wrestlers like HHH or Hogan.

how many red faced, inflated, uncomfortable looking, sparrow legged, trunk necked guys around here do it cleanly though, i pass the chavy(for want of a better word) 'pro bodies' on bolton rd across from B&Q most days and most of the lug heads that come out of there just make me cringe.

• Backroom

how many red faced, inflated, uncomfortable looking, sparrow legged, trunk necked guys around here do it cleanly though, i pass the chavy(for want of a better word) 'pro bodies' on bolton rd across from B&Q most days and most of the lug heads that come out of there just make me cringe.

They put me off the idea of a continental breakfast, they look that much like croissants!

Archived