BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gym supplements

I have seen some people who do a scaled down version of cross-fit.

Real crossfit may have a connection with Rhabdomyolysis OR maybe it doesn't but the Crossfit people even joke around about it.

Rhabdomyolysis is breakdown of muscle fibers. Muscle breakdown causes the release of myoglobin into the bloodstream. Myoglobin can cause kidney damage. Symptoms include dark urine, muscle weakness, and fatigue.

http://www.healthline.com/health/rhabdomyolysis#Overview1

Their mascot is believe it or not, Rhabdo the Clown, I guess people know this here already. Just look up Rhabdo the clown oneself.

To me, the exertion is too excessive, maybe a scaled down version would be okay.

And there is no shortage of articles on the net talking about their experiences with Crossfit:

Though I think it can be dangerous, I'm not going to post an alarming article on how maybe someone got hurt doing it, I think it's up to the individual to check that out. Not up to me, to talk negatively of it.

On the plus side, I saw some guys climbing a rope, that I'd like to be able to do, I can a little bit, you use your legs as well to try to pull yourself up the rope but I definitely struggle.

Sparrow legs is hardly what I see in these guys as they are doing squats and things that build up leg muscle from what I see.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

I have seen some people who do a scaled down version of cross-fit.

Real crossfit may have a connection with Rhabdomyolysis OR maybe it doesn't but the Crossfit people even joke around about it.

http://www.healthline.com/health/rhabdomyolysis#Overview1

Their mascot is believe it or not, Rhabdo the Clown, I guess people know this here already. Just look up Rhabdo the clown oneself.

To me, the exertion is too excessive, maybe a scaled down version would be okay.

And there is no shortage of articles on the net talking about their experiences with Crossfit:

Though I think it can be dangerous, I'm not going to post an alarming article on how maybe someone got hurt doing it, I think it's up to the individual to check that out. Not up to me, to talk negatively of it.

On the plus side, I saw some guys climbing a rope, that I'd like to be able to do, I can a little bit, you use your legs as well to try to pull yourself up the rope but I definitely struggle.

Sparrow legs is hardly what I see in these guys as they are doing squats and things that build up leg muscle from what I see.

I looked into it before I started and there seems to be a connection with Rhabdomyolysis if done obsessively, but it may be the same connection as obsessive gym-going or weightlifting. I reckon it's more to do with diet than anything (no cars means the body has to burn protein from muscles instead) than the activity.

It seems doing CrossFit no more than 3 times a week has only benefits (when done correctly under coach guidance). I also do Parkrun on a Sat morning regularly now.

Anyone else do the Witton parkrun?

I can only say I've read about Crossfit on Wikipedia. I'd suggest for attaining general fitness, which seems to be the primary objective, proper diet, regular exercise by walking, jogging perhaps, swimming and cycling would work equally well and cost far less.

I did spend a number of years following a gym programme on a regular basis. I think for most averagely motivated people, including myself, gym membership and workouts are an expensive way of achieving very little.

Buy a bike!! 😀

• Backroom

I can only say I've read about Crossfit on Wikipedia. I'd suggest for attaining general fitness, which seems to be the primary objective, proper diet, regular exercise by walking, jogging perhaps, swimming and cycling would work equally well and cost far less.

I did spend a number of years following a gym programme on a regular basis. I think for most averagely motivated people, including myself, gym membership and workouts are an expensive way of achieving very little.

Buy a bike!! 😀

For me, with very little motivation, mind... :/

I'll buy one when I've the money but as a supply teacher with unequal patterns of work each week it's a struggle to save up.

Have folks ever checked out the Retro Bike forum? There are a lot of good bikes around for a low price. One does not have to spend a lot to start out and UK is actually a very good place for a wide range of bicycles.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=12&sid=88b9a5216b37fc42dae031ed18c5f87f

I've always wondered if pedaling a heavier bicycle exercises muscles more? It makes sense it would.

Classic Lightweights is a website I have brought up before as well: http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/

And save on gas, and also, what was new back then is now a classic look and they are building them a bit like this now, I'm riding a lightweight raleigh though, sometimes I do pile a lot of extras on, groceries but at the same time.

b30189c53662c916816d08f344fdd161.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

.I find Hiking with a heavy rucksack is the best weight loser.and.Cycling on me has no weight loss effect but I just like cycling for its own sake..

If you dont want to go to a gym,theres lots of Dvds you can do at home..you see them on Teleshopping in the morning..Anyone ever tried "Insanity"..T25..or..Tony horton P90.??? or the milder slim in 6,etc..These programmes are about 60 days.plug nutrition drink supplements and diet programs..Biggest problem is finding the time to do them..one hour a day spare can be hard to find.....What worries me most about these is what is going to happens when you stop.the excercise and nutrition supplements .and you go back to eating chips...All the work goes out the window......

If you dont like heavy weights theres,Lots of fitness classes you can do instead of weights.on a pay as you go basis Aroebics and Step classes...Circuit trainning/bootcamp.. taebo /boxercise...bike/spinning class....body pump....yoga....kettlebells.. its also surprising how some dance classes may seem a soft option but can be tough Ciruit traiining /bootcamp I like best.of these...

If you dont want to go to a gym,theres lots of Dvds you can do at home..you see them on Teleshopping in the morning..Anyone ever tried "Insanity"..T25..or..Tony horton P90.??? or the milder slim in 6,etc..These programmes are about 60 days.plug nutrition drink supplements and diet programs..Biggest problem is finding the time to do them..one hour a day spare can be hard to find.....What worries me most about these is what is going to happens when you stop.the excercise and nutrition supplements .and you go back to eating chips...All the work goes out the window

T25 is really good if you're short on time to spare, or if you need a slightly lower impact version of Insanity. Results are good, but not as good as the original Insanity or Insanity Asylum. There is a new one in the same range now called Insanity Max 30 which is awesome. Each workout is only 30 minutes long, you go as hard as you can until your lungs are on fire (Max Out), then stop and catch your breathe, take a note of the time and carry on. Each time you do the video, you're pretty much competing against yourself to do better than last time. Only on the 3rd week so far, but results have been much better than the other incarnations of Insanity / p90x for me.

There is the problem of what happens when you stop, but I tend to not follow the nutrition plan and just eat a normal, healthy diet so it doesn't affect me to much when I can't (be arsed..) to do some exercise for a few days. When I've finished whatever program I've been doing, I tend to just pick and choose a particular one to do, depending on how many pies I need to shift, until the next time I start doing them properly again. If you are determined to get in shape and can't be bothered with the sted heads in the gym, I'd definitely recommend any of the Beachbody programmes, and they can be "acquired" easy enough without spending £100 a go on them. Not that I would advocate doing that at all...

They have one of those USN challenge pages at my local gym and people do drink those supplements during a workout. Some really big guys purely doing weights and barely doing any cardio whatsoever which can't be good though I am no expert.

Actually weight training is a really good cardio workout.

Though consuming a load of steroids, maybe not so good for the ticker.

• 3 months later...

I'm doing my first full marathon on the 20th of March. Training is going alright. Despite the very low temperatures I'm up to about 40km a week with a 25km long run.

Has anyone who has done one got any advice for how to prepare - things they wish they'd known or done before they did their first one? I especially need tips on what to eat in the run up. I've not really changed my diet at all.

Thanks

Archived