BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Budget Over the Past 10 Years

AndyC

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have felt for about 3 years that we don't really deserve to be in this league now I can see why.

Let the asset sturp begin, wonder what the stats are going to read when we go down.

win win for Venkys, stay up with Kean they can keep under investing and sell Samba or top name, keep PR going.

Go down with Kean and they can asset strip making a sum of 10 or 20 million.

I have felt for about 3 years that we don't really deserve to be in this league now I can see why.

Don't talk rubbish - it shows exactly why we should and do deserve to be here and why you don't need to waste to be able to compete and be fairly (arguable) successful.

A good manager and good set up - sticks two fingers up to the current regime and manager.

Interesting stuff.

Venky's get slated for not reinvesting the Phil Jones money, but are probably sitting on around £9m - £10m net.

Two previous years, Rovers didn't reinvest £33.6m of sales. Hmm, wasn't the amount the Trust were asking a few years back about £25m more than they eventually sold the club for? So they end up with more money by lack of investment.

Maybe Vinjay was right all along!!!

EDIT: it is also worth noting the date on the article... well before the window shut.

Don't talk rubbish - it shows exactly why we should and do deserve to be here and why you don't need to waste to be able to compete and be fairly (arguable) successful.

A good manager and good set up - sticks two fingers up to the current regime and manager.

Totally disagree.

Eveytime Blackburn looked like being a decent side we had our star players stripped everytime and the money NEVER got re-invested, as result we often finished the next season in the bottom 5 or at least worse off.

Blackburn has been nothing more then a coat hanger since 2003, we get good we sell Duff, we get good we sell Bellamy, we get good we sell RSC, we get good we sell Bentley.

These players left because they knew Blackburn were going NOWHERE.

It was only a matter of time before we would have been relegated.

Though stats don't lie we are adrift bottom long long adrift.

Sam would have probably got a better offer and another Kidd or Hogdson would come along, but this time their would be no Jack to save us.

You need to get real.

Eh? Since 2003 we have finished in the top 10 5 times, including a 6th and 7th placed finish and 4 cup semi finals.

If we are coat hangers, what the hell are most of the other clubs?

Evidently clubs that reinvest.

We got dam lucky with Hughes, the guy was a gamble who turned out to be a genius.

But he suffered due to the clubs lack of ambition.

what did he say "I can;t keep pulling rabbits out the hat"

Refering to the fact Blackburn is a club that has no ambitions.

Its get good and sell and re-invest some of the money.

Eventually we had to turn to the budget speicalist Sam, but by summer 2010 he was interested in leaving.

If you think that being 20th in the spending league and adrift by 40 million is a good thing then I'm happy to argee to disagree there.

Don't let you Venkys hate distract from the fact The Walkers Trust barely cared.

So, let's say Sunderland who have spent much more than us, but have achieved much less are more worthy than us of a PL place?

That is a nonsense argument, you should be proud as punch that this club did so much for so long on so little.

Sure sign of a club making the absolute most of it's resources, what football should actually be all about, not just who is lucky enough to have owners who throw money about.

The league table never lies so of course we deserved to be here. What that table does point out (which is no surprise to those of us who have been keeping track of our finances) is just how good the people involved in the club during that time have been. Williams has always been considered an excellent chairman and Hughes an excellent manager by the fans, but that table should absolutely rubbish the view that Souness and Allardyce were even close to average. They were both incredibly good managers at Rovers given the considerable financial disadvantage to their peers.

It also highlights how amazing the general behind-the-scenes team at Rovers were (which Venkys have since started to decimate) and how lucky we were as fans to be paying relative peanuts in season ticket prices to watch it all. The 00s period for Rovers is sometimes seen in a poor light in comparison to the glory of the 90s, but history will show it as a period of sustained overachievement and a phenomenal success story in an increasingly harsh football climate.

Interesting stuff.

Venky's get slated for not reinvesting the Phil Jones money, but are probably sitting on around £9m - £10m net.

Two previous years, Rovers didn't reinvest £33.6m of sales. Hmm, wasn't the amount the Trust were asking a few years back about £25m more than they eventually sold the club for? So they end up with more money by lack of investment.

Maybe Vinjay was right all along!!!

EDIT: it is also worth noting the date on the article... well before the window shut.

The Walker's got slated an all. However, after a while we realised that the tap had stopped and they wanted rid.

Venky's came in saying '£5, maybe 10 million a window', as yet they haven't spent a penny net.

So, let's say Sunderland who have spent much more than us, but have achieved much less are more worthy than us of a PL place?

That is a nonsense argument, you should be proud as punch that this club did so much for so long on so little.

Sure sign of a club making the absolute most of it's resources, what football should actually be all about, not just who is lucky enough to have owners who throw money about.

Ofcourse I was proud of Hughes and blackburn, he was amazing but I felt for him because The Walkers trust barely cared and thats why we are bottom of that investment league.

Thats why great players left and that why I think that our days in the PL league were numbered.

I was proud of Blackburn dispite The Walkers Trust, but we were a club going nowhere thats why anybody any good ALWAYS left in the end or wanted out.

Imagine if Hughes had Sunderlands money at Blackburn.

Under the walkers trust our objectives were try and stay in the league and when players get very good sell them and re-invest a small amount in new players.

Under the Walkers Trust we became a nothing team that was unlikely to win anything and if we got good players they were sold.

We were dying for investment, sadly we got the wrong people in.

Ofcourse I was proud of Hughes and blackburn, he was amazing but I felt for him because The Walkers trust barely cared and thats why we are bottom of that investment league.

Thats why great players left and that why I think that our days in the PL league were numbered.

I was proud of Blackburn dispite The Walkers Trust, but we were a club going nowhere thats why anybody any good ALWAYS left in the end or wanted out.

Under the walkers trust our objectives were try and stay in the league and when players get very good sell them and re-invest a small amount in new players.

Under the Walkers Trust we became a nothing team that was unlikely to win anything and if we got good players they were sold.

That is the case for most clubs outside the top 6. The money Bruce has spent and he still thinks top 10 is a good season for Sunderland.

Depsite having no investment, we kept on competing, something to be proud of.

Hughes had City's money at City, that went pear shaped. We should be vastly proud of our achievements over the last 10 years, players leave for 2 reasons. More money and more chance of winning. The very same reasons they join us.

Hughes had City's money at City, that went pear shaped. We should be vastly proud of our achievements over the last 10 years, players leave for 2 reasons. More money and more chance of winning. The very same reasons they join us.

You don't really believe that if Hughes had 10-20 million to spend every summer and not having to sell top stars due to lack of financial support that Hughes would have been anything other then a success?

It all came down to money and its why we needed an investor.

I'm pretty sure Williams knew it couldn't last forever, mass under investment.

You don't really believe that if Hughes had 10-20 million to spend every summer and not having to sell top stars due to lack of financial support that Hughes would have been anything other then a success?

It all came down to money and its why we needed an investor.

I'm pretty sure Williams knew it couldn't last forever, mass under investment.

It's not under investment, it's running the club, keeping it afloat.

As brilliant as Hughes was, there is no guarantee that money brings success. As the stat's comparative to Sunderland over 10 years highlight.

It's not under investment, it's running the club, keeping it afloat.

As brilliant as Hughes was, there is no guarantee that money brings success. As the stat's comparative to Sunderland over 10 years highlight.

thats exactly my point, all we did was stay a float, the second we looked good we sold the star players.

We needed investment to become ambitious.

If you suggesting I was happy William and Flynn were sacked, ofcourse not.

Big Sam, JW, TF and investment would have equalled success.

JW would admit himself we needed investment to survive long term, you know he would say this.

Just not Venkys.

sorry chris, i agree with most of what you say but not this. rovers have done amazingly. punching above their weight, to stay in this league considering what we have spent, how many small town clubs with no financial muscle can achieve what we have achieved? have to say nowadays its getting harder for clubs like us to keep this up as there seems to be more and more overseas millionaire/billionaire owners buying premiership clubs and unlike ours, they are willing to invest in a proper manager and proper players. Alot of big spending clubs have fallen by the wayside over the years, trying to buy success today instead of building from the bottom up and rovers have shown the proper way to do it until now. These days we are wondering what unwanted surprise is around the corner and venkys dont seem to have a clue to what they are doing next.

sorry chris, i agree with most of what you say but not this. rovers have done amazingly. punching above their weight, to stay in this league considering what we have spent, how many small town clubs with no financial muscle can achieve what we have achieved? have to say nowadays its getting harder for clubs like us to keep this up as there seems to be more and more overseas millionaire/billionaire owners buying premiership clubs and unlike ours, they are willing to invest in a proper manager and proper players. Alot of big spending clubs have fallen by the wayside over the years, trying to buy success today instead of building from the bottom up and rovers have shown the proper way to do it until now. These days we are wondering what unwanted surprise is around the corner and venkys dont seem to have a clue to what they are doing next.

But I wanted investors and I wanted to keep Sam, JW and TF.

We are a smaller fan base but with big history, our struggles with investment had me worried for years.

He took a chance on Hughes and turned out to be amazing.

Also Sam was a great signing.

But this is a direct discussion on financial investment and in terms of investment I felt other teams were far more ambitious and it was frustrating.

Sam and Hughes were both great managers, it doesn't change the fact we had poor investment.

The stats don't lie.

thats exactly my point, all we did was stay a float, the second we looked good we sold the star players.

We needed investment to become ambitious.

If you suggesting I was happy William and Flynn were sacked, ofcourse not.

Big Sam, JW, TF and investment would have equalled success.

JW would admit himself we needed investment to survive long term, you know he would say this.

Just not Venkys.

I am not sure what your point is any more. You originally stated that players left Blackburn because the club was going nowhere since 2003 and the club was a coat hanger. Yet 2 of the 3 players you mentioned were signed during the "coat hanger" years.

That stat's then show we have finished top 10 five times but you are praising clubs that have re-invested more than us and finished below us?

i dont disagree with anything you have said chris, i wanted new investors, i wanted money spent, that hasnt really happene, i also wanted a good manager brought in, when they foolishly sacked big sam but to say we dont deserve to be in the premierleague because of what we have spent, if you are saying that, is wrong.

I am not sure what your point is any more. You originally stated that players left Blackburn because the club was going nowhere since 2003 and the club was a coat hanger. Yet 2 of the 3 players you mentioned were signed during the "coat hanger" years.

That stat's then show we have finished top 10 five times but you are praising clubs that have re-invested more than us and finished below us?

what you on about.

I said as soon as they became great players we sold them.

e.g. Bentley came stuggling in confidence sold 17 million, he wanted out to fulfil his ambition.

Duff sign a boy brillant 2003 sold.

Santa signed a Munich sub, great season sold.

In all cased only around half was re-invested.

But I wanted investors and I wanted to keep Sam, JW and TF.

We are a smaller fan base but with big history, our struggles with investment had me worried for years.

He took a chance on Hughes and turned out to be amazing.

Also Sam was a great signing.

But this is a direct discussion on financial investment and in terms of investment I felt other teams were far more ambitious and it was frustrating.

Sam and Hughes were both great managers, it doesn't change the fact we had poor investment.

The stats don't lie.

Other owners threw their money about, ours wouldn't. Were any managers or chairmen more ambitious than ours? no way.

A football club is about much more than the owner.

Archived