BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Here Rovers There Rovers Every **where

Ok, so Devon is not that faraway, but a good few years ago we were on holiday there and were off out for the day in the car. The kids were pre adult then, so I presume we were looking for a beach. We didn't find the beach but managed to find the middle of absolute nowhere. We kept driving down narrow lanes surrounded by fields and trees with not a town or village or hamlet in sight. We ended up driving down a six foot wide 'road' with high hedges down each side and with only enough room for one car on the road. The hedges then became trees and the trees then became other trees that formed a canopy above us from side to side. It was like a David Bellamy's Millenium Stadium with the roof closed. The 'road' basically petered out and we had to turn round. Just before we did and just as I was thinking 'bugger' a passing place came into view at the same time as a little white van approached. I pulled in to let him pass and it was a Shorrocks Security (or similarly worded - think they were/are at Shadsworth)van with a Rovers mini kit in the front windscreen. Weird!

I have seen plenty of other Rovers fans in holiday destinations over the years and another Rover at the Australian Grand Final (Rugby League) circa 2001 in Brisbane but that day in Devon takes some beating.

Any other similar stories?

On one of my visits to Perth in, I think, 2006, I was standing on one of the CAT [free] buses in the city centre, wearing, as I often do, a Rovers' sweater. There was an Aussie bloke on the bus, advising another British tourist which stop she wanted for the sights she wanted to see.

Once she got off, I sat down next to this bloke, who looked more closely at my sweater. "Is that the red rose of the County Palatine?", he asked. Before I could reply, he said in more awed tones, "No; hang on, that the Blackburn Rovers' badge."

It turned out that he'd lived near Skew Bridge before emigrating to a smaller town on the Margaret River [busselton] many years previously; in which, as it happened, my friends in Perth and I had spent the previous weekend.

I think that chance meeting made the day for both of us.

Met a Rovers fan in the Dominican Republic from Canada in the summer of 2009.....we are now engaged!!

Well Macky,

You may have just brought this thead to a grinding halt...................

Hopefully not though.

I did meet a couple of Rovers fans at The Manchester Museum Of Science & Industry. They were from Blackburn & I didn't get engaged to either of them.

Cheers

Colin

Actually ran into a Rovers fan in the Paris metro about two weeks ago wearing a Rovers shirt. Didn't have time to catch up, but must have been the shirt from 2002/2003 or from around that period. A very rare sight in these parts.

I was walking though Union Square, NYC in a Rovers shirt last week and out of nowhere an American guy shouted 'Blackburn Rovers? Aren't you that team that always loses? You are looking at relegation this season..' Four years ago noone over here had heard of us and now we are known as a worldwide joke. Thank you Kean & Venkys.

I was walking though Union Square, NYC in a Rovers shirt last week and out of nowhere an American guy shouted 'Blackburn Rovers? Aren't you that team that always loses? You are looking at relegation this season..' Four years ago noone over here had heard of us and now we are known as a worldwide joke. Thank you Kean & Venkys.

Well mr/mrs Venky monitoring person, take this back to your masters and spell out to them exactly what their current FAILURE is doing to their world wide image.

Archived