BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Has this mess happened before here or anywhere?

chris

I'm just wondering if any of the older posters can tell me if they have know of a similar situation where the fans want a manager out but he keeps the job, and to the extreme Kean is facing?

What was the Alex Ferguson situation when he started? did he have chants against his name?

Can anyone think of a situation where a manager has won the fans back after doing so badly or owners have refused to sack an unwanted manager.

Most Blackburn Managers have been hit or miss, rather then start bad and get better.

It might be extreme but surely not totally orginal.

Pressure on managers is much more intense than it was 30 or 40 years ago but I can't remember anything as bad as this anywhere. Illey and Ince are the only Rovers managers who really got stick but nothing in the scale of what we have now and they both went quickly. Ferguson might have had some grumbles but that is about 1% of what kean is getting.

Pressure on managers is much more intense than it was 30 or 40 years ago but I can't remember anything as bad as this anywhere. Illey and Ince are the only Rovers managers who really got stick but nothing in the scale of what we have now and they both went quickly. Ferguson might have had some grumbles but that is about 1% of what kean is getting.

But only Blackburn fans think this, probably 90% of the football world think it's no big deal, maybe :angry2:

I don't know of any other example where new owners who know nothing about English football have

1.sacked a successful manager within 2 weeks of taking over

2. gone on to rid the club of every administrator who'd kept the club afloat in difficult financial times

3. sacked everyone else who could have advised on how to run the club well, including the auditors

4. left the club and its directors with no structure allowing the manager to do what he likes including provoke the club's supporters and encourage some supporters to act against others

4. totally blanked the club's biggest sponsor

5.banned their own fans from protesting

6.rewarded the worst manager in our Premier League history with a new and improved contract and lied about it

7. not even the interest or courage to set foot inside their own ground

8.refused to enter into any meaningful dialogue with anyone.

So "NO"---I don't think this has happened before. Nearest might be Hearts.

I follow Baseball and the team I support is the Los Angeles Dodgers.

They have had a similar nightmare time with their owners, the McCourts (a husband and wife combination) who, like Venkys came in and reveled in the glamour of owning a team, without any real cash to back it up, they bought into the Hollywood glamour lifestyle, but have to date delivered virtually nothing.

Firstly, ticket prices went up, as did the price for parking, whilst sponsorship and attendance plummeted.

In the first few seasons, results on the pitch were good, but they spent very little bar a marquee signing (Manny Ramirez) who is now retired due to being exposed as a drug cheat.

The problems came to a head last season when the teams performance dropped significantly, a fan was put into a coma at a game, the couple got divorced, and the team and the fans were dragged through the courts, ultimately leading to the current situation, where the club is now bankrupt.

Luckily in baseball the league has a commissioner who looks after the franchises and the Dodgers are now being controlled by the league and the owners are being forced to sell.

I follow Baseball and the team I support is the Los Angeles Dodgers.

They have had a similar nightmare time with their owners, the McCourts (a husband and wife combination) who, like Venkys came in and reveled in the glamour of owning a team, without any real cash to back it up, they bought into the Hollywood glamour lifestyle, but have to date delivered virtually nothing.

Firstly, ticket prices went up, as did the price for parking, whilst sponsorship and attendance plummeted.

In the first few seasons, results on the pitch were good, but they spent very little bar a marquee signing (Manny Ramirez) who is now retired due to being exposed as a drug cheat.

The problems came to a head last season when the teams performance dropped significantly, a fan was put into a coma at a game, the couple got divorced, and the team and the fans were dragged through the courts, ultimately leading to the current situation, where the club is now bankrupt.

Luckily in baseball the league has a commissioner who looks after the franchises and the Dodgers are now being controlled by the league and the owners are being forced to sell.

What an uncanny similarity (bar the Marquee signing who wouldn't come).

Oh - and the fact that our club won't get bailed out.

Oh yes - and the results weren't initially good.

The difference with Ince was had we gone on a 20 game unbeaten run, played well and shot up the table then it would have been OK. He would still have had his detractors but the vast majority would have fell into line and have been supportive.

If we do that by some miracle under Kean, most people will still despise the lying, back-stabbing, clueless puppet.

Can anyone think of a situation where a manager has won the fans back after doing so badly....

Howard Kendall was a midges you-know-what off being sacked at Everton in early 1984 a few years after they nicked him from us. I seem to remember Everton were on tv, away at Oxford (think it was League Cup) and after going a goal down, they went on to win the tie and actually got to Wembley in both that cup and the FA Cup that year. Prior to that they had been aweful and many Evertonians wanted him out. The following season they won the Championship and went on to win the European Cup Winners Cup.

I beleive a similar thing happened to Wolves, the Bhatti brothers ( indians ) bought the club, asset stripped it for all it was worth, resulting in

successive relegations through the old leagues then cleared off. Eventually Jack Hayward bought it for a song as a diehard fan and rebuilt the club

over a period of years. Exact details are sketchy it was mentioned in a book I read some time ago.

I beleive a similar thing happened to Wolves, the Bhatti brothers ( indians ) bought the club, asset stripped it for all it was worth, resulting in

successive relegations through the old leagues then cleared off. Eventually Jack Hayward bought it for a song as a diehard fan and rebuilt the club

over a period of years. Exact details are sketchy it was mentioned in a book I read some time ago.

great :(

Archived