BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nathan Blake Death Threat

This link... The article title makes it sound very much like Blake got a racist death threat from Rovers fans when, if you read it, it's clear it was because he withdrew from international duty with Wales! How the local newspaper can have the gall to put an article title up like that which people will read and assume a Rovers fan did it because of racism. While the death threat is just wrong on many levels, the LT is also very wrong for putting the article up like that. Why now and why that title?

Blake should have gone to the police. Probably thoughtit best though to sit on it for over a decade before telling a local journalist trying to make a name for himself as some kind of crime correspondent.

As you say, Ivan, this is written in such a way as to insinuate Rovers fans were involved, whilst actually making no such claim. It's a complete non-story except to wind people up. Is Chris Flannagan a Scouser or a dingle?

Blake should have gone to the police. Probably thoughtit best though to sit on it for over a decade before telling a local journalist trying to make a name for himself as some kind of crime correspondent.

As you say, Ivan, this is written in such a way as to insinuate Rovers fans were involved, whilst actually making no such claim. It's a complete non-story except to wind people up. Is Chris Flannagan a Scouser or a dingle?

Pretty sure that Flanagan is a Bolton supporter.

• Moderation Lead

Very naughty journalism IMO. Why mention Rovers insinuating that our fans are involved?

He could have written 'I received a death threat after I withdrew from Wales squad' and it would have been as relevant.

Chris Flanagan being an attention-seeker it would seem!!

Chris Flanagan being an attention-seeker it would seem!!

The reporter has written the story correctly. Blake received a death threat on Wales duty and the fact he was a Rovers player at the time is of course of interest to the LET and its readers.

I agree the headline can be seen as misleading but that is not the fault of the reporter.

Think you are making a fuss over nothing.

Just because it says he was at Blackburn at the time doesn't suggest it's a Blackburn fan issuing the threats. If I saw a headline saying A Liverpool player received death threats I'd be more inclined to think it was an Everton fan issuing them etc.

The reporter has written the story correctly. Blake received a death threat on Wales duty and the fact he was a Rovers player at the time is of course of interest to the LET and its readers.

I agree the headline can be seen as misleading but that is not the fault of the reporter.

"NATHAN Blake has revealed that he was the subject of a racist death threat during his time at Blackburn Rovers" was not written by the headline writer.

It may well be factually accurate but why the "during his time at Rovers" angle rather than a "former Rovers player" angle? It suggests that the fact he was at Rovers at the time was a factor in the "racist death threat".

Flanagan knew exactly what he was writing and the feedback it would be likely to get - there's no need to play the union card.

Think you are making a fuss over nothing.

Just because it says he was at Blackburn at the time doesn't suggest it's a Blackburn fan issuing the threats. If I saw a headline saying A Liverpool player received death threats I'd be more inclined to think it was an Everton fan issuing them etc.

So you agree that despite the factual accuracy, the way it was written (and even the club mentioned) would cause you to make an assumption without any proof.

QED

"NATHAN Blake has revealed that he was the subject of a racist death threat during his time at Blackburn Rovers" was not written by the headline writer.

It may well be factually accurate but why the "during his time at Rovers" angle rather than a "former Rovers player" angle? It suggests that the fact he was at Rovers at the time was a factor in the "racist death threat".

Flanagan knew exactly what he was writing and the feedback it would be likely to get - there's no need to play the union card.

So you agree that despite the factual accuracy, the way it was written (and even the club mentioned) would cause you to make an assumption without any proof.

QED

Yes but I don't think it shed Rovers in a bad light at all. One would assume it was either a brain dead dingle or just some racist clown issuing the threats.

We aren't scousers, the whole world isn't against us like they think it is against them.

It is factually correct and you are choosing to put your own spin on it.

It is factually correct and you are choosing to put your own spin on it.

Stop being daft, Jim.

My first reaction to reading the headline was that Blake received abuse from Blackburn fans. It's deliberately misleading.

Then again, a newspaper would never do THAT.

My first reaction to reading the headline was that Blake received abuse from Blackburn fans. It's deliberately misleading.

Exactly the intention.

Read the whole article. It says nothing of the sort.

Read the first line of the article. That's all the headline writer did!

Is your surname Flanagan, Jim?

The reporter has put a local angle on what is essentially a Wales story by stating in his intro (correctly) that Blake received a death threat while he was a Blackburn Rovers player. Unfortunately it appears the sub-editor has not read the whole story and written an appropriate headline. I suspect however that like alot of newspapers the LET does not have sub-editors these days and the reporter has put his own headline on the story. Rovers fans getting upset over this are being immature and over-sensitive.

Rovers fans getting upset over this are being immature and over-sensitive.

This is just the latest in a long line of articles with a negative slant on Rovers fans. Is it any wonder people are sensitive?

Oliver Holt created much of this feeling when Ince was in charge. It's so easy for the media to have another pop and another pop.

Much like soft yellow cards, people reading these kinds of stories just shake their heads and say, yep, that's what Rovers are about. I'll bet that's all the headline writer thought. Probably "only needed to read the first line" to get the jist of the story.

That's all most of the readership will do anyway, and they are left with the same impression.

Irresponsible journalism which takes no account of the current feelings of Rovers fans. Because the non-sports writer and Bolton fan that Flanagan is, he doesn't give two ###### about Rovers.

This is just the latest in a long line of articles with a negative slant on Rovers fans. Is it any wonder people are sensitive?

Oliver Holt created much of this feeling when Ince was in charge. It's so easy for the media to have another pop and another pop.

Much like soft yellow cards, people reading these kinds of stories just shake their heads and say, yep, that's what Rovers are about. I'll bet that's all the headline writer thought. Probably "only needed to read the first line" to get the jist of the story.

That's all most of the readership will do anyway, and they are left with the same impression.

Irresponsible journalism which takes no account of the current feelings of Rovers fans. Because the non-sports writer and Bolton fan that Flanagan is, he doesn't give two ###### about Rovers.

Henry Winter in the Daily Telegraph and David Conn have written some very good supportive articles on Rovers. A comment piece in the Express by Mick Dennis a few months ago lay the blame for our present plight firmly at Venky's door. The LET has been excellent recently in pointing the finger at the owners and telling them to get their act together.Oliver Holt was not so much anti-Rovers as pro-Paul Ince because Holt is a Manc and a good pal of Ince's. None of this is "irresponsible journalism". As I stated previously, the editorial checks and balances are no longer present on many local newspapers which is possibly why that headline got through. I'm certain that 10 years or more ago it would not have passed a senior editor. As for the hurt "feelings" of Rovers fans, please grow up.

Henry Winter in the Daily Telegraph and David Conn have written some very good supportive articles on Rovers. A comment piece in the Express by Mick Dennis a few months ago lay the blame for our present plight firmly at Venky's door. The LET has been excellent recently in pointing the finger at the owners and telling them to get their act together.Oliver Holt was not so much anti-Rovers as pro-Paul Ince because Holt is a Manc and a good pal of Ince's. None of this is "irresponsible journalism". As I stated previously, the editorial checks and balances are no longer present on many local newspapers which is possibly why that headline got through. I'm certain that 10 years or more ago it would not have passed a senior editor. As for the hurt "feelings" of Rovers fans, please grow up.

I love how you quote instance of other journalists/pieces not written by Chris Flanagan as proof that his was not irresponsible journalism. You should be a politician.

We'll have to agree to disagree here Jim, but remind me, you are/were a journalist right?

And as for "grow up", is that really your best retort? :rolleyes:

Archived