BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Kony 2012

• Backroom

Invisible children is a scam.

Something about them doesnt sit right with me, over $1 million in travel expenses, $200k in wages, and they say not for profit?

• Backroom

I wouldn't say that's a big wage bill though Tom. Our CX earns that by himself. A worldwide charity will have a wage bill.

I was under the impression that was just for the two of them though.

I don't do hyped up crap... Maybe I should

To be fair, this seems to have had a real impact with Kids.

My 14 year old daughter came home telling me I had to watch something on Youtube. I told her that I had absolutely no interest in One Direction but I was really pleased that she meant this. She had quite an in depth knowledge of what was going on and even if it is hype at least it's getting kids interested in current affairs and issues.

Some very cynical comments. Although I was waiting for the buckets to start shaking, the main theme was to ensure worldwide notoriety for Kony.

I thought it was an acronym at first but now I'm aware that he is the world's worst criminal. I'm unlikely to write to my MO though. Maybe I should...

It's great isn't it. People try to do something to make a change for the better and they are greeted with cynicism, distrust and criticism by people who don't want to do anything. It's the best and worst things about the Internet age combined. Altruism v misanthropy.

Yeah, great, a bunch of people who have mostly never been to Uganda, have no idea what the situation there is, but they're told things are bad so they just believe every word and start itching for yet another war that may or may not have an actual purpose.

Of course, the UN is a fantastic humanitarian organisation, though, not a mere tool for those who want to continue imperialism by proxy in the 21st Century.

If we really want to make a difference then how about we start with Israel? The UN have more than enough evidence to try plenty of Israelis for war crimes, there are numerous incidents of human rights abuses, and the aggression shown by that country year on year only serves to destabilise the Middle East. But of course that doesn't fit the agenda, does it.

Then again, we could finish what we started in what used to be Yugoslavia before we undertake our next piece of armed tourism. Or we could clean up the mess in Iraq, or Afghanistan.

But hey, let's forget all that and go play hide and seek with the latest popular boogie-man instead. Forget that no-one has seen him in years, that his army has disbanded and that Uganda has other far bigger problems that we could help with.

Maybe it is good that young people are interested in a meaningful issue, but it would be really remarkable if they could have picked up on it without having it waved in front of them by a troop of well-meaning but naive celebrities, and even better if they had bothered to do some real research instead of watching a 30 minute video and assuming that it makes them an expert.

I wonder what prompted all this in the first place, given that it has already fallen on its face due to the massive exaggeration. I did enjoy Alex Jones' video calling for Angelina Jolie to be tried for war crimes though. :D

No problem.

But seriously, I've been to east Africa and if you want to help Ugandans then there are better things you could do than charge in looking for Kony. There are also countries that are in greater need than Uganda, but hey, we've got a pet project to make ourselves feel like we're making a difference, so anyone who tells us otherwise should just marginalised, right?

And as far as Israel goes, I would love to examine the list of their misdeeds that have gone unpunished, but I fear it would take rather too long and since the powers that be are never going to do anything to stop them I'd rather do something more productive.

Whilst I agree with you regarding KONY, you attack of the makers for simplyfying what is a very tricky geo-political situation then say we should just "deal" with Israel like that is Middle East solution....

but liek whatever and stuf...KONY 2012

No problem.

But seriously, I've been to east Africa and if you want to help Ugandans then there are better things you could do than charge in looking for Kony. There are also countries that are in greater need than Uganda, but hey, we've got a pet project to make ourselves feel like we're making a difference, so anyone who tells us otherwise should just marginalised, right?

And as far as Israel goes, I would love to examine the list of their misdeeds that have gone unpunished, but I fear it would take rather too long and since the powers that be are never going to do anything to stop them I'd rather do something more productive.

So Israel is off the table then. Bit of a climb down but fair enough.

I watch the video and noted the part with the list of the world's worst criminals (that doesn't appear to take into account oil or religion as its main criteria). It seemed the campaign leader(s) had targeted Kony because he is number one in the list and the main issue faced by Ugandans (when this first started) as cited by their Ugandan friend as the reason that they have "no future" and would "rather die". (Aside: Can you imagine being forced to kill you own mother?).

The actual way they have gone about it may seem a bit Hollywood and self-serving - but that's his skill set and he's using it to try to do something positive.

At this point I refer back again to the Mother Theresa adopted "Do It Anyway" poem.

Let's face it, a well-balanced, informed documentary on the sociopolitical state of Uganda would have sunk like a stone with the Twitter/Facebook/Reality TV masses. Yes, it would've been a much more professional and transparent way to get the message across... the only problem is that no one would have watched it! Some people couldn't even make it through this 30min sensationalist video, how would they manage a full-on documentary? Quite simply, they wouldn't have. The video has captured people's attention and raised awareness of a notorious war criminal. The information is out there for people to make up their own minds when before this video no one had a clue who or what a 'Kony' was.

Archived