BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] BRFC Action Group Badge - One Town?

JimFryatt

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere. I notice the BRFC Action Group badge includes the slogan "One Town, One Club, One Vision".

I have already had an exchange with Glen Mullan on Facebook on this subject and it may seem quite a trivial matter given what is happening at our club, but I have to say I find the 'One Town' aspect slightly offensive. I originate from Darwen, which is a separate town from Blackburn, and fiercely so, despite sharing a council. Certainly when I was growing up there the lumping together of the two towns caused a lot of bad feeling.

Although the vast majority of Rovers' support is local, it does encompass more than one town, which makes the slogan inaccurate.

I just wanted to gauge what others think? Am I being over sensitive? Is it an age thing? What do Rovers fans from other towns think?

I would add that Glen has offered to discuss this with his committee which is fair enough I suppose but I was amazed that nobody had the foresight to see that people who aren't from Blackburn might be narked by it.

Incidentally, I also mentioned in passing that the badge was a bit close to the design of the official club badge (not that this bothers me) but was told that it was 'nothing like it'..... comments on this would also be welcomed.

I tried to upload the badge below but it won't work and tbh I don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to uploading.......

16fsk1x9er9ivtvvjb6c.png&w=500&h=407&ei=ZOdSUOyhIMWY1AXMoYDIAw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=632&vpy=336&dur=561&hovh=202&hovw=249&tx=133&ty=92&sig=101472233648816556013&sqi=2&page=1&tbnh=159&tbnw=176&start=0&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:0,i:92

Great thread you must be proud'

Given the severe divisions between the fanbase I would have thought very carefully before potentially alienating a few more of them. Incidentally, The point was made in the original post that some would see it as a trivial matter so I guess you should be proud of the intelligent way you reacted to it. If you have no interest, don't respond!

God help us........the Club is falling apart around us and we get a thread like this!

I know - let's just carry on round and round in the circles that many posters here seem to go round in. It is a discussion board about the club and related matters is it not? Or should we just have a load of 'Kean Out' 'Venkys Out' threads as per usual?

Blackburn Rovers is associated with the town of Blackburn. They arent called Blackburn with Darwen Rovers. So I have no problem with the "Our Town" part. If Man Utd fans did something similar and fans from Asia kicked up a fuss......you see the point Im making here. BTW I live in Darwen

But it doesn't say 'our town', it says 'one town'.

Given the severe divisions between the fanbase I would have thought very carefully before potentially alienating a few more of them. Incidentally, I did make the point in the original post that some would see it as a trivial matter so I guess you should be proud of the intelligent way you reacted to it. If you have no interest, don't respond!

I know - let's just carry on round and round in the circles that many posters here seem to go round in. It is a discussion board about the club and related matters is it not? Or should we just have a load of 'Kean Out' 'Venkys Out' threads as per usual?

My arguement is still valid though. It is one town, Blackburn, as I stated in my previous post!

My arguement is still valid though. It is one town, Blackburn, as I stated in my previous post!

Nobody can dispute your assertion that Blackburn is one town because it is a fact. However, Blackburn Rovers isn't a town, it is a football club, with support culled from many towns.

The badge in question is that of the Blackburn Rovers Action Group, e.g. supporters.

However, if the good people of Darwen now no longer see themselves as Darreners but as part of Blackburn then that's fair enough, things must have changed in the last 50 years. I don't know how fans from other towns view it, they probably don't care.

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere. I notice the BRFC Action Group badge includes the slogan "One Town, One Club, One Vision".

I have already had an exchange with Glen Mullan on Facebook on this subject and it may seem quite a trivial matter given what is happening at our club, but I have to say I find the 'One Town' aspect slightly offensive. I originate from Darwen, which is a separate town from Blackburn, and fiercely so, despite sharing a council. Certainly when I was growing up there the lumping together of the two towns caused a lot of bad feeling.

Although the vast majority of Rovers' support is local, it does encompass more than one town, which makes the slogan inaccurate.

I just wanted to gauge what others think? Am I being over sensitive? Is it an age thing? What do Rovers fans from other towns think?

I would add that Glen has offered to discuss this with his committee which is fair enough I suppose but I was amazed that nobody had the foresight to see that people who aren't from Blackburn might be narked by it.

Incidentally, I also mentioned in passing that the badge was a bit close to the design of the official club badge (not that this bothers me) but was told that it was 'nothing like it'..... comments on this would also be welcomed.

I tried to upload the badge below but it won't work and tbh I don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to uploading.......

16fsk1x9er9ivtvvjb6c.png&w=500&h=407&ei=ZOdSUOyhIMWY1AXMoYDIAw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=632&vpy=336&dur=561&hovh=202&hovw=249&tx=133&ty=92&sig=101472233648816556013&sqi=2&page=1&tbnh=159&tbnw=176&start=0&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:0,i:92392161_4229512212853_2017967123_n.jpg

Rovers fan originally from Mellor, but now in Preston. I am not offended in anyway and presume the 'One Town' just relates to the word 'Blackburn'. Which is fair enough for me.

Looking at the early replies I suspect it might only be Darreners of a certain age (like me) that could be narked by it.

Incidentally while I'm in a pedantic mood the first part of the quote on your signature - "The harder I practice, the luckier I get" - was actually the golfer Gary Player, and if Steve Davis did say "I'd rather be lucky than good" he nicked it from an American WWII pilot :)

Looking at the early replies I suspect it might only be Darreners of a certain age (like me) that could be narked by it.

Incidentally while I'm in a pedantic mood the first part of the quote on your signature - "The harder I practice, the luckier I get" - was actually the golfer Gary Player, and if Steve Davis did say "I'd rather be lucky than good" he nicked it from an American WWII pilot :)

ooooooooooooooooooo meeeeow!!!! haha :brfcsmilie:

Im in a good mood as I just won £80 on the works draw and Im off to Bratislava tomorrow on a stag do!!!

I never said he said it first....;)

Both quotes were 'also' made by Steve Davis (the snooker player) during the 1980's. The first after being characterised as a robotic potting machine by the likes of Spitting Image and the 2nd after criticism that he was the luckiest player in the game. The snooker guru Frank Callan, Davis's coach at the time, also referenced this point regarding Davis when discussing the part that luck, or Lady Luck, as he called it, played in professional sport in his book "Frank Callans Snooker Clinic".

On topic, maybe Darweners are being a bit precious about this wording.

Given the severe divisions between the fanbase I would have thought very carefully before potentially alienating a few more of them. Incidentally, The point was made in the original post that some would see it as a trivial matter so I guess you should be proud of the intelligent way you reacted to it. If you have no interest, don't respond!

If you don't like what I post don't reply ;)

• Moderation Lead

I'm from Accrington and I couldn't care less about the 'one town' business. The team Blackburn Rovers play and are based in Blackburn, surprised this is causing an issue if I'm honest.....

On topic, maybe Darweners are being a bit precious about this wording.

Yes, you may be right about that. However, anyone around in the 70s and 80s would be aware of how loudly the Darwen Blues shouted about where they came from, so it shouldn't be that surprising really to hear someone from that era moaning about the insinuation that all Rovers fans come from one town. Also - there is a reason why the council is known as 'Blackburn with Darwen Council' and not simply 'Blackburn Council'.

Here's a thought -would Bolton fans have 'one town' on their badge when their ground isn't even in Bolton any longer?

Yes, you may be right about that. However, anyone around in the 70s and 80s would be aware of how loudly the Darwen Blues shouted about where they came from, so it shouldn't be that surprising really to hear someone from that era moaning about the insinuation that all Rovers fans come from one town. Also - there is a reason why the council is known as 'Blackburn with Darwen Council' and not simply 'Blackburn Council'.

Here's a thought -would Bolton fans have 'one town' on their badge when their ground isn't even in Bolton any longer?

But they are called Bolton Wanderers representing the town of Bolton. Not Horwich Wanderers!! next....

But they are called Bolton Wanderers representing the town of Bolton. Not Horwich Wanderers!! next....

But they don't JUST represent the town of Bolton do they? I think that's the point. If they did, they probably wouldn't have built their ground in Horwich.

And besides, this badge isn't a club badge, it is a supporters badge. We've established that Blackburn is an individual town, and now we've established that Bolton is too, but these aren't the issues are they? If Blackburn Rovers represented just the town of Blackburn you'd be lucky to get even half of what measly crowds we get these days.

What makes darwen blues more special than Chorley , leyland , accy , valley or helm shore blues ... All had good showings in the 80's?

John Leigh I would be very careful about using the word parochial the last person who used it was banned & never allowed back on we don't want you going the same way lol!.

Good to see you back Abs r u still up for the kidnapping of coco and his hench men and dump the lot of them of Darwen Tower lol! now we have a good chance with Mikey Delap's sabotage of the Martin Olsson transfer he has the experience of holding people between us lot we can achieve this lol!.

Archived