BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Loanees

Dave S

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No and I didn't say prolific, but just seems to be doing all right. Hey, i liked Santa Cruz and he was definitely easy on the eye but he was useless when he came back to Rovers so I don't see him through blue and white tinted glasses!

1 in 9 is Jason Roberts form. Or even worse, Fernando Torres.

Yeah Dino Baggio was useless.

Was Hakan Sukur a loan? I was gutted when he didn't stay permanently, he was one of my favourite non-Rovers strikers when I was younger (have no idea why though).

I remember coming home from work late to watch the glenchirbigli away game. Me and my son missed the team announcements so we were trying to sus out our team. We got 1 to 10 after about 5 minutes, it took us about 25 minutes to find the missing player. Step forward Dino Baggio, you managed to play a whole 30 minute spell without even nearly touching the ball ! That's not easy

I remember coming home from work late to watch the glenchirbigli away game. Me and my son missed the team announcements so we were trying to sus out our team. We got 1 to 10 after about 5 minutes, it took us about 25 minutes to find the missing player. Step forward Dino Baggio, you managed to play a whole 30 minute spell without even nearly touching the ball ! That's not easy

Didn't Souey insist on playing Baggio wide on the left? Defensive midfielder I thought. Was Djorkaeff a loan signing from Bolton or just 6 months of mediocrity?

Starbuck was a great shout! Poor player though, but had a great reputation.

Archibald was superb! Despite never eating, white as a ghost - looked very Scottish (sorry Majiball!) he was some player. At the time the 3 2 v Villa at Ewood, Stevie at the back post for the header, one of the great days.

Who else? Beglin, again previously mentioned, from Leeds was a class act on the ball (but no Baz). Stapleton was a permanent signing btw. Richard Witschge anyone? On loan from Barca in 95? Played one game I think. He's on the photos (not warhurst PV!)

I remember Grew! Good goalie. Did very well for us. David Byrne? Right winger from Plymouth circa 86. Massive hair. Think that was a loan.

Yet, despite it all, Modeste was utter Kean.

Best ones have to be Archibald, Bentley and Shearer (on "loan" from Newcastle for 4 years - the best of his career by a country mile (mind you, he still wasn't bad, just not as prolific - that'll be the achilles v Everton pre season, slowed him right down that did))

Djorkaeff was a free transfer on a 3 month contract, played decent on his debut think it was against Villa and he might have got an assist too iirc. Only played twice more I think.

You're right, he was a free, i remember now. Was a fantastic player in his time an all. Never happened with us though unfortunately. Who signed him? Souness?

Kevin Arnott was a superb signing for Rovers. We didn't have any money so he ended up on loan twice. I think Blunderland sold him to Rotherham for a lot less than we offered.

EDIT I always thought that Rovers were quoted £250k. He went to Sheff U on a free transfer then back on loan to Rovers then to Rotherham.

Shame, he did really well for us.

Archived