BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Loanees

Dave S

Rovers may be about to enter the loan market.

Over the years we have signed a number of 'Loan Rovers.' Does anyone have any favorites or cringeworthy loan signings?

A favorite of mine was Mark Grew. When Rovers were at a low ebb he came in and was superb in goal. The Blackburn End took to him and chanted his name, he was rapidly becoming a fans favorite. It shows how skint Rovers were as he came on loan from Port Vale. They recalled him and we couldn't afford to buy him.

Any memories?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Terry Shanahan think he came from Halifax of all places ..about 1973 , think he scored at least one goal .

Peter Silvester from somewhere beat notts county 6=0 on his debut and he didnt score ... 1976 i think .

Terry Shanahan, that's a blast from the past. He came on loan from Ipswich Town for whom he played 3 first team games after an earlier spell as a Spurs trainee.. After his loan spell at Rovers which encompassed 6 games and 2 goals ( both scored in a home game against my adopted home town team Rochdale ) he moved on to a permanent transfer to Halifax ( 88 games- 8 subs- 23 goals ). Later on he had a good spell at Chesterfield (56-4-28), before playing for Millwall (13-7-5), Bournemouth (14-4-1) and finally Aldershot (16-0-4). What bit I saw of him I thought that he was a lively, hard running winger/ striker. I was surprised we never pursued him but Ken Furphy had his head screwed on and he must have known the great Tony Field was just around the corner.

One loanee from that era that springs to mind is Dave Gregory, he scored in 4 games out of the 6 he played for us but we let him slip through our fingers !

Di Santo and Diouf were both fine except for one thing- utterly couldn't finish. Modeste was worse.

Bentley wasn't that great when he was on loan, was just ok. Then as soon as we signed him he banged a hat trick against United! And from then on was fantastic for us.

I expected people to mention Gresko. I remember everybody saying he was great on loan, when I personally thought he was average at best, and were happy when we signed him. Turned out to be dross.

An ex player was brought on to the pitch at half time at Peterborough on Saturday - David Gregory. My memory might be playing tricks but I seem to recall he had a couple of loan spells with us. And Kevin Arnott seemed to be around for a few spells as a loanee. Perhaps the biggest impact of any player though was Steve Archibald on loan from Barcelona.

Phil Starbuck, loaned from Forest if I remember correctly. I remember being excited with this loan deal, probably because of his last name!!! My memory tells me he was a reasonable attacking midfielder, but I'm sure I will get shot down in flames with those who remember him better!

Loved Grewy, wasn't Gennoe injured and we had a struggling Paul Shepstone in goal? Grew came in and was superb for us.

Did we have Jim Beglin for a few games too? Remember he was coming back from serious injury, looked class for us but the injury was too much for him and had to retire early?

Archived