BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Have pro. footballers in general lost all true values? How could it be changed?

I said all this 15 years ago and more. Sky killed it and the fans lapped up every moment - until it was too late.

I'm in South Africa at present and spoke to a young man explaining we lived near Manchester. To say he was incredulous that I don't watch United is an enormous understatement. He was equally incredulous when my wife said we all hate United.

Says it all really.

No ABU''s in the townships then!!

I was pleasantly surprised in Dublin back in the 94-5 season, when a total stranger crossed the road to speak to us after noticing one of my kids' wonderful Rovers strip.

He began the conversation like this.

"Good luck to yous. Remember ... you're not just doing it it for yourselves. It's for the rest of us too!"

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paul doesn't sound as desperate for attention as yourself, though, Gordy.

Don't know what any different? What are you even talking about?

I wasn't having a pop at you or Maj for that matter, in honesty it was a back handed complement as you appear well informed. I'm sorry you took it that way. You surely can't deny that in the past 25 years, morals associated with the game in England haven't rapidly declined?

I don't profess to know all the answers but teaching sportsmanship, morals, humility, manners and values should be paramount in young players development as opposed to lavishing untold wealth before any things been really achieved.

I'm personally at the point where I can take the game or leave it tbh which is something I never thought I'd feel. (Venkys 3 year tenure has really helped, not!). The greed and nonsense that surrounds the game in general has been a major catalyst.

When did you have a pop at me?

Obviously if you have I'll meet you at dawn at Ewood, bring your pistol.

You didn't Maj sorry but I guess you remember Grandstand!

I feel extremely angry and extremely emotive with regards to what's happened to pro. football as a sport and not just at BRFC, that's just made matters many times worse.

I do feel that the 'younger generation' don't generally appreciate the difference.

If we were mid table in the Second Division (Championship) 25 years ago, drawn against Man City in the 3rd Round of FA Cup, Blackburn would be buzzing with expectation and Ewood would have been full on the day.

The demise of stature of the oldest and most prestigious cup competition in the world sums the demise up for me. It's only the FA that could oversee that and not worry about it.

• Backroom

what does a parent know about becoming a professional footballer?

That doesn't matter even SLIGHTLY. A parent's basic job is to teach their kid not to be a tosser. They don't need to know anything about any profession to do that.

Archived