BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Have pro. footballers in general lost all true values? How could it be changed?

Maybe players like the young lad from Stanley. Maybe any player who has no chance of getting a game at clubs who make big money signings, and persist in playing those signings even though they are not producing. Maybe players who are not quite skilful enough but are willing to bust a gut to be given a chance. Maybe players who just want to prove they can play good football. I also suggested that the pay should be success related, I never said the pay should be crap. The incentive of if you are successful, you will be well rewarded, has always been a good one. I am not saying that this system would make a mediocre team into winners, but it MIGHT give the club players who want to be there.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not all rosey in the Rugby League garden, far from it but it's a damned sight better than in the Association Football one.

A salary cap of £1.65m per club (not per player!) goes some way to keeping players' feet on the ground. At Wembley this year after Wigan's Challenge Cup Final win, the players had gone and got their mobiles/digital cameras and were taking photos of the Wigan fans. Do you see Man City or Chelsea players doing that?

Unbeknown to eveyone at the time, things started going downhill with the advent of the Premier League and the ridiculously high amounts of money put into the game via Sky tv. Once the Bosman ruling kicked in, players found increasing amounts of money ending up in their back pockets instead of the bank accounts of the clubs who employed them. Not necessarily a bad thing you may say but the 'we want success and we want it now' attitude of most clubs meant that players wages continued to rise like never before and at a time when clubs were also in danger of going under like never previously.

I won't even start to go on about clubs like AFC Darwen and how monies don't filter down to grass roots levels like they should. In the main due to journeymen players like Leon Best and DJ Campbell (and hundreds of others) taking home more each week than either a surgeon or indeed a prime minister.

I've fallen out of love with football, partly due to Venky's, in part due to the attitude of footballers. I don't miss it one bit.

...And how many players do you think would be decent enough to except those terms digger? ^_^

All of them if lower league clubs agreed to do the same.

However if every team is on the same performance related deal it would cancel out any perceived advantage

You forgot Transfer syndicates or player Investment funds as they are apparently known in places as diverse as Barnet , Zurich, the far East and various offshore islands, got to keep those players moving Stuart for the benefit of the players owners (just lucky the FA pay lip service to the obvious 3rd party owned players otherwise Rovers might have seen double the turn over on the player transfer conveyor belt) and the added bonus of bets placed on the transfers , :)

The players are well paid for being a multi income revenue stream commodity for third parties whether they are playing or not and as such are pampered to keep the revenue streams flowing.

All that came later. It was the vast sums of money that were possible following Hill and Bosman which brought the rats into the game.

I said all this 15 years ago and more. Sky killed it and the fans lapped up every moment - until it was too late.

I'm in South Africa at present and spoke to a young man explaining we lived near Manchester. To say he was incredulous that I don't watch United is an enormous understatement. He was equally incredulous when my wife said we all hate United.

Says it all really.

It's not all rosey in the Rugby League garden, far from it but it's a damned sight better than in the Association Football one.

A salary cap of £1.65m per club (not per player!) goes some way to keeping players' feet on the ground. At Wembley this year after Wigan's Challenge Cup Final win, the players had gone and got their mobiles/digital cameras and were taking photos of the Wigan fans. Do you see Man City or Chelsea players doing that?

Unbeknown to eveyone at the time, things started going downhill with the advent of the Premier League and the ridiculously high amounts of money put into the game via Sky tv. Once the Bosman ruling kicked in, players found increasing amounts of money ending up in their back pockets instead of the bank accounts of the clubs who employed them. Not necessarily a bad thing you may say but the 'we want success and we want it now' attitude of most clubs meant that players wages continued to rise like never before and at a time when clubs were also in danger of going under like never previously.

I won't even start to go on about clubs like AFC Darwen and how monies don't filter down to grass roots levels like they should. In the main due to journeymen players like Leon Best and DJ Campbell (and hundreds of others) taking home more each week than either a surgeon or indeed a prime minister.

I've fallen out of love with football, partly due to Venky's, in part due to the attitude of footballers. I don't miss it one bit.

You are far from alone in that viewpoint CLB.

Not allowed to toot your own trumpet on here Paul... on Amarillo's orders.

Paul doesn't sound as desperate for attention as yourself, though, Gordy.

In fairness to Amarillo and the generation of less than 35 years of age in general, they don't know any different.

Don't know what any different? What are you even talking about?

Perhaps the clue's in the OP, enough said.

Drog's post had little to do with the original topic. I've already posted my thoughts on the matter, if you care to look. What part of them suggests I don't know any better?

In fairness to Amarillo and the generation of less than 35 years of age in general, they don't know any different.

Doesn't mean we haven't learned about it. I used to worked behind a bar, which on a Friday was primarily inhabited by local people over 50 (all or most Rover fans). Speaking to them on a weekly basis for 6 years has given me a pretty good understanding of football pre/post Hill & Bosman.

I don't need to be over 35 to realise that football is completely out of control. In fact I don't really have to look past my own club do I. Morons being paid a Kings Ransom to do sod all - For what it's worth Amo is right with his first post on the thread. Kids are plucked out of council estates and mollycoddled through an academy and told that they are the best thing since sliced bread.

Many sacrifice a decent education (I accept many wouldn't have the slightest inclination to learn anyway), because they expect to be footballers. Is it any wonder they have a chip on their shoulder when someone tells them they're @#/??

My belief is that all academy players should do a morning training and then be sent to learn a trade/complete their education in the afternoon. Too many @#/? about for 3 years, get dropped like a stone and end up being a drain on society.

Doesn't mean we haven't learned about it. I used to worked behind a bar, which on a Friday was primarily inhabited by local people over 50 (all or most Rover fans). Speaking to them on a weekly basis for 6 years has given me a pretty good understanding of football pre/post Hill & Bosman.

I don't need to be over 35 to realise that football is completely out of control. In fact I don't really have to look past my own club do I. Morons being paid a Kings Ransom to do sod all - For what it's worth Amo is right with his first post on the thread. Kids are plucked out of council estates and mollycoddled through an academy and told that they are the best thing since sliced bread.

Many sacrifice a decent education (I accept many wouldn't have the slightest inclination to learn anyway), because they expect to be footballers. Is it any wonder they have a chip on their shoulder when someone tells them they're kean?

My belief is that all academy players should do a morning training and then be sent to learn a trade/complete their education in the afternoon. Too many kean about for 3 years, get dropped like a stone and end up being a drain on society.

I thought that was what the Academies were all about

Well I think that is the plan but if the entire teams gets a GCSE between it then its classed as a sucess!

and I suppose if they spell success correctly they then get £50k a week as a start

(just teasing)

seriously though, if clubs are going to take these people on and change their life, they should also teach them correct values as standard

Always great to see the players do their bit this time of the year. Disabled Supporters Christmas party and visiting the children at Blackburn Hospital.

You do forget how young some of these players are! I like to think I'm still learning a hell of a lot day in day out, and at 26 I'm older than most of the current Rovers team!

Team vs. Millwall

Eastwood (24), Henley (19), Dann (26), Hanley (22), Spurr (26), Marshall (22), Lowe (22), Cairney (22), Taylor (26), King (21), Rhodes (23)

Dunn (33), Gestede (25)

That doesnt include a lot of other young players! Kean (22) Rochina (22) Kane (20)

and I suppose if they spell success correctly they then get £50k a week as a start

(just teasing)

seriously though, if clubs are going to take these people on and change their life, they should also teach them correct values as standard

I'd say its down to parents to teach these kids values, not a football club

Archived