BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benefit tv

P.s. I do have one big gripe about the town centre though, I wish that somebody would bloody do something with the old cinema(which was formally the Apollo) Its such a gorgeous old building inside- http://www.taylorweaver.co.uk/PropertySheet.aspx?property=384 My wet dream would be for somebody to turn it into an independent cinema(similar to Manchester's cornerhouse)

I was directly involved with the conversion of the three screen Unit 4 into the 5 screen Apollo, and subsequently it's closure. Vue have the cinema business in the town sewn up, even though it's a third rate fit out, far too expensive and the security problems are a nightmare.

As for King William street, originally the plans were for housing (inwardly overlooking a courtyard) but a Cornerhouse type offer ? I daresay some of the areas of Blackburn have a customer base for that type of thing, but who wants to come into the Town centre at night ?

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was directly involved with the conversion of the three screen Unit 4 into the 5 screen Apollo, and subsequently it's closure. Vue have the cinema business in the town sewn up, even though it's a third rate fit out, far too expensive and the security problems are a nightmare.

As for King William street, originally the plans were for housing (inwardly overlooking a courtyard) but a Cornerhouse type offer ? I daresay some of the areas of Blackburn have a customer base for that type of thing, but who wants to come into the Town centre at night ?

No one, it has been like that for years, result, no where near enough pubs to create a night life, terminal decline it would seem

Good. He's a real character.

Always remember 1st time he came to the Auberge, with his front of house guy, the one with the limp, inspected our kitchen and had the customers talking under their breath's

saying things like who is that!

:lol:

• Backroom

On the subject of parking we normally park on morrisons for a quid which you get back if you buy anything in store

The main problem being you have to walk through a wall of smoke upon exit where masses congregate waiting for their taxis

On the subject of parking we normally park on morrisons for a quid which you get back if you buy anything in store

The main problem being you have to walk through a wall of smoke upon exit where masses congregate waiting for their taxis

'pall'?

Would be sound if there were some actual bars open you could go to after, not pretty much nowt!!

The"plans" apparently shw The Aldephi having a face lift and being done into a "wine bar " type . Not sure if any more pubs planned. I treck if they did he Brewrs up and opened that after with say a carvery that would be ok.

Yoda if the alcohol ban around cathedral how how do they win to blood trick then? :goal:

The"plans" apparently shw The Aldephi having a face lift and being done into a "wine bar " type . Not sure if any more pubs planned. I treck if they did he Brewrs up and opened that after with say a carvery that would be ok.

Yoda if the alcohol ban around cathedral how how do they win to blood trick then? :goal:

you know the score ABBEY,

do as I say, not what I do,

all the premises on cathedral grounds have the covenants, enquired about a couple in the past.

i sense dingles at work

Eh? Nothing to do with dingles. Its because another major Blackburn employer is moving out. Not massively surprising Thwaites don't want to be associated with a town where about 50% of the population consider it a sin to drink alcohol. Still sad though what this town is becoming, a barren lifeless dump.

Eh? Nothing to do with dingles. Its because another major Blackburn employer is moving out. Not massively surprising Thwaites don't want to be associated with a town where about 50% of the population consider it a sin to drink alcohol. Still sad though what this town is becoming, a barren lifeless dump.

"Eh?" so you criticise one person for talking bumkem(even though they where likely only kidding in the 1st place) then you invent an even more fanciful/almost liable reason why thwaites are changing premises.

C'mon smelly and dirty industries like Thwaites have been unwanted in town centres across the country for decades now. Why does everybody only view these things from one perspective? I'd imagine the Thwaites board of directors now have the chance to sell the site and restructure in a modern, efficient and up to date out of town facility for very little cost. Given the market place for beer sales now being bargain basement through supermarkets rather than pubs from their point of view bringing down the cost of the manufacture of beer is crucial not to their business but rather to their survival!

For generations the brewery and it's tied pubs have underpinned BwD council and the towns population providing massive revenues from business rates and wages. We cant expect such to last forever and particularly not when as SKH points out the town has promoted a change in demography where only a tiny fraction of the population now actually drink beer can we? I can't imagine a chain of pork butchers opening an abattoir and a chain of outlets across the middle east for example. Small wonder 'micro' breweries are all the rage cos it's all we are going to need soon around here. In addition given that we have a council that is now effectively under the control of muslims I doubt the brewery would attract much support or benevolent future cooperation from that direction would it?

Just as an aside and with a few old pub premises in mind does anybody know what might the council expect to draw in business rates etc from a pub compared to a madrassa?

C'mon smelly and dirty industries like Thwaites have been unwanted in town centres across the country for decades now. Why does everybody only view these things from one perspective? I'd imagine the Thwaites board of directors now have the chance to sell the site and restructure in a modern, efficient and up to date out of town facility for very little cost. Given the market place for beer sales now being bargain basement through supermarkets rather than pubs from their point of view bringing down the cost of the manufacture of beer is crucial not to their business but rather to their survival!

For generations the brewery and it's tied pubs have underpinned BwD council and the towns population providing massive revenues from business rates and wages. We cant expect such to last forever and particularly not when as SKH points out the town has promoted a change in demography where only a tiny fraction of the population now actually drink beer can we? I can't imagine a chain of pork butchers opening an abattoir and a chain of outlets across the middle east for example. Small wonder 'micro' breweries are all the rage cos it's all we are going to need soon around here. In addition given that we have a council that is now effectively under the control of muslims I doubt the brewery would attract much support or benevolent future cooperation from that direction would it?

Just as an aside and with a few old pub premises in mind does anybody know what might the council expect to draw in business rates etc from a pub compared to a madrassa?

"a tiny fraction", Slight exaggeration me thinks! and how much of that beer(and other alcoholic drinks) is bought from local shops, spars, petrol stations, off licenses. etc... that are run and/or owned by Asian people that are largely relying on alcohol sales to get people into their shops.

"Eh?" so you criticise one person for talking bumkem(even though they where likely only kidding in the 1st place) then you invent an even more fanciful/almost liable reason why thwaites are changing premises.

Spot on TJ, humour by passes some people on this board, the dingles would have been dining out on that stunt for decades, obviously they don't have enough nouse to pull it off though.

SKH, go at your own speed, don't try to keep up

It's more jobs in the area destroyed. It doesn't appear to bother you though Gordon. Being redundant is no fun.

Archived