BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] replica shirt, full members cup.

I need a bit of information here, just to clear up something that has sort of bugged me for years.

I have bought a replica Perspex shirt from the shop AFTER the full members final had been played.it had WEMBLEY 1987 embroidered above the red rose. I "think" I remember there being a scrap of card saying words to the effect of "very limited stock, only 20 available"

ok... so I bought one, just thinking they had been produced as a momento to the event. HOWEVER, something in recent years had me thinking....because I note on all the photos of the actual final, and the celebrations after the match... the players do NOT have wembley 1987 on their shirts.

would I be way off the mark to suggest that these shirts that were for sale, later in the shop, might have been MEANT for the team? might have been produced too late for the big day, so sold off afterwards?

I know it's a long shot...but, imho... IF the club were selling momento shirts to the fans, surely the players would have had a set?..

anyway... I look at this shirt on an almost daily basis cos it's on one of our walls... and, apart from the fact it's a "m" size, something i'll never see again , it is just one little query i'd like clearing.

over to you, the knowledgeable collective.. thanks

thanks for the input folks. Baz, you obviously were there at the time., but, do you not think it odd that a shirt "produced" AFTER a cup final victory, would have no mention of "winners" anywhere in the added embroidery? the wording of "Wembley 1987" is EXACTLY the same, as a flag I bought on Wembley way just prior to kick off... from some cockney wide boy flogging his unofficial wares lol.

I bow to your superior knowledge though, if you have a "kids" one...then obviously they were not a "delayed players shirt" as I mistakenly thought could be the case ... :tu:

thanks for the input folks. Baz, you obviously were there at the time., but, do you not think it odd that a shirt "produced" AFTER a cup final victory, would have no mention of "winners" anywhere in the added embroidery? the wording of "Wembley 1987" is EXACTLY the same, as a flag I bought on Wembley way just prior to kick off... from some cockney wide boy flogging his unofficial wares lol.

I bow to your superior knowledge though, if you have a "kids" one...then obviously they were not a "delayed players shirt" as I mistakenly thought could be the case ... :tu:

I cant say yours wasn't a players one, but i remember having to wait ages for a kids one (was probably a month, but seemed like 6 months when your 10). I still think that cup run re-ignited the club and fans, after that we started getting higher gates at home, and had some fantastic seasons for the money we had at the time.

If memory serves me right you struggled to buy a Rovers shirt at all in those days, they usually made a few, sold them out and that was it!

The club was a different beast then so creating shirts after the fact to cash in sounds about right to me, was probably an after thought by Bill Fox and he forgot to mention we'd won the thing!!

Fantastic day, one I'll never forget :tu:

Archived