BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Please Donate. Prostatecanceruk Or Ochre Or Both!

Mike E

• Backroom

I'm running the Edinburgh Marathon on 29th May 2016 on behalf of 2 brilliant charities.

Most of my friends will already know that my dad is living with prostate cancer. He was diagnosed in November 2015 and given a prognosis of 5-7years. I may be facing the prospect of losing the best man in my life by the time I'm 30.

I'm running this race not only as a personal challenge (always wanted to run a real marathon), but in honour of my dad and millions of others who are living (or have passed) with this @#/? of an illness. It's an illness that affects many thousands of men every year, yet many men don't bother thinking about getting tested because it shows little in the way of symptoms.

My dad (aged 70 at the time) had no symptoms, just a niggly pain in his leg. He went to the doctor, who gave him a blood test, followed by a PSA test. A high PSA result would be 4 or more. My dad's was 775. The pain in his leg indicated metastasis (spread from the prostate) and tests concluded the cancer was an aggressive one.

Don't let men suffer through this without helping to cure it or at least treat the symptoms so that suffering is lessened.

I'm also hoping to raise money for Ochre, The Oesophageal Cancer charity, in memory of my Uncle Nico who sadly lost a short but devastating battle with the illness. Not enough is known about detecting oesophageal cancer, so it is creeping up the charts as one of the most lethal cancers with many diagnoses coming only when the growth is large enough to stop someone eating or drinking. It is a horrific thing to witness and awareness is needed. Please donate what you can here:

ProstateCancerUK: https://www.justgiving.com/Michael-Ellison24

OCHRE:https://www.justgiving.com/Michael-Ellison25

• Backroom

Secondary note: if you donate, please identify yourself either here or by PM so I can give you a proper thank you. Any contribution from £1 to £INFINITY is greatly appreciated.

Hi Mike,

As a keen runner myself, and having seen a university friend suffer from Oesophageal Cancer, who unfortunately lost their life in 2013, I am delighted to donate to your cause. I am sorry it can't be more - only on one income at the moment following the birth of my daughter 6 months ago.

Stay strong, and good luck with the race - I admire your determination and strength in difficult times.

Sam

• Backroom

Hi Mike,

As a keen runner myself, and having seen a university friend suffer from Oesophageal Cancer, who unfortunately lost their life in 2013, I am delighted to donate to your cause. I am sorry it can't be more - only on one income at the moment following the birth of my daughter 6 months ago.

Stay strong, and good luck with the race - I admire your determination and strength in difficult times.

Sam

Don't be daft, £10 is plenty. I'd hate people to give more than they can afford. It's very much appreciated Sam :)

Also many thanks to the anonymous donors on both pages.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Backroom

Marathon training well underway! Chorley Fire 10k in 54:16, chuffed to bits with that! Be even more chuffed (smooth, Michael) if people would kindly continue to donate to ProstateCancerUK or OCHRE, for whom I will be running the Edinburgh Marathon in 2016. All donations appreciated:

https://www.justgiving.com/Michael-Ellison24

post-16824-0-03498000-1448196678_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Backroom

I just wanted to say thank you so much for the generosity shown by members on here. I've actually had more donations from this site than from people I know (who will be donating nearer the time).

For all the fretting about this place going down the pan, it's a wonderful community. I genuinely had a little cry this morning when I saw the latest donations :)

Thank you so much you brilliant people.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good luck Mike. My wonderful Dad died of pancreatic cancer in 1991. He was in agony and it was 6 months from diagnosis to him passing away. I still think of him every day.

I feel for you; I am also impressed with what you are doing. 100% credit to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Will sponsor you nearer the time Michael. This weekend is the big one for us with our elder daughter coming from Munich to run the London Marathon for Bowel Cancer UK. We're going to watch. She is the world's least likely to do anything sporty so this is a huge challenge for her.

Archived