BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sheffield Wednesday Preview

It's interesting seeing all the comparisons between this team and all the other promotion winning teams, I'd say people are right in the main, they aren't as good.

Fortunately though, we don't need to worry TOO MUCH about that as we won't be playing them! We need to worry about our competition in this league right here, right now for me. Whilst I don't expect us to do much this season, fundamentally a game of football is only ever 11 men vs 11 men, anything can happen!!

It can, but both goals on Saturday were crying out for someone to take command and deal with it. We don't have that player, whereas some other teams in this division do. It's hard to get promoted when you don't have that dominant defender or keeper.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It can, but both goals on Saturday were crying out for someone to take command and deal with it. We don't have that player, whereas some other teams in this division do. It's hard to get promoted when you don't have that dominant defender or keeper.

We had a dominant defender on the pitch, unfortunately he was down injured in their penalty area, the referee let play go on and they scored.

Regardless of that if Jordan hadn't headed the ball at the keeper in the last minute and put it either side of him we would have won.

Wednesday were fortunate, we were better than them.

We had a dominant defender on the pitch, unfortunately he was down injured in their penalty area, the referee let play go on and they scored.

Regardless of that if Jordan hadn't headed the ball at the keeper in the last minute and put it either side of him we would have won.

Wednesday were fortunate, we were better than them.

There's no doubt Hanley has improved a lot from last season when he was bracketed on here with Lowe as only being in the team because of being Bowyer's pet. He wins a lot in the air and, maybe it's nostalgia, but I don't see him as remotely close to the kind of dominant centre half I was thinking of as necessary to beat out 21 other teams to win promotion. For the first goal he was anything but decisive and dominant, which I feel is a common feature to his play. Hunter, McNamee, Hawkins, Keeley, Faz etc had varying degrees of ability but could always be relied on to take charge. Add in a bog standard goalie to the mix and it's clear to me why it doesn't take a good goal to score against us.

There's no doubt Hanley has improved a lot from last season when he was bracketed on here with Lowe as only being in the team because of being Bowyer's pet. He wins a lot in the air and, maybe it's nostalgia, but I don't see him as remotely close to the kind of dominant centre half I was thinking of as necessary to beat out 21 other teams to win promotion. For the first goal he was anything but decisive and dominant, which I feel is a common feature to his play. Hunter, McNamee, Hawkins, Keeley, Faz etc had varying degrees of ability but could always be relied on to take charge. Add in a bog standard goalie to the mix and it's clear to me why it doesn't take a good goal to score against us.

You've failed to ignore the highly ineffective Shane Duffy in all of this of which Grant Hanley comes out the better player of the two.

You've failed to ignore the highly ineffective Shane Duffy in all of this of which Grant Hanley comes out the better player of the two.

Taking into account everything that's gone on at the club, I think we are quite lucky because how many other teams in this division have two young international centre backs on their books?

Yes, both need to improve but I think it's evident already that this is happening, especially looking at Duffy last year compared to this. Same can be said about Hanley.

Let's give Lambert time to improve them even more before writing them off as never to be better than average championship players or worse.

Taking into account everything that's gone on at the club, I think we are quite lucky because how many other teams in this division have two young international centre backs on their books?

Yes, both need to improve but I think it's evident already that this is happening, especially looking at Duffy last year compared to this. Same can be said about Hanley.

Let's give Lambert time to improve them even more before writing them off as never to be better than average championship players or worse.

I'd never class Shane Duffy as International class more like struggling championship class.

Archived