BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sheffield Wednesday Preview

So this is a tad belated and shorter than I had intended (I wanted to do another "behind the scenes insight into Lambert's appointment" as part of the preview) due to family bereavement, illness and a rather busy period of work. Fortunately, Ashley a Wednesday season ticket holder I work with was able to answer some questions on the upcoming game and give a bit of an insight into the opposition.

So here goes:

1) There was quite a bit of change in the summer. What did fans make of it at the time? And what were your expectations before the season began?
The change in ownership was seen as a very positive step. After the breakdown of the last sale of the club I was reassured that manderic would only sell to enhance the club. The departure of Stuart gray was disappointing at the time as he had done wonders on a shoe strung budget. The appointment of our new manager was seen sceptically as he was an unknown entity. 17 new players over the summer was worrying Asian expected them not to gel until the new year. My expectations were hoping for a top 10 finish at best!
2) How has the season gone so far? Are expectations revised at all?
The start to the season has surprised many and has made me start expecting a little more. It has been many years since I went to Hillsborough with belief we will win whoever we play. Now I seriously think the play offs are in our grasp!
3) You're not doing too badly in the cup either. How come?
The cup run has been exciting also. Expected - perhaps not, but the depth of our squad and the rotation policy has meant I think we are hard to plan against. Our main striker is cup tied ( forrestieri) so the whole tactics have been changed. When we played Newcastle we made 9 changes to the side that went out in the league the previous Saturday. Against arsenal we left a couple of players out. The players have a winning mentality and the chairman has shown his commitment with the vast squad and the stadium improvements. Non of these are financially benefitting him but shows he wants the club back in the premier league for our 150 year anniversary
4) Who have been the best/key players in your team this season? Who do Rovers need to be worried about?
Key players for me are bannon, jauo, forrestieri and Lee. Wallace and hunt can be handfuls also.
5) As a non-Rovers fan what's your view of Blackburn and our situation? Anyone in our team you're worried about facing?
Many clubs that have fallen from the premier league have struggled to find there feet again and unfortunately Blackburn are one. They have such huge outgoings that the finances are hard to overcome. Everyone presumes that they will bounce straight back and failure of this will inevitably lead to managers losing their jobs! The transfer embargo compounds the issue. Would I sell Rhodes to get out of it no ( unless it's to us) he always scores against us ( 4 in one match once).

6) What type of match do you think it'll be and can I get a score prediction?

I think 3-1 to the owls but half time 0-0. We have been starting slow

A few thoughts:

Starting slow is putting it mildly. In the last 6 league games Wednesday haven't scored in the first half, which given they've only lost once in the last 8 (note to previous managers of cautious repute it includes multiple - 4 - wins) shows that they are pretty slow out of the blocks. It will be vital that Rovers capitalize on this and come out and take the game to Wednesday from the start, especially as they seem to get better as the game develops. If Rovers can get an early goal (or two) then I feel confident that we can get the win, despite Wednesday being in good form.

Given there is so much change from last season - manager and team - it is perhaps reading too much into things to consider how we fared against them last season. Both teams too an away victory over their opponents. One thing that stood out last season is that their defense struggled to cope with Brown so perhaps a physical presence like Koita could be a suitable strategy on Saturday. However only 1 of the expected back 4 (plus keeper) is likely to remain the same from that time. So perhaps not.

Whilst we lack strikers Wednesday annoyingly have an abundance of them. Their top two strikers are Lucas Joao (6 goals) and Forestieri (5 goals) and have a creditable return of goals for this stage of the season. They've also recently signed Hooper on loan from Norwich who hasn't played much this season but last year got into double figures as Norwich gained promotion. Joao also made his debut for the Portugese national team in the recent international break. The rest of the team are scoring, whilst their 4th striker Matias also has 2 more goals - which is sadly more than our reserve strikers combined total over the last few years... Hanley and co will have to be at their best to keep them out and will need a lot of protection from Apkan and Evans.

Overall when I volunteered for this preview and looking at Wednesday's recent form I feared the worst. Wednesday are scoring goals, and on a good run at the moment losing 1 in 8 and having the feel-good factor of the cup. They have strength in depth and quality in the squad. It's a tough game. HOWEVER Lambert is no mug, we've the new manager bounce, and Wednesday clearly have the weakness of being poor in the first half. Plus Rhodes always has a field of a day against them both for us and Huddersfield. With all that in mind I'm going for a draw 2-2 with Rhodes x2 (who else?) scoring for us.

It's early days in the Lambert revolution but I'm expecting an exciting game of football. It's still early days in Lambert's reign but to me this will be a real test of where we are at as a team. Tough but winnable opposition, I've a feeling this game will tell us a lot about how much Lambert has to do to get us charging up the table.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Cheers for getting a good preview done in difficult circumstances Blue Blood.

It might just be the positive vibes that have been around since Lambert's appointment, but I'm going for 2-0 Rovers. Rhodes and Marshall.

I think- rovers 2 Wednesday 4.

Wake up call that Lambert has much to do.

I remember that game.

It caused us to buy Paul Warhurst because he was immense against us.

Back to 2015 and this is a big challenge for the new Rovers. Hopefully we don't get the deflating feeling we had about this time last season- we had just scraped into 6th place when Wednesday came to Ewood and grabbed a 90th minute winner starting and absolutely dire run of eight or nine games without a win against decidedly ordinary opponents.

Whatever happens, should be a big crowd with thousands of Wednesday dans hoping to cheer their side into the play off positions by full time. Hopefully the Blackburn faithful turn out in droves to welcome the new man.

I'll settle for 7-2 again

The days of many goals, fired by PL ambition are long gone. I want the Lambert feel good factor to ramp up the crowd and see us get back to back wins. A bit of win at all costs, which Gary never achieved. We need a run of positive results. A long way to go but small steps, and Wednesday aren't that good are they?

What a game that 7-2 was, Hodgsons sides played some great stuff early on, some of the best I've seen on Ewood. Also notable is the small following of Wendies and they had a few like that at Rovers when things were going sadly wrong at their club. Just something to keep in mind after Sat when they are all over social media telling us how they've always brought 4k (they have a good few times as well) :rover:

On to this game and I think it could be an awkward one and other than the tempo and workrate increasing a bit I'm not sure things will be greatly different to when Bowyer was here. It's still his team after all although Lambert will give it better direction for sure but first and foremost it sounds like he wants us hard to beat.

I'm going a tough but quite entertaining draw.

Rovers 1 Weds 1

17,683 (3,900 Owls)

The days of many goals, fired by PL ambition are long gone. I want the Lambert feel good factor to ramp up the crowd and see us get back to back wins. A bit of win at all costs, which Gary never achieved. We need a run of positive results. A long way to go but small steps, and Wednesday aren't that good are they?

We aren't that good mate, no please underestimate us. We are better at home than away so you have a chance, but we are a top team going one way and that is up the league (not necessarily promotion but progress).

I hope we start Joao, but can see us starting the big donkey Nuhiu, who is a big lump with little quality. He will tire and then we will kick on in he last half hour.

We are going to miss Hutchinson in our engine room, as the dirty git is band for his 10 (TEN) yellows this season already. Semedo will step in.

You will notice our style is non stop pressing, we don't usually have a lot of possession but when we do we use it well as we have quality in forestieri, Lee, ex dingle wallace and bannan ( if he is fit) supplying the bullets for Joao.

Should be a good game now you have a proper manager who plays people in the right position (Marshall not a right back is a positive for you). I predict 2-1 owls.

We aren't that good mate, no please underestimate us. We are better at home than away so you have a chance, but we are a top team going one way and that is up the league (not necessarily promotion but progress).

I hope we start Joao, but can see us starting the big donkey Nuhiu, who is a big lump with little quality. He will tire and then we will kick on in he last half hour.

We are going to miss Hutchinson in our engine room, as the dirty git is band for his 10 (TEN) yellows this season already. Semedo will step in.

You will notice our style is non stop pressing, we don't usually have a lot of possession but when we do we use it well as we have quality in forestieri, Lee, ex dingle wallace and bannan ( if he is fit) supplying the bullets for Joao.

Should be a good game now you have a proper manager who plays people in the right position (Marshall not a right back is a positive for you). I predict 2-1 owls.

It was good until that ^_^

I remember that game.

It caused us to buy Paul Warhurst because he was immense against us.

So do I. Watched it in a room full of Wednesday fans. This was the game when Waddle took Alan Wright to the cleaners too. (Only time I ever saw that happen!)

What a game that 7-2 was, Hodgsons sides played some great stuff early on, some of the best I've seen on Ewood. Also notable is the small following of Wendies and they had a few like that at Rovers when things were going sadly wrong at their club. Just something to keep in mind after Sat when they are all over social media telling us how they've always brought 4k (they have a good few times as well) :rover:

On to this game and I think it could be an awkward one and other than the tempo and workrate increasing a bit I'm not sure things will be greatly different to when Bowyer was here. It's still his team after all although Lambert will give it better direction for sure but first and foremost it sounds like he wants us hard to beat.

I'm going a tough but quite entertaining draw.

Rovers 1 Weds 1

17,683 (3,900 Owls)

If you watch that game Hodgson had us playing a pressing game really well all over the pitch. Two good goals from Carbone if I remember it well. Great little player.

A draw wouldn't be the end of the World. It's early days yet in Lambert's reign.

We can't make this one, but we will be spending the weekend with 2 Wednesday season ticket holders so that should be fun!

Sheffield is buzzing after the takeover, talk of bids for Marshall and Rhodes coming our way in January tells us that Wednesday are now the real deal once again after years of mismanagement and directors lining their own pockets at the expense of a long suffering loyal fan base.

1-1

I think this is the toughest of those first 5 games for Lambert. But, however, I think it will be the most entertaining. It's got all the hallmarks of being a good game but one we should be winning.

As long as we don't have a repeat of last season's smash and grab, I'll be more than happy.

If you watch that game Hodgson had us playing a pressing game really well all over the pitch. Two good goals from Carbone if I remember it well. Great little player.

A draw wouldn't be the end of the World. It's early days yet in Lambert's reign.

I thought we weren't accepting 'mediocrity'? This is the kind of game Bowyer would draw. I hope Lambert has em fired up to win. SW have some good players but they aren't unbeatable, especially at Ewood.

Agree about Carbone, he really was a terrific player.

a few thoughts from the Owls fans...

"I'd take a draw, only because of the fear of Jordan Rhodes...rather than Blackburn. Blackburn would be much closer to the bottom, perhaps relegation candidates, without Rhodes.

Capable of winning though if we do a job on Rhodes."

"We'll have to get at least 2 to win

Rhodes will get the mandatory goal"

"I fully expect Rhodes to score, so we will need two, which we are well capable of getting

As already said , a big chance to close up on a couple of those above us . I really cant see Brum winning at Brighton, so a win for us would send us into the play offs. "

"3-3 with hat-tricks for both Rhodes and Joao leading to a mass debate on here on who is best."

"Could be a much harder game, now they have Lambert"

"Rhodes won't score, why would he want to upset his future employer. UTO "....i like this one

"I'd take a point now. We'll be lucky to get anything on Saturday."

Apparently they ve sold out their 3900 allocation are hoping they may get the rest of the top tier.Should be a good atmosphere this one.

So do I. Watched it in a room full of Wednesday fans. This was the game when Waddle took Alan Wright to the cleaners too. (Only time I ever saw that happen!)

Wednesday were brilliant that night.

I got the second leg tickets before the match. Ouch.

Seem to remember we did much better in the return game.

Archived