BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sheffield Wednesday Preview

• Moderation Lead

Totally disagree. What's an embarrassment these days (as well as being slightly comical), is the ludicrous breakneck speed at which all our songs are sung. I've no idea why its become the norm, apart from the general concept that a lot of the singing types are generally quite thick and drunk. But its detrimental in a number of ways:

1. More people are put off joining in the song because its going too fast to insert themselves into the middle of it.

2. The song is quieter because the singers are struggling for breath while they're charging through it.

3. Its over much quicker, a combination of getting to the end of one repetition in under 10 seconds and the shortness of breath issue.

The one song that was belted out properly against Preston was "Rovers till I die" because its pretty much the only song left that some morons haven't found a way to speed up yet.

Bringing back the drum would improve our atmosphere massively, help with singing songs properly again and bring back the concept of singing songs for minutes instead of seconds. Of course its no coincidence that the people who used to give him the most stick are also the people who've ruined "Singing the Blues" and "Bolton Road" with their chronic lack of timing.

Agree largely with this. Just as long as if we start singing 'when the blues go marching in', we don't do it as slowly as Spurs fans, they all sound like they've had a whack on the head!

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totally disagree. What's an embarrassment these days (as well as being slightly comical), is the ludicrous breakneck speed at which all our songs are sung. I've no idea why its become the norm, apart from the general concept that a lot of the singing types are generally quite thick and drunk. But its detrimental in a number of ways:

1. More people are put off joining in the song because its going too fast to insert themselves into the middle of it.

2. The song is quieter because the singers are struggling for breath while they're charging through it.

3. Its over much quicker, a combination of getting to the end of one repetition in under 10 seconds and the shortness of breath issue.

The one song that was belted out properly against Preston was "Rovers till I die" because its pretty much the only song left that some morons haven't found a way to speed up yet.

Bringing back the drum would improve our atmosphere massively, help with singing songs properly again and bring back the concept of singing songs for minutes instead of seconds. Of course its no coincidence that the people who used to give him the most stick are also the people who've ruined "Singing the Blues" and "Bolton Road" with their chronic lack of timing.

I think you d do well as an X-Factor judge SKH! :lol:

I think you d do well as an X-Factor judge SKH! :lol:

Thanks! :D

Its just been a pet hate of mine for a while. How long did the "Barmy Army" and "Blue and White Army" songs go on for in the old days. Now they last about 10 seconds before the mentally-challenged start accelerating them into collapse.

Probably being a bit harsh, its likely quite difficult for 5,000 people to sing in time. But that's exactly why European teams have drums, guys with microphones etc. I met the old drummer once and he was a great bloke and said the stick he got was a big reason he quit. Well done to the people who gave it him is all I can say, you've made our atmosphere substantially worse.

I saw Sheffield Wednesday at Rotherham a few weeks ago and they play a real high tempo pressing game. I think the first thing we need to do is match their work rate (which I believe we will be more than capable of since Lambert arrived and two weeks of high intensity training). Hopefully we will also have done plenty of work on shape and set plays both offensively and defensively. In my opinion the rest will fall into place and we will win by a goal or two.

I would be well up for the drummer coming back, don't think he would though. Heard he was getting threatened and told to shut up regularly etc in front of his kids and such. I always felt he kept a lot of songs going. There would be a lull in noise, he would carry on banging and it would start up again. That can only be a good thing for the atmosphere as far as I'm concerned.

As far as the slow style of singing '......goes marching in', it's absolutely terrible. There was a few fellas behind me at Preston trying to get a slow one going, was delighted it didn't catch on largely. K-Hod put it perfectly, it sounds dumb!

Just as an aside about the drum, talking about it (and Wednesday this weekend) reminded me on the Worthington Cup semi final and super Matty Jansen banging away on it.

For me the atmosphere at home is never good but if we play well we do usually start to make a bit of noise and with the expected bigger attendance on Saturday I think we will see ewood a lot louder, and for me I wouldn't want to hear the drum tarnishing that. Much rather just hear everyone singing in unison

Big game ahead. Perhaps even more important than the PNE match. Vital we now start to make Ewood an intimidating place to visit again. Must not lose. Two wins on the bounce would be perfect for the new manager.

After years of unhappiness it is very pleasing to be viewing club events more positively again. Two of my friends and my Mums ex-partner are looking at half season tickets for the New Year. I would imagine a fair few others are as well.

I agreed with everything you said until the last paragraph. The pace at which our songs pick up is ridiculous and I am glad I'm not the only one who's noticed it. Massacres the tune and the rhythm and turns into a painful mess as everyone is singing at different speeds. Really winds me up.

As for the drummer, I'd only ever have one back if he was a decent one. The ones we used to have were awful. Never got the beat right, drummed one song whilst the fans were singing another. Was an utter shambles and made the atmosphere worse if anything.

After years of unhappiness it is very pleasing to be viewing club events more positively again. Two of my friends and my Mums ex-partner are looking at half season tickets for the New Year. I would imagine a fair few others are as well.

Hopefully the club can stay in this positive cycle going forward because it really is self-fulfilling - more fans at games, and more positive fans at games really improves the atmosphere and that makes matchdays a more enjoyable experience for everyone - attracting more fans.

Also helps the atmosphere which helps the team do well and that's better to watch.

It will be a far more enjoyable drive up the M6 this Saturday!

Well well...Weds fans discussing Good buy/ Bad buy Jordan Rhodes

http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/233888-joao-vs-rhodes/page-1

Hilarious read really. Some people on there getting extreme delusion which often comes with a 'big' club looking upwards for once.

You'd think Wednesday were 10 points clear at the top and nailed on to cruise to promotion.

Last time I checked the tables they were about 8th, in reach of 6th but well behind 1st-5th. Their highest position all season has been 7th/8th which is roughly where we've spent the last 2 years without getting giddy about imminent promotion.

If we beat them on Saturday we're 5 points behind them with 28 games to play, so hardly a step up.

Even if we lose to them both sides will remain mid-table sides with aspirations of sneaking into the play-offs.

A lot seems to be made of 1 defeat in 13 games. Didn't Bowyer deliver a similar run and league position a couple of years ago?

A lot of talk about our 'financial troubles' which seem to be based on our annual losses yet no concern from themselves about their own financial model. Its amazing how some clubs are allowed to be bankrolled to huge losses by wealthy foreign owners whilst others aren't.

One guy had some sense though. He realised that Venkys turned down £12 million from Middlesbrough in the summer, despite Rhodes asking to leave to join a genuine promotion chasing side, so why would they do business with Wednesday in the middle of a season when we will need to finish above them to secure a play-off spot ourselves?

Especially having just appointed a new manager supposedly with the remit of achieving promotion.

• Backroom

How can a team such as Sheffield Wednesday even discuss whether or not Jordan Rhodes would be a good signing?!?

If they ever managed to sign him he would smash their transfer record and be the best player at the club. Absolutely baffling that some of them are saying they wouldn't be keen on him.

.....Not that he would ever leave us for them anyway.

As for the drummer, I'd only ever have one back if he was a decent one. The ones we used to have were awful. Never got the beat right, drummed one song whilst the fans were singing another. Was an utter shambles and made the atmosphere worse if anything.

I think you've gotta consider the logistics of where the drummer had to sit compared to where the singers were. Back when we had him all the songs were started by the top right corner of the Blackburn End, and he was sat on the front row slightly to the left. Its gotta be harder first of all hearing the song and then staying in time with it when the people who've started it (and a lot of the time are the only ones joining in) are sat, what 50-60m away? The Wednesday band and the Stanley drummers to name 2 have always sat right in the middle of the singers. Where ours was sat, he had to lift his arm ready to bring it down whilst straining to hear a song that due to the speed of sound was already about 0.2 seconds ahead of him.

Getting in time is probably much easier, but to be honest its not surprising that he struggled to start in time, would have to ask him but personally I can see that being quite difficult.

How can a team such as Sheffield Wednesday even discuss whether or not Jordan Rhodes would be a good signing?!?

If they ever managed to sign him he would smash their transfer record and be the best player at the club. Absolutely baffling that some of them are saying they wouldn't be keen on him.

.....Not that he would ever leave us for them anyway.

Some Wednesday fans still think Gary Megson is a football genius, that tells you all you need to know about some sections of the support.

I think with the drum thing it depends who banging it. The original guy was over enthusiastic and the lads who took over soon got hounded out.

As for that cup semi wasn't it the debut of Berg and Anderson (who turned out to be a cracking midfielder at top level ) and didn't Kenny play them in the centre of defence ? Kind of a baptism of fire against the Owls who were a cracking team at the time. Was this board about then ? I'd love to read that...... :blink:

I'm sure Berg was right back, but maybe I'm wrong.

He looked good from the off did Henning.

Imagine if this board was around when we were champions of England,it still might be :P

Not sure that the attendance will be as high as 20000 old jam fan. According to Wednesday website they were given an initial 2800 tickets. No indication they have taken any more. As for Rovers, even with the Lambert factor I can't see us getting more than 15k on.

Initial allocation was 2400, got a further 1300 and have sold 3120 so far!

Sent from my YOGA Tablet 2-830F using Tapatalk

Think the very best we can hope for is 3k walk ons for this which considering there's probably barely a thousand do that normally it's a marked improvement. If those keep coming back and a good few buy half STs then it certainly helps the income a bit. Having said that it still means sub 15k home fans but any improvement will do.

I'm sure Berg was right back, but maybe I'm wrong.

He looked good from the off did Henning.

Imagine if this board was around when we were champions of England,it still might be :P

I thought Berg played right back. Patrick Anderson looked like he'd never played pro football before. One of the worst debuts I've ever seen. Having said that Paul Warhurst was a real handful that night.

Initial allocation was 2400, got a further 1300 and have sold 3120 so far!

Sent from my YOGA Tablet 2-830F using Tapatalk

That's half the bottom tier to start with then half the top tier.

Going forward, I would have Darwen End visitors only to help fill the Blackburn End and end this practice of moving fans for big games.

PS I've just got the appetite back and returned to Ewood. IF ANY DRUMMER EVER RETURNS I'LL DO MY BEST TO GET RID OR I'M LEAVING....AGAIN!!!

Need a win, even a lucky win. As long as we can scab together results until Lamberts team and style of play really kick in we will be alright. Last thing we need is a few bad results killing the current feelgood factor.

Let's hopw we can hold out till fitness levels improve and until we are playing the Lambert way.

Be great to give Rhodes that thread to read, motivation to bang a couple past them right there.

As for the Wednesday fan who said "let him rot" here, that's quite comical to be honest. Yeah let him rot under one of the best managers in the division, hopefully we're saying ta ta to them in a few weeks when we fly past them in the table.

Big game ahead. Perhaps even more important than the PNE match. Vital we now start to make Ewood an intimidating place to visit again. Must not lose. Two wins on the bounce would be perfect for the new manager.

+1

Archived