BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sheffield Wednesday Preview

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was there that night, Monday night in late August, was a lowly following hardly helped by being on Sky, Lars Bohinen always bloody scored against us!

Sent from my YOGA Tablet 2-830F using Tapatalk

Do you still have a good following from the Mexborough/ Denaby area? Billy's coaches wasn't it for away travel in the 70's?

Really looking forward to coming down for PL's first home game. I don't really know what to expect tbh, other than a 20,000 crowd and a team consisting of Steele; Henry, Hanley, Duffy, Olsson, Marshall, Guthrie, Evans, Conway, Lawrence (or Taylor if not fit) and Rhodes in a 4-4-1-1.

We could win 3-0, but just as easily lose 3-1. Either way, Rhodes will score.

Not sure that the attendance will be as high as 20000 old jam fan. According to Wednesday website they were given an initial 2800 tickets. No indication they have taken any more. As for Rovers, even with the Lambert factor I can't see us getting more than 15k on.

I'm always glass half full mate, and I came up with that figure simply on the back of the number of people who tell me they are returning on Saturday - they are usually the ones who turn up for the big cup matches (e.g. LFC last season). My Sheff Wed season ticket holding friend also claims they have asked for the top tier of the Darwen End?

Seems they became a bit of a novelty act then. It's a funny thing really with bands etc at footy and was the same with our drummer, sometimes they really serve a purpose and sometimes you really need them to get the crowd going but often they are just an annoying pain in the backside !

Our drummer. Such an embarrassment.

The 7-2 was an astonishing game.

The league cup semi was soul destroying.

Who've thought Patrick Anderson would end up at Barca.

Warhurst was a gem, excelled wherever he played. Shame about his injuries.

Yeah, Warhurst could have been anything he wanted to be but for the injury. One the most all round players I've ever seen. Where ever he played he looked a natural.

Yeah, Warhurst could have been anything he wanted to be but for the injury. One the most all round players I've ever seen. Where ever he played he looked a natural.

Remember Warhurst from CM, he was very good. Could play D/M/A centre. Always a good signing.

I think with the drum thing it depends who banging it. The original guy was over enthusiastic and the lads who took over soon got hounded out.

As for that cup semi wasn't it the debut of Berg and Anderson (who turned out to be a cracking midfielder at top level ) and didn't Kenny play them in the centre of defence ? Kind of a baptism of fire against the Owls who were a cracking team at the time. Was this board about then ? I'd love to read that...... :blink:

I'm always glass half full mate, and I came up with that figure simply on the back of the number of people who tell me they are returning on Saturday - they are usually the ones who turn up for the big cup matches (e.g. LFC last season). My Sheff Wed season ticket holding friend also claims they have asked for the top tier of the Darwen End?

Hope you are right. Would be ace to have Ewood rocking again!

Will be a tough game, Wednesday have been playing some good stuff at times this season. Think we'll get the win though, 1-0 with Rhodes bagging the winner. Not keen on the idea of 3 at the back I can see Henry coming in for Henley at right back and maybe Guthrie in for Akpan. I'd expect an attendance of around 17/18k.

Not sure that the attendance will be as high as 20000 old jam fan. According to Wednesday website they were given an initial 2800 tickets. No indication they have taken any more. As for Rovers, even with the Lambert factor I can't see us getting more than 15k on.

They ve definetely sold out the bottom half and have now got the top half too. According to their sites they will have 3500 and approx 500 left.

I reckon 18000 plus .

I expect a crowd of around 17-18 thousand.

If we take the usual 11,500-12,000 home supporters, add the best part of 4000 from Sheffield then we're at about 16,000. I'd be surprised if Rovers sold more than 2,000 walk-on tickets.

Even with all the optimism and new manager effect, I don't think that will be reflected in a particularly big crowd. Slightly bigger than usual, but not the flocking in droves that some expect.

• Moderation Lead

I expect a crowd of around 17-18 thousand.

If we take the usual 11,500-12,000 home supporters, add the best part of 4000 from Sheffield then we're at about 16,000. I'd be surprised if Rovers sold more than 2,000 walk-on tickets.

Even with all the optimism and new manager effect, I don't think that will be reflected in a particularly big crowd. Slightly bigger than usual, but not the flocking in droves that some expect.

I'd be happy with 18k on to be honest. Wednesday look likely to bring 4k seemingly, I imagine the numbers quoted will be about right.

Totally disagree. What's an embarrassment these days (as well as being slightly comical), is the ludicrous breakneck speed at which all our songs are sung. I've no idea why its become the norm, apart from the general concept that a lot of the singing types are generally quite thick and drunk. But its detrimental in a number of ways:

1. More people are put off joining in the song because its going too fast to insert themselves into the middle of it.

2. The song is quieter because the singers are struggling for breath while they're charging through it.

3. Its over much quicker, a combination of getting to the end of one repetition in under 10 seconds and the shortness of breath issue.

The one song that was belted out properly against Preston was "Rovers till I die" because its pretty much the only song left that some morons haven't found a way to speed up yet.

Bringing back the drum would improve our atmosphere massively, help with singing songs properly again and bring back the concept of singing songs for minutes instead of seconds. Of course its no coincidence that the people who used to give him the most stick are also the people who've ruined "Singing the Blues" and "Bolton Road" with their chronic lack of timing.

Archived