BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sheffield Wednesday Preview

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A bit of realism wouldn't go amiss either though..

We have a left back wanted by Clements' table toppers, a captain who is a Scotland regular, widemen in Conway and Marshall who could go to any Championship club, a central midfielder in Evans who will be playing in the Euros and a striker in Rhodes who is coveted by many.

Please tell me when and how I have been unrealistic ?

We lack the same thing now that we have done for years. A leader on the pitch. Just someone who reads the game and knows how to see it over the line. Our players trot out the same old nonsense under every manager. It's always rosy in the garden. Lambert is a manager with genuine pedigree imo. But the players have to accept a good degree of blame for these results and points we fritter away season after season.

Personally speaking I have major doubts about this new fitness regime being instigated half way into a season. I'm not sure the extra work load can be incorporated in amongst a congested fixture list.

I don't say this as a knee jerk reaction to today's result (not a bad one all things considered), but this season is a write off. Give lambert a freebie to get his ideas across, a full preseason and a couple of transfer windows and then we might see the fruits of his labour.

But I still hear echoes from days gone by where Bowyer was criticised for working to that sort of time frame. I hope Lambert is given more leniency because he's proven he has what it takes to get it right.

Just don't feel we should expect miracles this season. We need to evolve from a team of triers to a team of winners.

We have a left back wanted by Clements' table toppers, a captain who is a Scotland regular, widemen in Conway and Marshall who could go to any Championship club, a central midfielder in Evans who will be playing in the Euros and a striker in Rhodes who is coveted by many.

Please tell me when and how I have been unrealistic ?

What was your prediction for today once again..?

We lack the same thing now that we have done for years. A leader on the pitch. Just someone who reads the game and knows how to see it over the line. Our players trot out the same old nonsense under every manager. It's always rosy in the garden. Lambert is a manager with genuine pedigree imo. But the players have to accept a good degree of blame for these results and points we fritter away season after season.

Personally speaking I have major doubts about this new fitness regime being instigated half way into a season. I'm not sure the extra work load can be incorporated in amongst a congested fixture list.

I don't say this as a knee jerk reaction to today's result (not a bad one all things considered), but this season is a write off. Give lambert a freebie to get his ideas across, a full preseason and a couple of transfer windows and then we might see the fruits of his labour.

But I still hear echoes from days gone by where Bowyer was criticised for working to that sort of time frame. I hope Lambert is given more leniency because he's proven he has what it takes to get it right.

Just don't feel we should expect miracles this season. We need to evolve from a team of triers to a team of winners.

Yes. Some sanity.

What was your prediction for today once again..?

Rovers to win.

If you don't expect your team to win at home, with all the talent it's got, against a team outside the top 8, you might as well board Ewood up.

Be interesting to see if Lambert feels he needs selling and replacing..

I can see that happening. Sell him and bring in three or four very good players...sometimes it's for the greater good.

We struggled to create for Jordan today but he also struggled to hold the ball up and bring others in to play. We were under the cosch for some time. His lack of pace meant we couldn't hit it beyond him, his lack of strength meant we couldn't hit it at him. Same story and that's the only downside of having him in the team. He needs someone to be the battering ram next to him.

Re the new fitness regime. We need to be careful we don't get carried away with intensive training. We're coming from a fair way back. There's a saying in boxing - " Don't Leave It All In The Gym " . We need to bear that in mind.

• Backroom

Christ, he's like a turd that won't flush, that fella! Bye, although I'm sure it'll be Au Revoir.

Hopefully he'll stop taking up usernames that future users (who behave) may want.

The lad's persistent, got to give him that if nothing else.

Despite the predictable collapse at the end, it's pleasing that our goals were scored by players other than Rhodes. We need the others to chip in and at the very least that seems to be starting to happen, we just need to make sure it isn't at the expense of Rhodes as a goalscorer. If it is we might as well not have him at all.

We really need to try someone else in goal. Not saying Steele is bad, but "not bad" will never get you promotion. The only way we are going up is with a top-class GK who is going to pull off saves in certain-goal situations. Something like Brad. We need to look hard in this area in January.

We are one point closer to sixth place than we were before a ball was kicked !

Can't be unhappy with Lambert's start - 4 points from 2 difficult games (not played teams like Charlton, Huddersfied or Bristol City). Talking of Bristol City, we have to be looking to go there next week and win, and I think we will.

Need to keep the newly found good feeling and optimism going. Onwards and upwards, in Lambert we trust.

We are only 7 points off the playoffs now.

If we can be within 6 points or closer to the playoffs after the Christmas games then I would be happy and hopefully we can sign 2 or 3 good players in January.

In Lambert we trust

We really need to try someone else in goal. Not saying Steele is bad, but "not bad" will never get you promotion. The only way we are going up is with a top-class GK who is going to pull off saves in certain-goal situations. Something like Brad. We need to look hard in this area in January.

Sort the rest of it out and goalkeeping we be less of an issue. You reckon we can get " something like Brad " just like that ? He was the best goalkeeper i've ever seen at Ewood and arguably at one time the best shot stopper in the World.

Interesting attendance - though in some ways disappointing I felt it was a "real" attendance with many previously absent season ticket holder at the match. You can't ignore the impact of the weather either.

I really hoped for 20k today.

The euphoria of Lambert and his team arriving seemed to please so many 'lapsed' Rovers fans judging by posts on social media.

Lets hope Santa is delivering a few half season tickets.

I really hoped for 20k today.

The euphoria of Lambert and his team arriving seemed to please so many 'lapsed' Rovers fans judging by posts on social media.

Lets hope Santa is delivering a few half season tickets.

Dreadful weather conditions, run up to Christmas and the same players trotting out won't exactly mean those kind of numbers turning up just yet.

Imagine the crowds won't start to come back until February, once Paul Lambert has had time to bring in a couple of quality additions and the results have shown to be consistently good.

id love to see a bit of premiership quality in our squad, Souness brought in berkovic on loan(a real game changing player) as well as having duff, dunn, jansen and flitcroft in the team and exciting players like that(well maybe flitcroft wasn't exciting but he was a real leader) ensured crowds never dropped to low and the quality of football was always good, right now id kill for just 1 player of their quality in the squad and i'm sure that it would also bring more fans back, im pretty sure if/when we get out of the embargo the venkys will sanction at least 1 high quality(expensive) signing to give our belated promotion push a boost but first we need to get out of the embargo(and without selling any of the decent players we have already)

EDIT. can believe i left Mark Hughes and Henning Berg out of that list of players, they where both brought in on loan, Hughes may have been 84 but he still scored a few and his hold up play was monumental, having a player of his quality, attitude and experiance really helped the youngsters(duff, dunn, jansen) on and off the field, Berg( 100% solid,dependable and probably the most reliable defender i've seen here in my lifetime) so i say again we really need to try and attract a player(or 2) of this quality as soon as we get the chance if we really want to move up a level.

Got what we deserved in the 2nd half -nothing. They took off their lump of a diving striker at half time and instead of lumping to him they decided to play. And we couldn't deal with it, resorting to Steele wasting time and lumping it forward for poor old Jason to chase. Poor Marshall (our main player that can make things happen) having to chase shadows up front. Lawrence should have been on far earlier for Conway who was caught in possession far too many times and then Marshall could play where he is best. Will Henley ever grow out of his naivety? Will Duffy ever be able to distribute the ball better than a pub player? Will we ever have someone who can play in the hole so we don't have to play in predictable straight lines? Same old. Lambert has his work cut out.

Got what we deserved in the 2nd half -nothing. They took off their lump of a diving striker at half time and instead of lumping to him they decided to play. And we couldn't deal with it, resorting to Steele wasting time and lumping it forward for poor old Jason to chase. Poor Marshall (our main player that can make things happen) having to chase shadows up front. Lawrence should have been on far earlier for Conway who was caught in possession far too many times and then Marshall could play where he is best. Will Henley ever grow out of his naivety? Will Duffy ever be able to distribute the ball better than a pub player? Will we ever have someone who can play in the hole so we don't have to play in predictable straight lines? Same old. Lambert has his work cut out.

Agree with much of what you say but I thought Marshall was poor today (again) and that Adam Henley played quite well.

Very Bowyer like performance in the second half today but glass half full we've not played that well in Lambert's two games in charge but got 4 points. Under GB that would probably have been one or two.

Watching him on the touchline I sense Lambert won't put up with the type of performance we saw 2nd half today either.

What did PL have to say after the game?

Just watching the highlights of Hull Derby. I honestly think that the key to this division is getting better forward players and playing at a fast pace. Every side in this division have mistakes at the back. It rewards risks and this has got to be an area we look to improve in. Imo, the players we need to recruit are up top and they need pace, touch and even more pace. It troubles sides. Forget this big man up top idea. It's about pulling some of these defences out of shape and getting players in support from midfield. A big man up top just gives the limited centre halves the battles they love.

Archived