BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sheffield Wednesday Preview

Did no one else think that Shane Duffy was outstanding? Haven't seen many posts about him.

I thought so. Just hard to see past him missing 1 particularly good chance and a host of others at the other end.

He's steadily got better though, the rest of his game is becoming far more consistent. Dominant in the air yesterday and Sheffield Wednesdays decision to shift their big lad outside was testament to Hanley/Duffys performance at that point. Shame the first header the lanky sheff weds lad wins on the right gets knocked down, creates chance, rebound off post 1-1.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know how you've managed to bite your tongue there, you're a better man than me.

I wasn't so much making a point about our fans but just speaking my mind about how I felt at yesterdays game, i've had the experience at playing at a decent standard so perhaps I see things differently but just found some people's lack of patience and inability to see the difference in 1St half totally amazing.

Did no one else think that Shane Duffy was outstanding? Haven't seen many posts about him.

I thought he had a very good game. He was outstanding in the first 30 minutes against their big lump nhuni or whatever he is called. However I feel he could have done better for their 1st goal, as could Olsson and Hanley.

I agree with the point made already re Steele. He isn't a bad keeper at all. A solid keeper for this level. However when was the last time that he made a match winning save? Brad Friedel used to win us games. I think one of his first games was Burnley away in 2000; incredible performance by him. Heaton at Burnley makes some great saves. I appreciate it would be nigh on impossible to get a real quality keeper now.

I agree with the point made already re Steele. He isn't a bad keeper at all. A solid keeper for this level. However when was the last time that he made a match winning save? Brad Friedel used to win us games. I think one of his first games was Burnley away in 2000; incredible performance by him. Heaton at Burnley makes some great saves. I appreciate it would be nigh on impossible to get a real quality keeper now.

I think Steele is the weak link in defense. He is ok but i hope we can get a better keeper. He was average yesterday and i don't no why he felt the need to wave at me in the Riverside at one of their corners!

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/14110716.Paul_Lambert__No_need_for_Blackburn_Rovers_to_feel__too_dejected__by_Sheffield_Wednesday_draw/?ref=mac

good to hear PL's comments re the strength of our squad/bench compared to SW's. You'd have to assume money is going to be made available to him and that the embargo can be exited.

I agree, he's dead right about the bench. It's not an eleven man game any more, the strength of your bench is crucial these days.

Agree that Duffy's heading in the penalty area is bloody frustrating, should've buried that chance in the 2nd half. Defensively thought he was brilliant, his movement when Hanley and Steele were in possession was a lot better too, opening space up to build play from the other wing... Sounds like a small thing but it affords us to keep possession for longer periods of the game rather than sending a long ball and relinquishing possession.

I thought Duffy was magnificent yesterday. He played two cross field passes which were poor in the second half - apart from that he was outstanding.

Some months ago some posted "Duffy must be thick" or similar after he'd been interviewed on Radio Rovers. Recently people can only comment on his missed attacking headers. The original comment made me decide on the face of such ignorance there's little point in commenting. The more recent comments re attacking headers only confirmed it.

Personally I'd want Duffy and Hanley on the team sheet every week. Sure they make errors but they are two of our most committed players performing well week after week in a poor team.

First half yesterday I was hugely encouraged while in the second I thought we often reverted to type. My one concern was for the second Wednesday goal, and on other occasions, we had both centre halves in their area. Hanley got injured Wednesday broke away and equalised. With Rovers under so much pressure in the second half I think only of the two should have been up there.

In one sense Lambert seeing the second half firsthand is a big positive. He can be under no illusion as to the task ahead.

A draw that felt like a loss due to how late the leveller came. Excuse that I get a bit melodramatic about such things - I think it's the long drive home thinking about it.

Not sure I would have made those substitutions (except hanley of course.) Think if you take off Conway for Guthrie you lose an attacking outlet and we were already under the cosh - it invited them onto us even more because Conway was running at them right up to him going off. If he needed to go off then I would have had Lawrence on who is still a threat and doesn't give them a boost - like Conway, lawrence could take the ball to their corners and hold it up. Guthrie looked lacking in sharpness and is only ever a sitting passer in the midfield.

Really glad we have Hope Apkan. A presence in the middle!

Marshall puzzles me. There was that time (a year or so ago) when he used to go past players for fun, most free kicks were stunning and he was getting a few from open play. He wasn't bad yesterday - but at his best he can carry us.

Hope lambert learns and teaches the team to be a bit more clever if leading going into the 80 something minute. We let teams build momentum when they want. He says we have an honest team, but we haven't got the most mentally strong and clever bunch.

Agree with comments about our need for a pacey outlet. Would love a Bellamy type player. In that second half the option of a ball over the top with threat would have helped massively.

Another type of player which would have helped us hold the lead would have been that david dunn type player. Someone with the skill and confidence to look for the ball and hold it.

Tickets bought for Bristol, just fear our work in progress will take too long for playoffs this season

My one concern was for the second Wednesday goal, and on other occasions, we had both centre halves in their area. Hanley got injured Wednesday broke away and equalised. With Rovers under so much pressure in the second half I think only of the two should have been up there.

Agreed, when you already have Akpan who is a tall lad in there and another centre half, that's enough arial presence against what was quite a small Wednesday side.

Anyone, including me, who has commented on Duffy's seeming inability to direct attacking headers on target is actually talking fact.

To simply dismiss such comments as 'ignorant' is shall I say gross ignorance with a large doss of pomposity.

I agree he does miss attacking headers. I realise my second comment wasnt clear. What I meant was criticisng Duffy's game on the basis he's "thick" is ignorant and its therefore not worth commenting on his genera!!y excellent contribution to the team if he's just written off as "thick." My comment that people write off his game because of poor attacking headers was meant to confirm, for me, it makes it not worth commenting on his overall game.

Apoligies to anyone who took it I was suggesting they are ignorant for commenting on missed headers.

I do feel his contribution is often overly criticised because of a lack of attacking prowess.

• Backroom

I don't understand why we seem to primarily seem to aim for Duffy at set pieces. Hanley has shown in the past he's got a good attacking header on him, he should be the focus of our set pieces if we're going to bring a CB up to challenge for the ball.

Can't complain about the result as Wednesday were as good as any side I have seen at Ewood this season especially in the second half.

They kept up the pressure for 90 mins against men on the ball. We can only 45 mins of that at the moment.

The Portuguese lad up front gave our defence a different problem so a good move by their manager.

The speed and intensity of Weds play through midfield was top rate and a good benchmark for us to strive to.

There are signs of improvement from us with some good pressing particularly first half. The two issues still remain. We are still struggle for clean sheets and Rhodes still looks isolated up front. The Modou option is a big loss as their centre halves looked vulnerable to a bit of pace but were never really tested.

The play offs look a forlorn hope due to GB's lack of application and intensity with the players.

The main thing is to put the building blocks in place to improve like Wednesday have done over the last 12 months.

I just hope Lambert can deliver that because it is apparent that Bowyer never would.

I was impressed with him yesterday just like I was at Preston away

still need to improve in his headers in the penalty area

In terms of Akpan also- I think he really does the win and move stuff really well. Can see us starting in a 451 with him in front of the back four.

I think we could use this system away from home

I agree, he's dead right about the bench. It's not an eleven man game any more, the strength of your bench is crucial these days.

I said after yesterday game that we need 2 or 3 signings in January

The main thing is to put the building blocks in place to improve like Wednesday have done over the last 12 months.

I just hope Lambert can deliver that because it is apparent that Bowyer never would.

That's why Lambert has been appointed as Rovers manager.

He knows this league and what is need to get promote

I thought it was a very poor Bowyer like performance in the second half today. Although we were very unlucky with their equaliser in that the ref didn't stop play for Hanley's injury the goal had been coming and was no less than we deserved.

Lambert will know what he's up against now, it will take some time to drum the innate negativity out of the team and I've never seen the rest of the side so far away from Rhodes and him so isolated.

Very true Rev. It sounds like PL is attempting to improve fitness levels and rightly so because our midfield definitely need to up the tempo and 'join in' so to speak. Rhodes didn't stand an earthly yesterday as, especially in the second half, he was so isolated because the rest of the team were blowing through their backsides. He was feeding on scraps, more accurately described as hopefull punts up to him whilst being comfortably marked by two or more of their defenders.

Our midfield can do it, of course, as evidenced by our first half performance at Leeds when I thought they were superb. Burnley was another game where the midfield were on top. They've got to increase the consistency, though, which should happen with improved fitness.

On another note, how loud were those Wednesday fans at times? Credit where credit is due, superb support, not necessarily in numbers (not bad by any means but there are half a million people in Sheffield) , but certainly in volume.

Felt a cruel way to concede that second goal with Hanley down injured but it is down to the discretion of the referee whether to stop the game or not. A draw was probably a fair reflection of the game, we played better in the first half, Wednesday better in the second. Switching to 4-5-1 didn't work in seeing out the game, as it did against Preston, and there was a sense we were hanging onto a lead rather than looking to extend it in that second half. Thought Lawrence should have been brought on earlier, Marshall worked hard-work all game and looked knackered with 10 minutes to go but was only brought off right at the end. Shame Koita wasn't on the bench, injured again? As he is ideal if we are looking for someone to hold up the ball upfront in seeing out the game. Rhodes worked really hard upfront but he doesn't suit the lone-striker role at all.

Also when was the last time both our central midfielders scored in a game?

As will changing mentality and results with these players. You could see the difference early on in the game but they haven't yet learnt that you have to maintain the effort and energy all through games. They're still too happy to sit back. Yesterday felt better than under bowyer, but it was clear that lambert doesn't see himself having many options on the bench as he only brought on his subs very late. Things will change, both with ream and crowds but it will all take time. Just be thankful it's started

Spot on gumboots.

• Backroom

Also noticeable is Lambert is not lamenting the referee for Wednesday's equaliser, bowyer would have been all over that

He has a bad reputation wth the media for his interviews but I thought it was refreshing, can't comment on how accurate it was as I wasn't there

Archived