BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Danny Graham Signs

• Backroom

As I mentioned in the match thread, I think the signing of Graham will come down to whether we can offer the best wage package. I suspect the clubs in the division who seem immune from FUP might have a look, as well as the Prem clubs who come down (excluding Sunderland if it is them).

It's easy to say we have to break the bank for Graham and offer whatever it takes, but there are other areas of the squad that need addressing. If we sign Graham on huge wages we're then back to where we were when we had Rhodes, with a striker taking up so much of our wage bill that we can't improve anywhere else. Except unlike Rhodes, we won't be able to sell Graham for £9m+ somewhere down the line.

If we could sign Graham on around £15k p/w then that would be good business. Anything more and we're potentially looking at sacrificing in other areas of the pitch. We arguably need to look at GK, both full back positions and centre midfield just for starters. When you think about the amount of players we have on loan and the amount of players out of contract in the summer we have to be careful as to how we apportion our wages, or we'll end up back under embargo.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I mentioned in the match thread, I think the signing of Graham will come down to whether we can offer the best wage package. I suspect the clubs in the division who seem immune from FUP might have a look, as well as the Prem clubs who come down (excluding Sunderland if it is them).

It's easy to say we have to break the bank for Graham and offer whatever it takes, but there are other areas of the squad that need addressing. If we sign Graham on huge wages we're then back to where we were when we had Rhodes, with a striker taking up so much of our wage bill that we can't improve anywhere else. Except unlike Rhodes, we won't be able to sell Graham for £9m+ somewhere down the line.

If we could sign Graham on around £15k p/w then that would be good business. Anything more and we're potentially looking at sacrificing in other areas of the pitch. We arguably need to look at GK, both full back positions and centre midfield just for starters. When you think about the amount of players we have on loan and the amount of players out of contract in the summer we have to be careful as to how we apportion our wages, or we'll end up back under embargo.

I think he's out of contract which gives a bit of leeway as no transfer fee involved, 15k per week on a 3 year deal being 2.3 mill, 20k per week 3.1 mill (i guess there would be the usual bonus structrues etc to consider, but on open market prices 3.1 at his age would be 'sensible' if such exisits in football, and less than the fee on Cairney for example.)

I reckon there will be a fair bit of interest in him over summer, perhaps not in Premier league, but relegated clubs, th elikes of Sheff Weds, perahaps Norwich, Villa would certainly have him on the radar. Ideal world there is an option agreed with him, he likes the set up and the manager and takes a view on a secure decent term contract, I think hes done enough to deserve to be the primary summer target.

You would've thought with the amount of cast-offs who have reforged their careers at Rovers over the years, our resident experts would hang fire before shooting down the likes of Graham & Bennett. Alas, the more things change...

Graham has been through the mill over the last 3 years. He's had a complete nightmare at Sunderland interspersed with short loan spells in the Championship.

Finally now he's here and has the opportunity to rebuild his career at a good club. The early signs are very positive, and assuming he's getting on well with Lambert and enjoying himself then we'll be in pole position over other Championship clubs.

He's already alluded to being keen on staying permanently and I'd be amazed if that discussion hadn't already taken place with the manager when he joined.

If he ends up at another Championship club then its time to worry, because if we're serious about next season then we need to be competing with the likes of Sheffield Wed etc. for the better players and paying the going rate for them.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/14332737._I_m_enjoying_my_football____Danny_Graham_confident_Blackburn_Rovers_can_challenge_for_promotion_next_season/?ref=mac

Looks like he wants to stay, I hope we can keep him. Graham reminds me a lot of Mike Newell in that he works hard, can hold the ball up and chip in with goals. Be interesting to see what would happen if we had someone prolific and pacey alongside him.

Archived