BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Danny Graham Signs

People forget Graham has been playing for a Sunderland team who seem to constantly be in a managerial merry go round, and are always desperately fighting relegation.

I think stability and feeling wanted could do him the world of good, his record pre-Sunderland isn't bad at all.

Not to mention that Graham's a Geordie, so he was about as welcome there as a bacon sarnie at a Bar Mitzvah.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sambo..are we not fighting relegation as well in a lower division?

We are to an extent yes, but at Sunderland it was always desperate stuff, with new managers coming and going constantly.

The Premier League is of course a different kettle of fish - we at least have a bit of breathing space, and there's less pressure for him to hit the ground running (although of course there is some pressure, naturally). In the Prem, he was under significant pressure from the media and the fans, an inevitaility of the big money in staying in that league, as well as the way in which the knives are sharpened for any sort of struggling striker. Sunderland were always in dire trouble and he was made into a scapegoat of sorts - as Amarillo said, his Geordie connections can't have helped!

The swift managerial changes so soon after joining, as well as the constant loan spells, means he never really got to settle, so they certainly didn't see the best of him. He's now playing for a manager who wants him, and will see it as a way to prove the doubters wrong.

His comments on the Rovers website have impressed me. He seems keen to work with Rhodes, and is making all the right noises about having a point to prove.

• Moderation Lead

Not to mention that Graham's a Geordie, so he was about as welcome there as a bacon sarnie at a Bar Mitzvah.

He also made the comment 'Put it this way, it would be as far away from Sunderland as possible'. When he did an interview while he was at Watford.

I can't find a link which is irritating!

I don't think he, like many players has been helped by the ridiculous expectations of Sunderland fans. They pay notoriously high wages to attract players to the North East which is a long way from the bright lights of the big cities and as a result seem to think they are buying world beaters, they're not.

• Moderation Lead

I don't think he, like many players has been helped by the ridiculous expectations of Sunderland fans. They pay notoriously high wages to attract players to the North East which is a long way from the bright lights of the big cities and as a result seem to think they are buying world beaters, they're not.

All Sunderland and Newcastle have is big fanbases and thus good attendances and away followings. Other than that though, they've nothing to shout about! That's why I suspect a lot of fans of those two clubs make such a big deal about their attendances and the size of their clubs.

All Sunderland and Newcastle have is big fanbases and thus good attendances and away followings. Other than that though, they've nothing to shout about! That's why I suspect a lot of fans of those two clubs make such a big deal about their attendances and the size of their clubs.

Its the old classic: "what makes a big club?"

Newcastle fans consider themselves a big club (very big probably) but despite getting 50,000 fans in St. James (or however many) their trophy cabinet is empty. They don't even make it finals or challenge at the right end of the table these days but they still consider themselves a big club.

They would also view Rovers as a small club because we get naff all through the gates on a Saturday but our trophy cabinet actually has some stuff in it, including the biggest in English football.

Personally, i think you are only classed as a big club (not sure i even like classing it like that) if you have both, sustained over a reasonable period of time.

It's like calling players "World Class". A Newcastle fan used that exact phrase to describe Remy Cabella (that guy who has been loaned out by Newcastle) after he did a few stepovers.

Would he get into the starting 11 of the best current players in the world? Would he F***

Its the old classic: "what makes a big club?"

Newcastle fans consider themselves a big club (very big probably) but despite getting 50,000 fans in St. James (or however many) their trophy cabinet is empty. They don't even make it finals or challenge at the right end of the table these days but they still consider themselves a big club.

They would also view Rovers as a small club because we get naff all through the gates on a Saturday but our trophy cabinet actually has some stuff in it, including the biggest in English football.

Personally, i think you are only classed as a big club (not sure i even like classing it like that) if you have both, sustained over a reasonable period of time.

It's like calling players "World Class". A Newcastle fan used that exact phrase to describe Remy Cabella (that guy who has been loaned out by Newcastle) after he did a few stepovers.

Would he get into the starting 11 of the best current players in the world? Would he F***

For me the status of being a 'big club' is something that comes and goes depending on the era. At this moment in time there are 5-6 'big clubs' in England. Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and possibly Spurs.

That's because those 5-6 have got the capacity to challenge for trophies, compete for the Champions League and attract a better level of player than other clubs. I put Spurs on the fringes because they have been knocking on the door of the top 4 for a few years running and have been in Europe frequently, but haven't really won anything for quite a while.

There are a lot of pretenders like Everton, West Ham and Villa who have had success in the past but not for some time now, and then there's clubs like Forest and Leeds who were big in a bygone era. I don't really understand how you can be classed as a big club if you haven't played in the top league for 15 years.

Big club if you get big gates (or potentially could get big gates- i.e that's why Leeds are seen as big club). Small club if you don't

That's all the media base it on.

Ergo Newcastle are a 'big club'.

Blackburn Rovers, traditional club, double founder members, won major trophies in 3 centuries- small club.

Correct. Out in social media world people seem to be missing the point that goal scorers cost big money which we haven't got or at least can't spend at the min.

On the loan front no one will let them go out in Jan in case they need them later in the season even if they aren't being used now.

also in blackburn rovers world for some who want to get rid of rhodes

I would describe them as clubs who have the benefit of a large catchment area, who have had ok domestic success but nothing too noteworthy. This, coupled with the fact that they have zero European pedigree means they are not big clubs, as in my eyes only the ones who are recognised in other countries as being "big" are the actual big clubs.

They might be "bigger" or "smaller" than other clubs in England but all of that is subjective and in my eyes doesn't really matter. All that really matters is the history books which show trophies won and other important factors like time spent in the top division.

• Moderation Lead

Quite right. No points are won for attendances, as much as fans with mega catchment areas try to discredit us but don't take into account our congested catchment areas.

In its strictest sense the size of any 'club', for whatever purpose, is determined by the number of members it has. In the case of football clubs that means paying fans. The more paying members the bigger the club.

How successful a club is, though, is determined not by the quantity but the quality.

Although we were once a big club on that basis, Rovers has had club members of superior quality over the course of our history. When one of the best of them said "Think Big", what he was really saying, I believe, was "Think Success"...

It's much better (and more fun) to be a successful club that a big one. Or as the saying goes, it's literally not about size but what you do with it that counts.

In its strictest sense the size of any 'club', for whatever purpose, is determined by the number of members it has. In the case of football clubs that means paying fans. The more paying members the bigger the club.

How successful a club is, though, is determined not by the quantity but the quality.

Although we were once a big club on that basis, Rovers has had club members of superior quality over the course of our history. When one of the best of them said "Think Big", what he was really saying, I believe, was "Think Success"...

It's much better (and more fun) to be a successful club that a big one. Or as the saying goes, it's literally not about size but what you do with it that counts.

No he was thinking both. "This is not a small club this is a big club" is a direct quote.

In the 50's and early 60's when location wasn't such a detriment I doubt anyone called it a small club. Certainly not for the majority of the first hundred years.

Some comments from Lambert regarding Graham...

"I've always liked Danny Graham, he was always my achilles heel at Norwich, he always scored against me for some reason," he added.
"I think people forget that he was a massive goalscorer at Carlisle, Watford and Swansea. The only spell where he hasn't scored is at Sunderland, and that can happen.
"Certain clubs suit certain people, certain things happen with the right manager and the right players around you all those sort of things, and of course you need a bit of luck.
"But Danny Graham is a proven goalscorer and I don't think people should underestimate him.
"I've seen first hand this morning that he's a good player. I'm really looking forward to working with him, I think he can be a genuine threat."

The line "certain clubs...... " is one that makes sense. You can tell that his intention is to mould/build a TEAM and that takes different cogs. They don't all have to be great ones. This guy strikes me as someone who wants that them and us mentality out on the pitch not just throw eleven out there who have a reputation and hope for the best. Or just finding positions in the eleven for cheap young signings hoping mainly to increase their value.

Bite scrap and gouge to try and win, there were signs of it the other night.

Archived