BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rip Terry Wogan

The world today is poorer for the death of Terry Wogan. He made my journey to work in Manchester every morning much shorter with his witty banter. I was definitely one of his TOGs, Rest in peace Sir Terry I will miss you as will many others. You made our lives better.

Every time I heard his voice it reminded me of my mum laughing in the mornings listening to him take the micky out of Dallas.

Loved the gentle banter with his mates and the Togs. Janet and John stories are worth a listen on YouTube.

RIP Terry.

Another at the Biased B*stards Corporation who knew about Savile and did nothing about it.

Your right he did know. But so did the Police, media , politicians and the Royal family. It wasn't Terry Wogans job to bring Saville to justice. Saville obviously had a lot of dirt on high up people.

P.S I don't buy a TV licence and never will.

Every time I heard his voice it reminded me of my mum laughing in the mornings listening to him take the micky out of Dallas.

Loved the gentle banter with his mates and the Togs. Janet and John stories are worth a listen on YouTube.

RIP Terry.

BBC Radio ..... funded by the licence fee, which you refuse to pay. Hope you enjoyed your free entertainment.

I'm fully in favour of the BBC and the license. There needs to be one solitary place you can access quality media without the pain of disgusting advertising. It's that bad these days you can't even watch the weather forecast without it being sponsored by Fords of Winsford

I'm fully in favour of the BBC and the license. There needs to be one solitary place you can access quality media without the pain of disgusting advertising. It's that bad these days you can't even watch the weather forecast without it being sponsored by Fords of Winsford

Yes I know what you mean, but it is a burden on the less well off who have no choice but to pay it.

Yes I know what you mean, but it is a burden on the less well off who have no choice but to pay it.

I pay mine by direct debit, £12.12 per month. That's only £2.50 dearer than a packet of 20 B&H, or 4 pints or £63.63 cheaper then the full sky package per month.

Anyway, on topic, this year sucks. Think we should just declare this a national year of mourning.

Your right he did know. But so did the Police, media , politicians and the Royal family. It wasn't Terry Wogans job to bring Saville to justice. Saville obviously had a lot of dirt on high up people.

All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing. Wogan certainly wasn't alone in turning a blind eye or passing the buck, but I couldn't keep quiet if I suspected one of my colleagues to be a serial child molester.

P.S I don't buy a TV licence and never will.

Good for you. There's no need for a state-funded broadcaster in the 21st century.

I enjoy the Radio in my vehicle. I watch TV but that's not illegal.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/about/foi-legal-framework-AB16

The requirement to hold a TV Licence and to pay a fee for it is mandated by law under the Communications Act 2003 and Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004 (as amended). It is an offence to watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on any channel and on any broadcast platform (terrestrial, satellite, cable and the internet) without a valid TV Licence.

What a month this has been for big names departing, listening to Radio Lancs this morning and some guy counted 13/14 so far

Was worried when I saw Bret Hart trending on twitter. Not dead but he's been diagnosed with prostate cancer.

Didn't really watch or listen to Wogan so can't really say much. Tv license fee is an outdated joke.

TV is heading toward total subscription on a pay for what you watch formula. Instead of huge overpriced packages (an increasingly desperate Sky offer) you will actually pay in smaller amounts for exactly what appears on the screen.

Worrying for the Premier League.

Hopefully the Beeb will remain ad free, it's the only place left.

The requirement to hold a TV Licence and to pay a fee for it is mandated by law under the Communications Act 2003 and Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004 (as amended). It is an offence to watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on any channel and on any broadcast platform (terrestrial, satellite, cable and the internet) without a valid TV Licence.

Like I said, I watch TV without breaking the law.

Good for you. There's no need for a state-funded broadcaster in the 21st century.

I could write a 1,000 word essay on why the BBC is one of the best things about Britain. But I won't, because it would be lost on you. So instead I'll invite you to go and live in the US where they have horrors such as Fox TV. Now clear off.

I could write a 1,000 word essay on why the BBC is one of the best things about Britain. But I won't, because it would be lost on you. So instead I'll invite you to go and live in the US where they have horrors such as Fox TV. Now clear off.

Hey its not easy to move to the US you know!

Don't you think the BBC could still be "one of the best things about Britain" with different sources of funding? Hopefully license will be scrapped in next few years anyway.

Why do people want the TV licence scrapped and what would be your alternative?

Like jim mk2 I think the BBC is a wonderful organisation producing very high quality television and radio. The depth, range and quality of the BBC is quite incredible. Add to this the huge range of web based services and one has the world's leading broadcaster. If this is going to be a debate let's ignore the politics and look at the programming. Life without her would be much the poorer.

We have Netflix, I'm not really sure why as I have impression most content is available on PPV from Amazon - certainly the film range is far superior on Amazon.

My wife watches some Anerican TV on Netflix, most recently Storybrooke as an example. The two things which strike me about this are how can an intelligent woman spend hours watching such mediocre rubbish - she knows my opinion - and secondly why would a fine actor like Robert Carlyle bother? Money presumably

We watched two seasons of Breaking Bad, a funny and original idea but by the third it became tired and wearisome and clearly about nothing but money.

As these two examples are deemed good enough to sell overseas I presume they are seen as top quality. Really?

There is no doubt the Beeb continues with long running series for many, many years and for me often well past the sell by date but the quality tends to remain.

I feel the deeply commercial interests in American TV significantly reduce the quality though there are still original ideas out there. Serial, a podcast, I thought very clever though I'm frustrated by the second series being fortnightly - presumably another financially driven decision.

Look at ITV, much of its original and often quality TV becomes unwatchable with the constant ad breaks - the higher the quality the more breaks. Frustrating and I doubt we watch any live ITV these days.

The real test to me is when did you ever hear someone say "Did you watch such and such on insert broadcaster?" £150 against up to £1000 plus for Sky? Complete no brainer for me.

Watching catchup TV like iplayer (not the live channel part) and Netflix have been proven to not need a license although the BBC wants to re-write the rules again to include iplayer in that.

However the onus is on the end user to prove that they have no receiving equipment in their TV to even be able to watch live programmes. If you have a tuner, you will get fined (if caught)

I agree with Paul and Jim on this. The BBC (for all it's faults) is a brilliant broadcaster admired the world over. Getting rid of its funding and mandate would reduce it to being just the same as every other broadcast medium, full of adverts. No thanks.

Jim mentions US TV earlier and I couldn't agree more. Have you tried watching live TV in the US? its appalling. Opening credits -> adverts -> 10 minutes -> adverts -> 10 minutes -> adverts -> 2 minutes -> adverts -> closing credits.

Amazon and Netflix might well be the way to go. Pay a subscription but at least you don't get adverts spoiling everything. They just really annoy me due to the fact they don't have a fraction of the films you might want and license agreements run out and suddenly whole series disappear.

Although I did recently use Neflix as my bargaining chip to get Sky to reduce my Family Pack (£38pm) back down to £24pm for the next year.

We watched two seasons of Breaking Bad, a funny and original idea but by the third it became tired and wearisome and clearly about nothing but money.

Say whut.

Three seasons is short-lived by American TV standards. Just look at LOST or The Walking Dead. They could've happily milked the show for a few more seasons if all they cared about was money. In fact, I almost wished that they had at least made one more. So obviously, I couldn't disagree more that the show's quality declined. It was almost flawless from start to finish.

Archived