BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rip Terry Wogan

Those wanting to scrap the licence fee, when was the last insightful documentary on ITV, the last intelligent comedy, the last mainstream weekend program not involving people having to text in?

As for the adverts, well the BBC show adverts of themselves between every program (but not in the middle tbf), its more that if it went advert based, then the advertisers would be trying to drive content to the highest rating driven content, whether it be drivel or not.

Why change something thats not broken?

Say whut.Three seasons is short-lived by American TV standards. Just look at LOST or The Walking Dead. They could've happily milked the show for a few more seasons if all they cared about was money. In fact, I almost wished that they had at least made one more. So obviously, I couldn't disagree more that the show's quality declined. It was almost flawless from start to finish.

Id agree Breaking Bad was a brilliant series, I think it improved throughout.

Those wanting to scrap the licence fee, when was the last insightful documentary on ITV, the last intelligent comedy, the last mainstream weekend program not involving people having to text in?

If the BBC is such a cherished institution, then offer a voluntary subscription service. Don't charge a poll tax for anyone who owns a tele.

The BBC exists in a public sector bubble , protected from outside competition. I find it amazing that it costs £4 billion of licence payers money to operate. In today's age of " austerity" forcing people to pay £145.50 for something that they might not value or watch , so that other viewers can enjoy insightful documentaries or intelligent comedies is unfair, undemocratic and suits the middle class.

• Moderation Lead

I'm sure I saw a comment recently saying that it won't be feasible for much longer, and will be scrapped within 10 years.

In any case, a lot of people don't really watch live TV any more and watch things on demand. The only things I ever tend to watch are Footy, but I pay my BT subscription for that.

Yes, anyway RIP Terry Wogan.

The biggest lesson I ever learned about public speaking was from him. Years ago he was asked how many listeners he had. At that time he could quite legitimately have said "Ten million" but instead he replied "Just the one".

That was a very insightful comment, and a salutary lesson to anyone who has to speak to large groups of people.

• 3 weeks later...

I could write a 1,000 word essay on why the BBC is one of the best things about Britain. But I won't, because it would be lost on you. So instead I'll invite you to go and live in the US where they have horrors such as Fox TV. Now clear off.

Well their image certainly isn't the best in Britain...another suspect ahead of the upcoming Savile report. There will probably be more guilty faces revealed though certainly innocent ones as well. Don't know enough about this particular guy (even if he has been on air 5 decades) to have an opinion either way.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/feb/25/tony-blackburn-says-he-will-sue-the-bbc-after-alleged-sacking

• Backroom

I could write a 1,000 word essay on why the BBC is one of the best things about Britain. But I won't, because it would be lost on you. So instead I'll invite you to go and live in the US where they have horrors such as Fox TV. Now clear off.

1000 words? That's about 2.5 sides of A4. I'd expect at least 2500 words from anyone making a proper argument (meaning you would also have to reference the negative sides of the BBC before getting anywhere near a 50% mark).

Well their image certainly isn't the best in Britain...another suspect ahead of the upcoming Savile report. There will probably be more guilty faces revealed though certainly innocent ones as well. Don't know enough about this particular guy (even if he has been on air 5 decades) to have an opinion either way.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/feb/25/tony-blackburn-says-he-will-sue-the-bbc-after-alleged-sacking

I would be careful Vinjay, calling Tony Blackburn a suspect (if that's who you mean) because as far as I know he isn't. Not that I've ever liked or rated the fella. Also, how can you 'have an opinion either way' about someone with something like this? Guilt or innocence is for a court to decide surely?

I would be careful Vinjay, calling Tony Blackburn a suspect (if that's who you mean) because as far as I know he isn't. Not that I've ever liked or rated the fella. Also, how can you 'have an opinion either way' about someone with something like this? Guilt or innocence is for a court to decide surely?

Didn't read the article very carefully.

Archived