BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Them From Yorksheer When Police Say It All Kicks Off At 12.30!

Do we have UV lighting rigs? It's the first time I've heard this. Years back I wouldn't have been surprised if Rovers did light the pitch, today I'd be very surprised as we are so focused on cost saving before success.

While I don't have any data I'm inclined to think the winter weather conditions are now taking toll on the pitch. High rainfall, higher than usual temperatures and low light levels may combine to promote top growth but little root growth. Recently the pitch has dried out but plant growth slowed with the recent drop in temperature. It could be there has not been enough root growth this winter to hold the pitch together and the drier surface is now breaking up. It was noticeable the sprinklers were in use in Saturday for the first time in ages.

What's below the surface is just as important as what's on top.

Interesting to hear some of the science.

Re UV lighting rigs - I am sure I have seen some pictures of them in use at Ewood. However - unless somebody walks past Ewood on a daily basis and is fully conversant with how often they should be used, and what the cost is, it is just speculation to say that we have cut back on their use.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting to hear some of the science.

Re UV lighting rigs - I am sure I have seen some pictures of them in use at Ewood. However - unless somebody walks past Ewood on a daily basis and is fully conversant with how often they should be used, and what the cost is, it is just speculation to say that we have cut back on their use.

They definitely exist as I've seen them in use on a Rovers tour of the ground. Having re-laid the pitch at great expense, it seems a tragedy it's not being maintained. It doesn't suit PL's style when it's bobbling around.

Just chatting on Saturday, and it was put forward as a reason. Other pitches (save Charlton's) seem to be ok?

They definitely exist as I've seen them in use on a Rovers tour of the ground. Having re-laid the pitch at great expense, it seems a tragedy it's not being maintained. It doesn't suit PL's style when it's bobbling around.

Just chatting on Saturday, and it was put forward as a reason. Other pitches (save Charlton's) seem to be ok?

Cost cutting due to lack of money perhaps ?

Do we have UV lighting rigs? It's the first time I've heard this. Years back I wouldn't have been surprised if Rovers did light the pitch, today I'd be very surprised as we are so focused on cost saving before success.

While I don't have any data I'm inclined to think the winter weather conditions are now taking toll on the pitch. High rainfall, higher than usual temperatures and low light levels may combine to promote top growth but little root growth. Recently the pitch has dried out but plant growth slowed with the recent drop in temperature. It could be there has not been enough root growth this winter to hold the pitch together and the drier surface is now breaking up. It was noticeable the sprinklers were in use in Saturday for the first time in ages.

What's below the surface is just as important as what's on top.

I can confirm that Rovers do indeed have UV lighting rigs because I have seen them! On the morning of Friday 4 April when it snowed, there were two banks lighting up the Blackburn end penalty area. Looked a bit surreal in the vast expanse of whiteness.

I suspect they might be stored in the big container between the Riverside and the Darwen end.

Archived