BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Them From Yorksheer When Police Say It All Kicks Off At 12.30!

I believe that Graham and Watt will be retained (finances from Venky's permitting) so that leaves Gomez and Grimes on loan and probably Spurr and maybe Steele who will be replaced. 4 players, I'd say that's normal summer business for most clubs.

Do you think Watt has done enough to show he merits a permanent deal? I don't, not by a long chalk.

Graham has done better than I expected and has probably shown enough to indicate he'd be an asset alongside an out and out goalscorer on the right terms but he was interviewed on Talksport after one of the recent games and was extremely non committal about his future other than to say it probably wouldn't be with Sunderland as his deal there was up in the summer. Certainly didn't sound as though he was pushing to join us permanently. Suppose it depends on what offers he receives in the summer if any.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't fault the effort, but I think a number of players looked jaded today from their efforts over the past month or so. Despite the result I feel really optimistic about the future with the way that Lambert is going about rebuilding things. There is still plenty to do but Bennett has proved an excellent permanent addition to the squad. Watt's transfer has been agreed, Graham clearly want to be here next season with what he said the other day and if we can get Gomez signed up we will, together with the likes of Hanley, Duffy, Marshall, Lenihan and Evans have the foundations of a really promising squad. I would also give Jackson a contract for next season as he is a more than useful guy to come off the bench. Hopefully the owners will back Lambert with cash when they meet in a couple of weeks time.

Tired isn't an excuse, it's scientific fact. It doesn't mean they can't play, they could play every day if you asked them to, just means that they aren't 100%.

Think how much difference a drop of a few percent makes in Formula 1 or athletics, the margins between victory and defeat are tiny. All top level sport is the same, football is no different. If we have a team operating at 95% and the other at 100%, chances are we'll lose.

On the tennis thing btw...footballers cover over twice as much ground in a match than tennis players do. Most will run half a marathon in 90 minutes, quite a lot of it sprinting as well! I play and can easily do a few hours tennis and feel fine the next day. If I do even an hour of football I feel it for days!

Did Leeds not play midweek then? Genuine question as I can't remember for certain but I'm assuming there was a full Championship programme. If they didn't then the "tired" line might have some validity. If they did, then it's an excuse and a poor one at that as it's the same for everyone

Do you think Watt has done enough to show he merits a permanent deal? I don't, not by a long chalk.

Graham has done better than I expected and has probably shown enough to indicate he'd be an asset alongside an out and out goalscorer on the right terms but he was interviewed on Talksport after one of the recent games and was extremely non committal about his future other than to say it probably wouldn't be with Sunderland as his deal there was up in the summer. Certainly didn't sound as though he was pushing to join us permanently. Suppose it depends on what offers he receives in the summer if any.

Watt has shown glimpses of real talent but this is overshadowed by the fact that he's nowhere near fit enough. I think the fact that fans from both former clubs were gutted that he left them gives a good indication as to his qualities too. I certainly wouldn't be too disappointed if we do sign him.

Graham has made lots of noises lately in the local rag about enjoying his football here but that it's not up to him. I'd say he fancies it and we're in the box seat to get him should finances allow.

What you cannot deny though is how much better the team now functions as a unit. For me, the fact that we are embedding a pattern of play is preparation enough. It certainly makes it a hell of a lot easier to identify personnel to play within that system rather than adopting the old scattergun approach.

Tired isn't an excuse, it's scientific fact. It doesn't mean they can't play, they could play every day if you asked them to, just means that they aren't 100%.

Think how much difference a drop of a few percent makes in Formula 1 or athletics, the margins between victory and defeat are tiny. All top level sport is the same, football is no different. If we have a team operating at 95% and the other at 100%, chances are we'll lose.

On the tennis thing btw...footballers cover over twice as much ground in a match than tennis players do. Most will run half a marathon in 90 minutes, quite a lot of it sprinting as well! I play and can easily do a few hours tennis and feel fine the next day. If I do even an hour of football I feel it for days!

I get what you're saying, but don't agree. When you play so many games in the space of so many days, players are given extra time off, that makes up for the tiredness, imo of course. It's all in the mind.

I watched a documentary once that showed how much calories are burned in certain sports and tennis came above football. Football you may run more miles but doesn't mean you work as hard. It's like going down the gym and doing a session of high intensity for 20 mins, and the next day doing medium intensity for 60mins, you may run further but you won't burn as many calories, even though you've run further and for longer. It's all relative I suppose mate.

Did Leeds not play midweek then? Genuine question as I can't remember for certain but I'm assuming there was a full Championship programme. If they didn't then the "tired" line might have some validity. If they did, then it's an excuse and a poor one at that as it's the same for everyone

I was making a general point rather than saying today was about tiredness.

It's more complicated than two consecutive games though. We've played nine games in less than a month. It can add up.

Yes they won away at Cardiff, so you could argue they'd have more of an excuse with two away trips.

I was making a general point rather than saying today was about tiredness.

It's more complicated than two consecutive games though. We've played nine games in less than a month. It can add up.

To be fair to rovers i don't think we actually played that bad mate. We were well on top until they scored, then we had a good spell in second half. They took their second goal really well, and we could have easily nicked a point.

Can't fault the effort, but I think a number of players looked jaded today from their efforts over the past month or so. Despite the result I feel really optimistic about the future with the way that Lambert is going about rebuilding things. There is still plenty to do but Bennett has proved an excellent permanent addition to the squad. Watt's transfer has been agreed, Graham clearly want to be here next season with what he said the other day and if we can get Gomez signed up we will, together with the likes of Hanley, Duffy, Marshall, Lenihan and Evans have the foundations of a really promising squad. I would also give Jackson a contract for next season as he is a more than useful guy to come off the bench. Hopefully the owners will back Lambert with cash when they meet in a couple of weeks time.

Jackson's another player who isn't good enough if we want to be challenging at the right end of the table next season imo. Nippy player who shows up well in brief cameo appearances at the end of games but never likely to trouble the scorers too often.

Whilst Bennett has improved a bit I'm still not too sure what he brings to the party and he has been pretty disappointing overall for me. If he was on loan I wouldn't be looking to sign him permanently.

Gomez, I was told Lambert had said on Radio Lancs we couldn't afford to bring him here permanently but I didn't hear it myself so that might be incorrect.

Grimes can't get a start, Graham's been the most promising but overall I see it as a case of having to start again more or less from from scratch in summer.

That defensive cock up fir the first goal changed everything , can't even remember which two players left it . That would get a bollocking at pub level .

Akpan was awful as was Gomez ( he's hit or miss and not consistent enough) .

One word for the ref ... @#/? .

Every corner / throw akpan was fouled and how he didn't give a pen for that handball late on was or should be sackable .

Tired ??? FFS Leeds played in another country the other day . Tired is an excuse for losing ! Deedums , they can't play 2 games a week then they should @#/? off and play crown green bowling.

Agreed. We need a right back, left back, and a midfield leader of the ilk of (spit) Barton though. Touch of déjà vu there.

Back posting after we lose a game?I'd suggest you don't have a clue what your talking about.I never read anything positive from you.Do you still think Danny Graham isn't good enough?

Jackson's another player who isn't good enough if we want to be challenging at the right end of the table next season imo. Nippy player who shows up well in brief cameo appearances at the end of games but never likely to trouble the scorers too often.

Whilst Bennett has improved a bit I'm still not too sure what he brings to the party and he has been pretty disappointing overall for me. If he was on loan I wouldn't be looking to sign him permanently.

Gomez, I was told Lambert had said on Radio Lancs we couldn't afford to bring him here permanently but I didn't hear it myself so that might be incorrect.

Grimes can't get a start, Graham's been the most promising but overall I see it as a case of having to start again more or less from from scratch in summer.

Here is BBC Radio Lancs interview

https://audioboom.com/boos/4293792-audio-onerovers-manager-paul-lambert-on-the-defeat-by-leeds

And I would be given Jackson a new contract. Give us something different

Back posting after we lose a game?I'd suggest you don't have a clue what your talking about.I never read anything positive from you.Do you still think Danny Graham isn't good enough?

I was thinking the same!

Rev - when was the last time you posted after a victory? Seems like you only come on here after defeats.

The commentators kept referring to how poor the playing surface was today and how it was causing our players, especially Marshall, problems (same for Leeds players though).

Was the pitch that bad? It has looked decent to me this season.

Looks in poor condition to me. Not much grass on it and ball bobbling around in certain areas

The commentators kept referring to how poor the playing surface was today and how it was causing our players, especially Marshall, problems (same for Leeds players though).

Was the pitch that bad? It has looked decent to me this season.

We chatted before the game how bad it was .

Very poor PB. Couldn't work out if we had been putting sand on it. The sprinklers were on again. I guess after all of the rain it must have dried out quite a bit.

There was a Leeds shot in the first half which didn't so much bobble as hit a divot and Steele did well to keep his eye on it.

Made some good saves today too.

• Backroom

Weird really the pitch has been fine then today it was noticeably terrible.

For me Jackson would get a contract, one of the better options from the bench we have had in years constantly around the defenders winning corners and free kicks and should have had a couple of penalties.

Won't score loads but for the shape we play a very good option I think.

I think people are being a bit harsh on Bennett, yeah he's not someone who's going to beat 3 and smash a goal in but he certainly sets a standard of work rate and think he was tidy and broke up play well. To be honest I thought some of his deliveries were decent today, especially in the first half but the poor ones will always stick in the mind and admittedly there were a few in the second that could have been better. All in all I thought he was much better than the other midfielders we had today.

Was unsure about Graham when we first signed him but you can tell that he's a pretty competent player at this standard and will likely get into double figures in a season, put someone with quality along side him and we could have a real strike force... Maybe someone like Dwight Gayle. Definitely would be signing him on a free if his wage demands are reasonable.

Simeon Jackson is a decent 4th choice striker I think, he's ideal if you need to play 3 up front and need a goal or if you need you need someone to work their balls off to protect a 1-0 lead. Wage demands would hardly be silly either so wouldn't have a problem with him staying if that was the case.

We need some investment in the full back areas, still don't rate Steele and think we desperately lack a leader and someone who hates to get beat in centre mid. Personally I would break the bank for someone like Charlie Adam... Can score a goal, loves a tackle, works hard, hates to lose and has the experience of promotion.

Weird really the pitch has been fine then today it was noticeably terrible.

For me Jackson would get a contract, one of the better options from the bench we have had in years constantly around the defenders winning corners and free kicks and should have had a couple of penalties.

Won't score loads but for the shape we play a very good option I think.

Agreed...and in theory a cheap one. Would go with Graham as well but we need a good striker up with him. Not sure Watt is consistent enough. We need better.

Archived