BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Daugther's first game

I'm planning to bring my  daughter over for her first Blackburn game. She is 9 years old. 

Looking for suggestions for the optimal matchday experience as well as other things to do. We'll be staying for the weekend, probably based in Manchester.

Thanks in advance!

Hope she enjoy the game.

I would suggest taking her to the fan zone and after the game waiting outside the Jack Walker stand after the game and she will be able to get autographs and pictures with some of the players and coaching staff.

My step daughter got some autographs last season from some players

16 minutes ago, briansol said:

I'm planning to bring my  daughter over for her first Blackburn game. She is 9 years old. 

Looking for suggestions for the optimal matchday experience as well as other things to do. We'll be staying for the weekend, probably based in Manchester.

Thanks in advance!

Book into the premier suite in Jack Walker stand - https://www.rovers.co.uk/hospitality/matchday/premier-suite/

35 minutes ago, briansol said:

Thanks in advance!

Let me know about Mcr.

Il send you hotels, eateries, bars, latest theatre shows and stuff to do list if needed?

Start off with a swift few down the Station in Cherry Tree. At about 11am make your way over the canal bridge and up to Livesy Branch - stop off in the bland Wellington Arms if she really fancies a beer, if not I'd suggest continuing the walk until you get to the White Bull. Decent enough pint of Fosters but if she likes playing pool she's in for a long wait.

You are now in "prime-zone". There's 3 pubs within a stones throw from another. Take a walk over the road to get a chocolate bar from the shop and a swift one in the Moorgate - by swift I mean try drinking it before it touches the dirty glass. Then have a stroll over to the Brown Cow. If she's lucky she might get a day where there's a protest leaving from here. If not she might get a few half arsed chants and a spilt beer over here new trainers and more than likely a jagerbomb to get over the smell of stale ale.

After you've immersed yourself in the Brown Cow spirit it's time for the "bend". By now all idea of pedestrian footpaths being separated from the road have gone. Walk wherever you want. A paticular favourite of mine is those that decide to cross on the bend, real risk takers. If you make it down here without at least a little trip you've done alright. It's not as busy as it once was anyway.

A quick half in the fox and hounds with a chorus of Only One Jack Walker and then you make your way over the junction. Note the standing line of people waiting for a Maccies at the "Drive-Thru". Hilarious.

Once you've dodged your way through irate drivers, taxi drivers that think edging forward constantly is the correct way to move through a crowd and the odd away fan shouting something you can't understand you've made it to Mecca, or Ewood as its called.

Make sure she doesn't have any banners on her, or chickens, or tennis balls, or whistles. Depending on where you sit depends on the level of security - if you are in the Darwen End you are the enemy of the club. Expect to be recorded by the police and a full cavity search. If you are JW upper you'll be handed a warm carrot soup and a shortbread.

Now you are in the ground buy an overpriced "pie and pint" deal. Pie is alright, beer is bang average. We used to sing under the concourse but nowadays it's all a bit mooted. Something just isn't quite right.

Take your choice of seat, we have plenty to go round. If you are in the Riverside make sure you stand up 15 minutes to go and watch the game from the edge of the stand for the true Riverside experience. If you are in the Blackburn End you stand and clap for 5 minutes after or you're a Judas.

After the game back to the Fox for a few before heading back to the local to spend the night telling the rest of the pub what you'd have done to win the game, that Danny Graham's legs have gone and TM isn't the man for the job. If we won it's, of course, the best you've seen Rovers play in years.

If, by any chance, your daughter doesn't drink she's in for a rough time. I'd go to Legoland.

31 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Let me know about Mcr.

Il send you hotels, eateries, bars, latest theatre shows and stuff to do list if needed?

Shopping, shows, exhibitions, museums that appeals to a 9 year old would be much appreciated

3 minutes ago, briansol said:

Shopping, shows, exhibitions, museums that appeals to a 9 year old would be much appreciated

Are you driving over here? The Trafford centre is a large two storey mall of shops and eateries (chai baby is the Thai place to go) across has an indoor rock climbing centre, ski slope, sea world and mini Lego land. So it's worth a days visit.

Football museum formally at PNE is now right in the city centre across the way from Manchester Victoria station. Whilst the afternoon can be spent in the Arndale of which is another large shopping centre but in the city and directly across from the museum. Plenty of eateries next door and through that stretch ranging from very fine dining such as Hawksmoor to even everyday like Prezzo and Nandos etc.

Il log onto ATC now and key in the dates for shows, Lowry centre at media city, opera house on deansgate (city centre), palace theatre and MEN all in the centre too.

Hotels wise best to book now as concerts and football and general day trippers book the city out, my suggestion would be the Ibis in the CC near china town.

4 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

Are you driving over here? The Trafford centre is a large two storey mall of shops and eateries (chai baby is the Thai place to go) across has an indoor rock climbing centre, ski slope, sea world and mini Lego land. So it's worth a days visit.

Football museum formally at PNE is now right in the city centre across the way from Manchester Victoria station. Whilst the afternoon can be spent in the Arndale of which is another large shopping centre but in the city and directly across from the museum. Plenty of eateries next door and through that stretch ranging from very fine dining such as Hawksmoor to even everyday like Prezzo and Nandos etc.

Il log onto ATC now and key in the dates for shows, Lowry centre at media city, opera house on deansgate (city centre), palace theatre and MEN all in the centre too.

Hotels wise best to book now as concerts and football and general day trippers book the city out, my suggestion would be the Ibis in the CC near china town.

Thanks a lot. Very helpful

Archived