BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lenihan has broken foot

Can see him right hand side of a back three with Downing and Charlie.

And if there’s any injuries or suspensions then in comes Super Elliott Ward. 

A flawless strategy.

In all seriousness, be good to have him back as an option but would hate him just to stroll back into the team in place of Downing at the moment.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

When did he play with another partner? 

With Ward against Northampton. I watched it on iFollow, and Downing wasn't his usual steady self.

As usual, though, it's always unfair to judge players based on one match. I'll also concede that Downing hasn't been his usual self the last few times I've seen him, but by no means a liability, a la Ward, either.

While I'm at it, I think this argument about "he won't cut it Championship level" is largely nonsense. I think most of us would have had Downing down as a League Two level player before he came here, but he's been excellent since coming to Rovers.

54 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

When did he play with another partner? 

He made his debut playing in combination with Ward at Rochdale. Charlie Boy was injured playing for Scotland previously. Both of them looked shaky in possession in the first half an hour but they got better as the game went on. Downing looked the better of the two even on his debut.

55 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

With Ward against Northampton. I watched it on iFollow, and Downing wasn't his usual steady self.

As usual, though, it's always unfair to judge players based on one match. I'll also concede that Downing hasn't been his usual self the last few times I've seen him, but by no means a liability, a la Ward, either.

While I'm at it, I think this argument about "he won't cut it Championship level" is largely nonsense. I think most of us would have had Downing down as a League Two level player before he came here, but he's been excellent since coming to Rovers.

I’ve been pleasantly surprised on the partnership he seems to have struck up with Mulgrew. I would of thought that most of us on this site would of thought an off cast from MK wouldn’t of been able to cut it here but have been proven wrong. Mulgrew is definitely the key here on bringing Downing up a level, our most important player in my book. Not thinking too much whether Downing will be able to do a job for us in the championship, let’s get back there again first! 

Archived