BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Time for "Fab Four"?

Not a Beatles revival but if there was a last 4 game mini season ticket how many waverers (such as me) could be induced to give qualified support to the avoiding relegation effort of TM and players without committing to long term Venky support.

Not seen or heard any figures on take-up of the Big 6 offer that almost got me over the line.

With great respect, and I've no issue with anyone who wishes to protest or boycott, you either boycott or you don't. There can't be a halfway house. 

I presume boycotters believe getting rid of Venkys more important than supporting the team. No problem for me but suddenly returning for no reason apparent to the Raos will negate the impact of your efforts to date.

In general terms the boycotters wouldn't return for 1875 which was a very good reason to. Helping avoid relegation, yes a good thing, but possibly an extra 10,000 urging the team on since last August would have had an even greater effect?

You've also said you might do it if the tickets were on a deal of some sort. So it's OK to help avoid relegation on the cheap but not at full match ticket price. Strange priority and places a value on your support?

5 hours ago, Paul said:

With great respect, and I've no issue with anyone who wishes to protest or boycott, you either boycott or you don't. There can't be a halfway house. 

I presume boycotters believe getting rid of Venkys more important than supporting the team. No problem for me but suddenly returning for no reason apparent to the Raos will negate the impact of your efforts to date.

In general terms the boycotters wouldn't return for 1875 which was a very good reason to. Helping avoid relegation, yes a good thing, but possibly an extra 10,000 urging the team on since last August would have had an even greater effect?

You've also said you might do it if the tickets were on a deal of some sort. So it's OK to help avoid relegation on the cheap but not at full match ticket price. Strange priority and places a value on your support?

for a mod on here that a pretty damming response,for the 1st time in over a year supporters have a belief in the club,we all know whose hiding in the cupboard and most fans want to forget about them.The long overdue sacking of coil has lifted the gloom,and im sure the fab 4 prices are not cheaper than your season ticket,if it was me i would open the gates for the last 4 home games,but that would annoy the so called Rovers Fans.

Just now, duggy9197 said:

for a mod on here that a pretty damming response,for the 1st time in over a year supporters have a belief in the club,we all know whose hiding in the cupboard and most fans want to forget about them.The long overdue sacking of coil has lifted the gloom,and im sure the fab 4 prices are not cheaper than your season ticket,if it was me i would open the gates for the last 4 home games,but that would annoy the so called Rovers Fans.

Whoa there buddy,  so called Rovers fans, give your head a wobble, the ones like me that go i would imagine do not appreciate your comments, not a very good post, re think and try again.

9 hours ago, because of boxing day said:

Not a Beatles revival but if there was a last 4 game mini season ticket how many waverers (such as me) could be induced to give qualified support to the avoiding relegation effort of TM and players without committing to long term Venky support.

Not seen or heard any figures on take-up of the Big 6 offer that almost got me over the line.

Well if last night was in the Big 6 deal, not many have bothered taking it up. Whatever nonsensical figure they gave out for last nights attendance  there weren't 8000 bodies in the ground

2 hours ago, duggy9197 said:

No belief in the club. Belief in the manager maybe but the club is still the same and always will be with these shysters in charge

10 hours ago, duggy9197 said:

I don't understand why being a moderator here should influence my view of the club. Could you explain how that works?

I imagine if mods refrained from criticising the club we would quickly be accused of being lapdogs or in the club's pocket.

Please see my other comments below. 

12 hours ago, cmb211087 said:

I see Rovers have announced the Big 4 ticket, so unlike Paul do see some point in trying to entice back fans

I didn't suggest the club should not try to entice fans back. Of course they should. 

What I have questioned is boycotters returning under these circumstances. Boycotting comes down to this; fans openly stating they refuse to enter the ground while Venkys are owners and will not give the club another penny till they leave. I have no problem with this, it's a personal choice.

What I question is this. Coyle is sacked, Mowbray arrives, performance improves as do results. If this is what it takes to persuade boycotters to return it undermines their whole argument. 

Imagine a promotion season next year followed by PL football under Venkys ownership. Boycotters returning are effectively saying give me decent football and I'll come back despite stating I'll never go back till Venkys leave. This negates all protest.

Boycott by all means but boycotting should mean staying away in both good and bad times. In exactly the same way as supporting the club means in the good and bad times. I still go. 

It's my view if a boycotter returns because it's a good ticket deal and the football is better that supporter was never truly boycotting in the first place. Stay away if the football is rubbish, I don't object to that, but don't dress it shouldn't be dressed up as boycotting. 

7 hours ago, roverandout said:

No belief in the club. Belief in the manager maybe but the club is still the same and always will be with these shysters in charge

Exactly. 

Your post, Paul, is precisely what I've said all along: I'm not sure I'm a boycotter,  just someone who, whilst still hoping for the best for the team, found attending all too depressing, largely because of the decisions of the owners, but also because of the poor communications over closure of stands and the way that was handled, the fact that buying a season ticket no longer seemed a good deal because of the number of matches I'd miss, the fact that the football was dire and results made me miserable. I don't want to return till Venky's leave, but I do want to watch Rovers play. Should the club appear to return to normality, should venkys show real signs of having learnt, should Mowbray be given the opportunity to suggest players he could actually work with rather than having them foisted on him by whoever, should fans be treated like they mattered rather than looked on as an afterthought, I could easily be tempted back, but I wouldn't need a cheap special offer to get me there. 

Ideally my return would coincide with Venky's leaving, but Venky's becoming more responsible, supportive owners would do for me. 

I don't anticipate being back at Ewood any time soon.

2 hours ago, gumboots said:

Your post, Paul, is precisely what I've said all along: I'm not sure I'm a boycotter,  just someone who, whilst still hoping for the best for the team, found attending all too depressing, largely because of the decisions of the owners, but also because of the poor communications over closure of stands and the way that was handled, the fact that buying a season ticket no longer seemed a good deal because of the number of matches I'd miss, the fact that the football was dire and results made me miserable. I don't want to return till Venky's leave, but I do want to watch Rovers play. Should the club appear to return to normality, should venkys show real signs of having learnt, should Mowbray be given the opportunity to suggest players he could actually work with rather than having them foisted on him by whoever, should fans be treated like they mattered rather than looked on as an afterthought, I could easily be tempted back, but I wouldn't need a cheap special offer to get me there. 

Ideally my return would coincide with Venky's leaving, but Venky's becoming more responsible, supportive owners would do for me. 

I don't anticipate being back at Ewood any time soon.

I think you've just brought clarity to the true reasoning behind most stay-away fans, gumboots.

14 hours ago, Paul said:

I don't understand why being a moderator here should influence my view of the club. Could you explain how that works?

I imagine if mods refrained from criticising the club we would quickly be accused of being lapdogs or in the club's pocket.

Please see my other comments below. 

I didn't suggest the club should not try to entice fans back. Of course they should. 

What I have questioned is boycotters returning under these circumstances. Boycotting comes down to this; fans openly stating they refuse to enter the ground while Venkys are owners and will not give the club another penny till they leave. I have no problem with this, it's a personal choice.

What I question is this. Coyle is sacked, Mowbray arrives, performance improves as do results. If this is what it takes to persuade boycotters to return it undermines their whole argument. 

Imagine a promotion season next year followed by PL football under Venkys ownership. Boycotters returning are effectively saying give me decent football and I'll come back despite stating I'll never go back till Venkys leave. This negates all protest.

Boycott by all means but boycotting should mean staying away in both good and bad times. In exactly the same way as supporting the club means in the good and bad times. I still go. 

It's my view if a boycotter returns because it's a good ticket deal and the football is better that supporter was never truly boycotting in the first place. Stay away if the football is rubbish, I don't object to that, but don't dress it shouldn't be dressed up as boycotting. 

Exactly. 

Fair point well made!

15 hours ago, Paul said:

You're making a lot of assumptions there Paul. Maybe 'boycotters' see it as a lot more nuanced than 'Venky's own the club so I'm not going'. Coyle was the final straw for me personally.  Not because he's an awful manager (which he is)  but because he slagged off Rovers fans for rightly criticising Kean, got the job in a not very transparent manner to put it kindly, lied about SEM and then rounded on Rovers fans again when he was called out for being incompetent. After 6 years of a disgraceful ownership I'd had enough. 

Mowbray has now been appointed. He is a proper football man in the same way Bowyer was and in the way Coyle will never be. I know people who have known Mowbray and speak highly of him as a human being. For that reason alone I will be back next season (and probably even this) regardless of what division we are in. Like nearly every year since the late 70's. 

These aren't normal times. Bottom line is people can do what they want. They can stay away, boycott, only go away, go and watch Chorley if it suits. It's not about having an 'argument' or a postion and sticking to it, it's about doing what your gut tells you is right for you. Most people who 'boycott' have a very deep attachment to Rovers, like you do, they've just decided to not do the same as you. It's not for you to hold anyone to account, or to judge (although we all do it) if they change their minds and start going again because a decision has been made that looks to be in the best interests of the club.  

Withdrawing ones support in disgust is not the same as apathy.  Returning once the right decisions are being made for the right reasons is not the same as glory-hunting. 

As for staying away in good and bad times were you saying the same back in !995 when Ewood was packed with people who were nowhere to be seen at league games in the 1980's?  Were you saying it to 28k fans at Wembley in 1987?

Non-'boycotters' are just as fickle as any 'boycotter' you care to judge. 

53 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

You're making a lot of assumptions there Paul. Maybe 'boycotters' see it as a lot more nuanced than 'Venky's own the club so I'm not going'. Coyle was the final straw for me personally.  Not because he's an awful manager (which he is)  but because he slagged off Rovers fans for rightly criticising Kean, got the job in a not very transparent manner to put it kindly, lied about SEM and then rounded on Rovers fans again when he was called out for being incompetent. After 6 years of a disgraceful ownership I'd had enough. 

Mowbray has now been appointed. He is a proper football man in the same way Bowyer was and in the way Coyle will never be. I know people who have known Mowbray and speak highly of him as a human being. For that reason alone I will be back next season (and probably even this) regardless of what division we are in. Like nearly every year since the late 70's. 

These aren't normal times. Bottom line is people can do what they want. They can stay away, boycott, only go away, go and watch Chorley if it suits. It's not about having an 'argument' or a postion and sticking to it, it's about doing what your gut tells you is right for you. Most people who 'boycott' have a very deep attachment to Rovers, like you do, they've just decided to not do the same as you. It's not for you to hold anyone to account, or to judge (although we all do it) if they change their minds and start going again because a decision has been made that looks to be in the best interests of the club.  

Withdrawing ones support in disgust is not the same as apathy.  Returning once the right decisions are being made for the right reasons is not the same as glory-hunting. 

As for staying away in good and bad times were you saying the same back in !995 when Ewood was packed with people who were nowhere to be seen at league games in the 1980's?  Were you saying it to 28k fans at Wembley in 1987?

Non-'boycotters' are just as fickle as any 'boycotter' you care to judge. 

Great post.

Archived