BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Simon Garner

I have absolutely no doubt Gearner would have thrived in Division 1.

We had quite a few Cup draws against top flight teams in the late '80s and Simon terrified them. 

He certainly scored at least two in different FA Cup ties against Liverpool at their peak.

A magnificent break away goal away at QPR in the League Cup at Loftus Road when they were 6th in Div 1. Just seeing him crossing the half way line in a break away with the ball at his feet and I knew he was going to bury it past Phil Parkes.

And the hattrick he got at Portman Road in a 4-3 defeat. The Ipswich defence was basically England in those days- Terry Butcher and Russell Osman had Garns running between them all evening- they couldn't handle him (Mick Mills was at Ipswich as well). A John Wark special brought Ipswich back into it, then they pegged us back to 2-2 before Garns popped up again totally on his own with a shot against the post which he tucked home the rebound. Sadly we still couldn't hang on- Paul Mariner bagged their winner in the 87th minute.    

I think Ipswich won the UEFA Cup that season under Bobby Robson.

I shook hands with Simon on the pitch before he bagged the 5 against Derby. I should have been involved in more match day ball sponsorships...

12 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

I was genuinely going to make the comparison with Aguero because of the way he played, as per your description, and specifically the way he ran across the front line with and without the ball. He had a better left foot than Aguero though so I didn't bother.;)

It's weird mate. I thought about that today after I posted. Obviously Aguero comparisons are extreme, you'd think....But... dark hair, acceleration, clinical finisher, stocky. I don't know... I put it out there. No ones said otherwise!

However, I do know that Aguero has never been spotted pushing a pram around Blackburn town centre with a fag hanging out of his mouth the morning before a Saturday home game. Nor has he worn a proper football shirt, blue, and clear white halves. Instead of that insipid "sky" blue crap.

There's only one Simon Garner.

47 minutes ago, bob fleming said:

It's weird mate. I thought about that today after I posted. Obviously Aguero comparisons are extreme, you'd think....But... dark hair, acceleration, clinical finisher, stocky. I don't know... I put it out there. No ones said otherwise!

However, I do know that Aguero has never been spotted pushing a pram around Blackburn town centre with a fag hanging out of his mouth the morning before a Saturday home game. Nor has he worn a proper football shirt, blue, and clear white halves. Instead of that insipid "sky" blue crap.

Or jumping on the bus going to training with his boots in a Tesco bag, fag in gob like our Simon was spotted doing a time or two :lol:

1 hour ago, bob fleming said:

Classic

Mr Garner played 5 a side with my brother in law in Cookham, Berks until recently. Believe he still has a happy knack of finding the back of the net. They have a bet on which team will finish higher in their respective leagues, Rovers or Norwich. Not that this helps Savio in any way, shape or form, but I thought I'd mention it. 

16 hours ago, philipl said:

I have absolutely no doubt Gearner would have thrived in Division 1.

We had quite a few Cup draws against top flight teams in the late '80s and Simon terrified them. 

He certainly scored at least two in different FA Cup ties against Liverpool at their peak.

A magnificent break away goal away at QPR in the League Cup at Loftus Road when they were 6th in Div 1. Just seeing him crossing the half way line in a break away with the ball at his feet and I knew he was going to bury it past Phil Parkes.

And the hattrick he got at Portman Road in a 4-3 defeat. The Ipswich defence was basically England in those days- Terry Butcher and Russell Osman had Garns running between them all evening- they couldn't handle him (Mick Mills was at Ipswich as well). A John Wark special brought Ipswich back into it, then they pegged us back to 2-2 before Garns popped up again totally on his own with a shot against the post which he tucked home the rebound. Sadly we still couldn't hang on- Paul Mariner bagged their winner in the 87th minute.    

I think Ipswich won the UEFA Cup that season under Bobby Robson.

I shook hands with Simon on the pitch before he bagged the 5 against Derby. I should have been involved in more match day ball sponsorships...

Wasn’t it against Sheffield Utd he scored five ? at Ewood .

Archived