SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Convicts Return

Timmy

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever tried to catch a ball(tennis or otherwise) while looking into the sun, i'll tell you for free(put your money away) it is damn hard. I have had one in a match but many in practice and you don't catch many, normally if in the deep you play for the bounce!

I have to say jones did well to get in position for the catch and you could tell by his reaction he could hardly see it! probally more the umpires and designer of teh grounds fault!

338863[/snapback]

Gilchrist didn't look to hot either today. 2 missed stumpings and a dropped catch-it's becoming infectous

Everyone should lay off Geraint Jones. As a keeper myself i know how tough it is. The stumping chance was extremely difficult because of the suprise bounce on the ball, the catch into the sun was unfortunate, if he can't see the ball he aint gonna catch it! Geraints a good keeper and a damn good batter as well who is a useful member of the team.

Which is why I put the ALLEDGEDLY in at the start.

So whats your take on it Shaddy?

338986[/snapback]

IMO, it's too contrived. Ponting's coin toss decision was obviously a huge talking point considering how the second Test went. So, they've taken that angle, coupled it with the public image of a "full of himself" Warne, and spun it as a story.

What really gives it away for me is the alleged put down of Gillespie in the story. I know it is not out of the realms of possibility for such sniping to happen. But, to me it seems totally out of character of the squad, and worthy of a story in itself.

Having said that, Ponting has left himself exposed in this way because he's been a poor captain in this series. He hasn't lead by example. He's made some very poor decisions. And he's thrown away that image of the hard nosed Aussie captain.

I should though admit, I have a bias that influences my views. I was a huge admirer of Steve Waugh. The Waugh twins come from the western Sydney district that I come from (Bankstown), and Steve's my all-time favourite cricketer... and close to my all-time favourite sportsman.

Everyone should lay off Geraint Jones.

339004[/snapback]

Mate he is supposed to be of international standard, blind freddy could have taken the sitter behind the stumps. He didn't even have to move his gloves, the ball went in, then went out.

We have a new nickname for him Geraint 'cymbals' Jones (credit Dean Jones)

Mate he is supposed to be of international standard, blind freddy could have taken the sitter behind the stumps.  He didn't even have to move his gloves, the ball went in, then went out.

We have a new nickname for him Geraint 'cymbals' Jones (credit Dean Jones)

339092[/snapback]

What's your nickname for Gilchrist?

After all the panics about Warne turning it square on the last day if England had been in position to enforce the follow-on, Warne took zero wickets in England's second innings!

Three big asks today:

Manchester weather to stay fine/ no bad light.

England to get ten wickets on a fairly benign pitch- this is all about taking chances. More wicket keeping melodrama and we are sunk.

Australia- if this is a truly great side, 399 runs in 90 overs is very doable. Nobody has made a century yet. I wonder if any Australian has it in him to do a Gordon Greenidge and hit a fast double ton to win the Test on the last day?

Get your money on a draw.

If Langer goes early I think it will be all over by tea.

I'm praying for a draw, but which Australian batsman has it in him to bat for three sessions?

phillipl - this is a great Australian side horrendously out of form. Late last year they were the first Australian side to win in India in 35 years. Martyn scored two hundreds and a 97, and Katich scored heavily and Jason Gillespie was the bowler of the series (20 wickets at 16.15)

And suddenly, it's all gone tits-up in less than a year! laugh.gif

What is interesting to remember is that Adam Gilchrist captained the side during that tour, and won the first three tests. Ponting was injured and only returned to the line-up for the fourth test, which was a dead rubber won by India.

Edited by pg

My eldest just texted to say he got in at 9.45 after queuing from around 8.00am. Thousands looking for tickets apparently which has to be great news for cricket in general. Wish I could have gone.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.