BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Convicts Return

Timmy

Phil I think you are ignoring one important fact and that is that whatever sport Sky cover they do it better than any other.

I don't know, I think the CH4 coverage has been top notch. Other than cutting over to John McCririck every now and again for the racing. Hopefully Sky will take on Athers, Benaud and Nicholas.

Shame they decided to offer substantially less this time round, probably because they realise they got better audiences for their latest reality crap. They pulled the same thing with raciing, demanding a subsidy to keep showing it. Obviously the controllers there dont believe in televising live sport.

I'm going to miss out, but would still be better than watching it on ITV, where I would imagine they would cut for an advert every ball, and have Jason Gillespie in the tactics caravan.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know, I think the CH4 coverage has been top notch.  Other than cutting over to John McCririck every now and again for the racing.      Hopefully Sky will take on Athers, Benaud and Nicholas.

Shame they decided to offer substantially less this time round, probably because they realise they got better audiences for their latest reality crap.    They pulled the same thing with raciing, demanding a subsidy to keep showing it.  Obviously the controllers there dont believe in televising live sport.

I'm going to miss out, but would still be better than watching it on ITV, where I would imagine they would cut for an advert every ball, and have Jason Gillespie in the tactics caravan.

340180[/snapback]

Agree with some of what you say I do think C4 have done a very good job and if Benaud and Greig were on Sky i'd be happy. However prefer Gower to Athers, and Colville to Nicholas. As for Boycott, well less said the better really. I stand by the point that Sky will make a decent show of it and Lloyd will be worth the subscription fee on his own.

On the subject of commentators the website cricinfo along with Wisden Cricketer magazine have been running a poll for a TV dream team.

The results were;

Commentary 1st VI Votes % of votes

Richie Benaud 10128 85%

Michael Holding 7048 59%

Geoffrey Boycott 6973 57%

David Gower 5842 49%

Mark Nicholas 4941 42%

Ian Botham 4854 41%

Commentary 2nd VI Votes % of votes

Mike Atherton 4736 40%

David Lloyd 4571 39%

Nasser Hussain 3133 26%

Simon Hughes 2806 24%

Bob Willis 1802 15%

Dermot Reeve 1463 12%

Paul Allot 1266 11%

Must admit I would put Athers a little bit higher, but it was no surprise that an astonishing 85% voter for Richie.

Personally I think Lawry is a fantastic commentator. Very excitable and passionate, but knowledgable as well.

He only gets one-eyed when Tony Grieg is sitting next to him wink.gif

You guys in England should be thankful that you don't have to put up with Ian Chappell laugh.gif

I agree with that 'first VI' as well. Michael Holding is first rate...such a fantastic broadcasting voice. Who said fast bowlers were all angry thickos!?!? blink.gif

I listened to The 12th Man on the way to the Ashes last week, excellent stuff, I'd recommend it to anyone who likes Cricket. The Bill Laurie and Tony Greig stuff is excellent.

Does Max Walker still do any commentating?

Good to see some fellas at Old Trafford wearing the Cream, Beige, The Off White, and Ivory jackets biggrin.gif

Lee, The 12th Man (or Billy Birmingham) has had several CD's taking "P" out of the Channel nine comentary team.

One or two of them have threatened litigation, but todate I think he's managed to avoid any time in court.

Max Walker doesn't do commentating these days. He is on the "celebraty" speaking circuit these days, as well as writing "witty " books.

I'm amazed Boycott is so high and Lloyd so low.  Also no Tony Greig, what's that all about.

340245[/snapback]

Tony Greig is an excellent commentator - very knowledgable and eloquent .

On the radio - it has to be said that Henry Blofeld is way , way past his sell by date . A bit of an embarrasment really ....

Tony Greig is an excellent commentator - very knowledgable and eloquent .

On the radio - it has to be said that Henry Blofeld is way , way past his sell by date . A bit of an embarrasment really ....

340963[/snapback]

Bloers - a bit too fond of the old claret? wink.gif

The one where there's a 450,000 crowd at the MCG and Australia have made 500odd from their 50 overs? But there's a storm coming and Sri Lanka are 3-0 (or 0-3 for us brits) and then it starts raining? "Thats right, ###### off and run for cover!"

Lonerangers Da Silva, Iwroteanote Returntasenda! (da dum da dum)

My personal favourite is Ileftmateef Inajaratthesideofthabed

Some of them are very clever: Wasim Akram = Wasi acrim?

I've got:

The 12th Man Again, Still The 12th Man and the Wired World of Sports 2

Edited by Lee

The one where there's a 450,000 crowd at the MCG and Australia have made 500odd from their 50 overs? But there's a storm coming and Sri Lanka are 3-0 (or 0-3 for us brits) and then it starts raining? "Thats right, ###### off and run for cover!"

Lonerangers Da Silva, Iwroteanote Returntasenda! (da dum da dum)

My personal favourite is Ileftmateef Inajaratthesideofthabed

Some of them are very clever: Wasim Akram = Wasi acrim?

I've got:

The 12th Man Again, Still The 12th Man and the Wired World of Sports 2

341090[/snapback]

The one where benaud is going through the pronunciation of the Pakistan Team always has me in stitches!! I have that CD and the one you are talking about Lee - hilarious when Bill Lawrie goes mad when big Merv gets his hat-trick laugh.gif

what will vaughan do if he wins the toss?

bat first and post a bit score like in 2nd/3rd tests...or with trent bridge going to be dampish bowl first with Hoggard (hopfully) swinging the ball?

I would quite like england to chase a smallish target this time

mind you if Mcgrath is not 100% a day in the field might do him some good

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.