BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hob Nob Anyone?

Many thanks to you guys for answering my questions on HNA. I also stuck the same questions on another Reading MB and nobody has responded- not even some abuse!

How does it feel being one of the four teams to have won the Prem?

Proud, fantastic, dreamland etc. Was sensational when it happened- beyond all our wildest fantasies that dear little old Rovers could win the big one again. Always nice to respond to uppety Newcastle, Liverpool, Spuds etc supporters with "Have you won the Premier League?" :rover:

What do you think of Mark Hughes?

Excellent manager. Has been very sound in the transfer market, seems to be a good man manager and has the technical side of running the playing staff as advanced as any.

UEFA Cup – Heaven or Hell?

Heaven. Been in Europe 6 times out of 12 Premiership seasons now but this is the first non-embarassment. Interesting that playing European sides now seems so much easier than the Premiership. We've beaten the league leaders of Austria and Poland and Basle and Feyernoord have reasonable European heritage as well. I fancy that beating Nancy before we play Reading is going to be important for Rovers' prospects of continued progress.

Why has your season started so indifferently?

When Charlton scored in the 94th minute last night we were missing Nelsen (detatched hamstring; one of the best in the Prem and responsible for at least 6 points with goal saving tackles last season), Reid (broken back; revelation second half of last season), Roberts (broken metatarsal; summer's most expensive signing), Kizanishvilli and Jeffers (both groin injuries), Emerton (hamstring gone), Pederson (finally out with broken rib) and Bentley (kicked to pieces by Fulham). Henchoz only played after a late fitness test and Neill and McCarthy are both well less than 100% fit. Some real muppet refereeing going against us and missing all three penalties we've been awarded hasn't helped either.

However, the key factor is the loss of Bellamy- we know longer have anyone who scares the opposition and takes two opposing players to watch him creating space for everyone else. Injuries and suspensions have disrupted our usual high tempo accurate passing game.

Who has performed above expectations for your team? And who not?

Emerton has beaten all expectations. Ooijer has come good after a shaky start, Bentley continues to look great in patches, McCarthy slotting them reliably until missing some sitters in recent games.

The two greats- Friedel and Tugay have been performing at or near their very best.

Savage has not been as imposing as he can be, Pederson's confidence is shot to non-existant.

Why do you not sell out the ground?

Tell you what, halve the population of Reading, halve the income of the ones left, stick a Premiership club in Henley, another in Wokingham, move Man U and Man City to Maidenhead, Liverpool and Everton to Slough and promote Pangbourne into League 2 and tell me why Reading don't sell out the Madejski.

What do you think of Reading?

Delighted for you. I think you are in the Premiership to stay. Coppell coming good after a long and painful management apprenticeship.

Score Prediction?

I was there when you beat us 4-0 at Elm Park. You might repeat that scoreline.

Any finally - tell me some Interesting fact about your club?

The only club in the world still to have won major trophies in the nineteenth, twentieth and twenty first centuries.

Tell you what, halve the population of Reading, halve the income of the ones left, stick a Premiership club in Henley, another in Wokingham, move Man U and Man City to Maidenhead, Liverpool and Everton to Slough and promote Pangbourne into League 2 and tell me why Reading don't sell out the Madejski.

couldn't have put it better myself :ph34r:

No-one else needs to answer that one now - fantastic reply! But PLEASE don't move the Mancs to Maidenhead - far too close.

Any finally - tell me some Interesting fact about your club?

The only club in the world still to have won major trophies in the nineteenth, twentieth and twenty first centuries.

Nice one - didn't realise that.

That's a fine analogy Philipl. One to be filed away, along with Colin's research about the cost of the Prem winning squad. Don't want to be picky, but does it take account of Burnley, Preston, and Blackpool (not to mention the small teams of Gtr Manc eg Bury, Rochdale, Oldham which aren't too far away)?

Edited by Neil Weaver

I used to get down Reading quite a lot a few years ago. Watched Rovers at Elm Park once or twice. My sister lived there and her bloke was a Reading fan. He used to get really angry when people called Reading the 'Royals'.

"We're not the Royals." He would rant. We're the 'Biscuitment!" was his retort. Something to do with Reading manufacturing biscuits and the firms financing the club.

Ah that explains 'Biscuit Way' (or whatever) as one of the road names around the ground.

Edited by Lee

Who has performed above expectations for your team?

He's been mentioned briefly, but we have this 36 year old Turkish gonk called Tugay Kerimoglu. As a sop to us impoverished Rovers' fans he wears "Tugay" on his shirt.

He has a face that could launch a thousand ships, in fact in the shipyards of Turkey they used to use his head in leui of a bottle of champagne. In fact he is so bloody ugly that in our recent match against Spurs, Phil Dowd probably sent him off to make the game look good for the TV cameras.

But he has always had an "antennae" for spotting where his fellow players will be at least five seconds before anyone else (including his fellow players) know.

He is the master of the trap, the touch, and the accurate pass.

He can also do one of those quick shoulder drops which leave opposition players half his age wondering what the hell is going on.

Plus he scores the occasional goal. If he does, it's usually worth watching.

Now you may be wondering why a 37 year old has performed above expectations: it's because he used to have this invisible friend that he used to pass to on a regular basis. But as he gets older he gets better and his little friend is fading away.

Don't pass this on to that nice Mr Coppell, there's a good chap.

More power to your collective elbow. Keep storming the league and challenge the hegemony of the usual "big clubs."

Group? Was there a popular beat combo called "The Biscuit Men" (or even Biscuitment) then?

"Half Man Half Biscuit?"

Huntley & Palmers were based in Reading, hence the name.

Hey RF, welcome. Sometimes visitor to your site to follow the progress of Marcus and Convey (I think my screenname is AmericanRovers). Was glad to see you go up last season, good luck staying up (though not at our expense).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.