BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hob Nob Anyone?

Hello there!

To return the thread started on Hob Nob Anyone?, a Reading fans board, I thought I would canvas your opinion ahead of your visit to the Madesjki on the 16th December, with the intention of doing a match preview.

How does it feel being one of the four teams to have won the Prem?

What do you think of Mark Hughes?

UEFA Cup – Heaven or Hell?

Why has your season started so indifferently?

Who has performed above expectations for your team? And who not?

Why do you not sell out the ground?

What do you think of Reading?

Score Prediction?

Any finally - tell me some Interesting fact about your club?

Edited by Royal Fleet

Hello there!

To return the thread started on Hob Nob Anyone?, a Reading fans board, I thought I would canvas your opinion ahead of your visit to the Madesjki on the 16th December, with the intention of doing a match preview.

How does it feel being one of the four teams to have won the Prem? Absolutely bloody marvellous!

What do you think of Mark Hughes? He is god

UEFA Cup – Heaven or Hell? Heaven, I'm in Heaven

Why has your season started so indifferently? Injuries to key players.

Who has performed above expectations for your team? And who not? Above expectations- Bentley (I forgot Emerton!!!)- oops. Not- GAMST,GAMST and GAMST

Why do you not sell out the ground? Not enough people in the envions

What do you think of Reading? I like a good book, oh you meant the team? You seem to be doing quite well.

Score Prediction? We'll win

Any finally - tell me some Interesting fact about your club? Andy Todd has great Abs and Pecs and Lucas Neill is very pretty!

Edited by Jan

Hello there!

Hello ;)

Nice to see someone else actually remembers ;)

Although it's a long time ago, the memories are great.

A genius who will hopefully stay for a long time and continue his miracles. The better he does it, the sooner he'll replace Fergie though

Heaven! At last we actually get some points too

Probably amongst other things due to the uefa cup, also the low standard of the refs haven't exactly helped us either.

Then there's several injuries, but of course that's part of the game

Brett Emerton has become this seasons surprise hero, many wanted him out before the season, then he started playing as right back and is a completely different player. Hence Bert Mk2.

Morten Gamst Pedersen on the other hand has not lived up to expectations this year. We've all seen he can do so much better.

The population of Blackburn is extremely low compared to most other areas with PL teams, so there's not as many potential attenders. It is also because of overseas fans as myself who are selfish enough not to live close enough to the ground. Some people will blame Sky as well, but that doesn't make it different for Rovers than other clubs.

Actually I think it's great to see you up in the PL, and I hope you stay for a while.

Score Prediction?

2-1 Rovers. McCarthy and Bentley for us, you get awarded a penalty for Ooijer looking at one of your players

Although none of us except Jim was born at the time, we're proud to be the only existing club to have won the FA Cup three times in a row

Edited by Daje

Great at the time. Now a feeling of nostalgia at the bygone days because it will never happen again under present market conditions.

Great manager, tactically astute, gets the best out of his players and will do well at Man U once Ferguson retires (hopefully after he's won a cup or 2 for us).

Heaven if we win it.

Injuries to key players; Reid, Nelsen, Roberts, and getting used to a new strike force after Bellamy's departure.

Who has performed above expectations for your team?

Bret Emerton; he came back from the World Cup as a quality right back. And who not? Most on here think MGP. I would have to somewhat agree as his goals have dried up, although his work rate is still good.

Price, quality, catchment area, disaffected local population, Sky TV proliferation, greedy local pub landlords. We are suffering more from the general disease that has affected football as a whole.

Tidy outfit with a good manager. Will do well this year but will probably suffer the second season blues as the squad won't be able to cope.

Score Prediction?

4-1 Rovers.

Margaret Thatcher is an honorary director or something.

awsome

our fearless leader

heaven, small town in europe again, luv it being on tour!!

injuries and fixture pile up

emerton has been class this season, gray on occassions has been pathetic and will be replaced by a new face in january we hope

pubs with tv stations and armchair veiwers.

looks a half decent run club, coppell has done well and doyle was a steal at the price you paid for him.

Score Prediction?

reading 0-6 rovers. the gulf will show :rover:

we are the only club to win the f.a cup 3 seasons in a row!!

It is a good feeling, but it feels more pointless every year the media belittle the chievements of any team outside the top four. Especially bitter pill to swallow is that Chelsea bought the title quite blatently and have been doing so agressively ever since, but most footballers feel as though we bought it despite the fact hardly any teams have won anything without buying players... ho hum! Life is more exciting now though, because the league is much more open after Chelsea and Man U.

My first choice when we were manager hunting - a genuinely decent bloke and a manager who has give us some very good times. You always feel he can pull something out of the bag to get a result!

Heaven! We are winning in Europe for once!

I think a mixture of high expectations and a tiring Euro run. Still, as we are out of the League Cup and probably likely to go out of the FA cup early on, we should get the season back on track. A good run in Europe would be great!

Emerton - practically every fan you spoke to couldn't wait for him to leave and him signing a contract extension instead of going to Boro was seen as a bad thing. Then Hughes made him play at right back and he's one of our best players this season. On the flip side, Morten Gamst Pederson is really struggling to find his form this year and looks like he needs a bloody good rest to be honest.

General apathy in Blackburn coupled with so many other things (crap club shop, expensive food and drink, annoying drummers, a high number of teams in the local area, confusing ticket prices - though this is getting better). I can't see us ever filling Ewood again to be honest, but you never know. If we were to win the Prem again, the glory hunters would be back...

Personally, I am glad you are having a good season - it is always nice to have a new team in the Prem so we can see something different. Obviously I hope we beat you but it's nothing personal!

Score Prediction?

I think an exciting game wil finish 2-2, but it could go either way.

We are one of only three teams to finish in every position in the top flight and no other team will ever join us. I will leave you to find out the other two, and the reason why - good pub question!

It's a great achievement, however as I was only a youngster living in London at the time, I didn't quite get to live it in the same way as many on this board.

Tactically, he is very astute and has an eye for a real bargain. He has a superb temperament for a football manager; he keeps faith in the ability of his players, is persistent in his line ups and rarely loses his cool. On the occasion that he does, he certainly makes sure that his view is heard.

Only criticism of the man is that quite often, his subs are made too late to make an impact in a game.

Heaven!

The loss of Nelsen and Reid to injury have really been felt. Both are key players to the squad, Nelsen particularly. We went through a period of being unable to adjust defensively when Nelsen fell to injury and we are only just starting to get things right again. In central midfield we were already low on numbers and Reid's injury has left us thread bare at times. On top of this I guess I would add that the standard of refereeing this season has been atrocious and has cost us dearly at times.

Bret Emerton - I thought he should have been sold a few years back, but since he has been played at right back, he has really impressed.

David Bentley - has become a consistent performer and put in some excellent performances this season.

Gamst - To my recollection, he has not excelled in a single match this season. Worst taker of a corner that I have ever seen in my life.

Small town with a small population.

I cannot think of a reason why anybody would dislike Reading. Inoffensive club with some good honest players and a good manager well-exceeding all expectations this season.

Score Prediction?

Reading 2 - 1 Rovers

Because we don't have enough fans.

I think the continued rapid influx of asians and asylum seekers/illigal immagrants communities in the local area has slowed down or stopped the growth of the rovers fan base and has caused some regular rovers fans to move away and made it harder for them to get to ewood park.

Brilliant and sort of permanent as it is unlikely really to be surpassed by a club of a similar size to us. People bang on about us buying the title, but it is forgotten that Jack loved the club and was not actually spending much more money than Man Utd at the time. Shearer's transfer to Newcastle for 15 million (we got him for 3.5), who failed to win the title, puts the achievement in perspective. It ain't all money.

Was a period at the end of last season where I really thought we had a Wenger standard manager on our hands. Outstanding buys on a low budget, enetertaining football, real determination. A poor start to the season has tempered that a little, but still easily the best manager at Ewood since Kenny.

Heaven. You might laugh but we could win it. We are a better side than Boro who got to the final last year.

We lost our two best players - Bellamy to Liverpool and Nelsen to injury - along with Reid who is excellent and Roberts who wasn't doing much to be honest. Our squad is simply too thin to cope with the rigours of a heavy schedule in the Premiership and Europe at the same time really. Especially when your heart and soul - Tugay - is 36.

Bentley. Looks like he could actually one day play for England, if perhaps only in a sort of Jemaine Jenas sort of way. Emerton is one of the best right backs in the premiership. I cannot believe we played him as a winger for 3 years... :(

Gamst has been poor at absolute best going forward. He does his work defensively though which I guess is why Hughes perseveres. He could have been displaced by Peter by the time we play you.

Heavy competition in the area (Wigan, Bolton, Preston, Burnley, United, City...) over really too few fans to go round in a climate where it seems attendances are declining across the board. It's a shame because we are the cheapest team to watch in the Premiership I think. And we have a very good side.

Good club who are looking to make a real fist of Premiership life. Nice to see a South East club outside of london for once.

Score Prediction?1-1

Any finally - tell me some Interesting fact about your club?Um. Oh apparently we are the only club allowed to put Crests on out corner flags. Although this is up for debate roughly every six to nine months on the messageboard...

Edited by joey_big_nose

Very proud....money alone will not win you the Premiership,ask Liverpool, Newcastle,etc.Will we ever see a club like Rovers win it again in the current footballing climate?

Doing a great job, calmly spoken and goes about the task with minimum fuss.

Heaven.We are putting the wrongs of previous years to right this time and for a town club like Rovers to represent their country in the UEFA cup makes us very proud.

Again it has to be injuries to key players...the sale of Bellamy has not helped.

Very hard to pinpoint a player who has perfomed above expectations in this side to date but theres quite a few who have not!.....Pedersen has been a massive let down this season.

Small town and catchment area with expensive tickets in comparison to below average local wages.We also reside in a county with far too many football clubs....very partisan!

Impressed,have done very well to date and deserve their league position......very little history and tradition though.

Score Prediction?

1-1 in a very close game

Blackburn Rovers......the most successful 'town club' in the Country. :rover::brfc:

Our highest ever attendance at Ewood of 62,255 is bigger than Liverpool fc's record crowd

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

Anyone remember Madejski giving some particularly harsh criticism of Jack Walker for buying us the title a few years back? I can't find it online but I think his team deserves a right royal thumping for that (and for naming a stadium after himself)

Anyone remember Madejski giving some particularly harsh criticism of Jack Walker for buying us the title a few years back? I can't find it online but I think his team deserves a right royal thumping for that (and for naming a stadium after himself)

After winning the title, he said it was "Obscene". A little like his syrup.

Remember those comments well. :angry:

A Reading fans comments about 'MASSIVE' :blink: club Rovers attendances?

Talking of massice clubs, I thought the Blackburn match on MOTD last week was a joke. You could hear teh players shouting at each other, as well as the sound of boot on leather. Even when Blackburn scored all I could catch was the sound of some polite applause. Acres of blue empty seats.

Checking the papers Sunday, the crowd was c. 16.5k. And "established" prem clubs take the ###### out of our support!?!?!!?

Until the likes of Portsmouth, Fulham, Watford et al get bigger grounds, we are, frankly, a "big" club as our average attendance in the Prem is very respectable.

TALK ABOUT FULL OF IT!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

I don't think clubs do take the p out of reading and their attendances.

On an interesting note,

Record Rovers Attendance: 61783

Record Reading Attendance: 33042

We had a lower attendance than usual on saturday because Fulham brought 1 coach load of fans. Equally look at other north west teams and they are struggling to get fans in. A high of 27k this season and an average around 18-19k, compared to Readings at around 24k. Which considering we finished 6th last season isn't great but it will take time and cheaper tickets/better offers to get people back.

I used to get down Reading quite a lot a few years ago. Watched Rovers at Elm Park once or twice. My sister lived there and her bloke was a Reading fan. He used to get really angry when people called Reading the 'Royals'.

"We're not the Royals." He would rant. We're the 'Biscuitment!" was his retort. Something to do with Reading manufacturing biscuits and the firms financing the club.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.