BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Xbox 360 Faults

Like buy a PS3 then at least you can still play GTA4

If it wasn't for the PS3 he would have already been playing on GTA4

:)

I remember when mine broke. I decided to buy a new Arcade version for £160 rather than spend £300 on a console with very few great games.

It's a console for the future. (maybe)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My own 360 is crashing a lot at the moment. I've yet to have the 'Ring of Fire' experience but I'm sure it's only a matter of time. I'm still within Microsoft's warranty period and I have an extra year left on my Game insurance cover. I should probably renew that soon.

The (automated) service seems quite good so far. I just typed in my serial number on the xbox site, got a UPS label emailed to me, and now the courier is going to come and pick it up from work tomorrow. They could have come today but I didn't realise it would be that fast so I left the thing at home.

Not that I should have anything to be impressed with when a nine month old console kicks the bucket.

You could do, what a lot of people have done on games forums. Buy a new xbox360(the same model as your old one, if that is possible) from somewhere that is slightly clueless i.e. Argos/Tesco etc. Put the broken one in the box and take it back demanding a refund :) Anyway, a 9 month old console should be replaceable by the shop you bought if from, since you have a warranty for a year with them and not the manufacturer.

The shop I bought it from was Amazon, so it would require sending back anyway, and they'd want the HDD and the game that was in the bundle, all of which I disposed of along with my original broken Xbox on Ebay.

First thing in the morning, it's off to Xbox Heaven (a shipping centre in Havant en route to Poland or Bulgaria)

My console got red light off death after about 2years and 2 months since i bought it on the day it was released. Was all covered by there new extended warrenty of 3 years :). took them just under a month to get it back to me with a new motherboard in it

I got the rings, and almost flipped out. Hah, silly in retrospect. I turned the console off, got em again, waited a few minutes and repeated this 4 more times, all with the rings. Then, I turned the system off, unplugged it from the wall, unplugged all the cored and re plugged everything back in and it worked. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. (knock on wood.)

I got the rings, and almost flipped out. Hah, silly in retrospect. I turned the console off, got em again, waited a few minutes and repeated this 4 more times, all with the rings. Then, I turned the system off, unplugged it from the wall, unplugged all the cored and re plugged everything back in and it worked. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. (knock on wood.)

......ticktickticktickticktickticktick......

After my power unit packed in last month I ordered a new one from Microsoft. In fairness to them it took the sum total of 4 days to get the new unit out to me. I had completely disconnected the console and moved it from its shelf. I plugged in the new power lead and connected it all to a different plug just to make sure everything was ok as I didn't want to arrange the leads, and place it back in its spot again only for another fault to be exposed (I'd been unable to check if the console was damaged at all since the power cable was on the blink). The red lights appeared and my heart sank. Before going completely off the handle I check the rather basic trouble-shooting guide in the manual and hung my hopes on the fact that the red lights can appear when the AV lead is disconnected (this was the case as the AV lead was still plugged into the TV). I put the 360 back where it was supposed to go, plugged in both the power and AV cables and up she revved, glowing green.

......ticktickticktickticktickticktick......

That's what I was thinking

Once its happened once it will happen again and will get worse.

It's quite common for them to break once, seemingly repair themselves and then break again according to a friend of mine who is onto his 3rd 360.

Get your warranty ready. :rolleyes:

I'd just like to thank the members of the board for their support and encouragement in my time of worry. B)

For this problem to happen even once(which it has to me) is enough. If i get this problem again ever in the future it will be going back to Xbox but when its repaired, im affraid it will be going on ebay and i'll be getting a ps3. Im not a fanboy but i NEED a console that works and i always have had that untill the 360. Doesnt seem fair that people have to put up the inconvenience of sending it back. Yes they pay millions to repair these consoles thats fine but ..actually wait no it isnt as we have payed for machines that work.

For this problem to happen even once(which it has to me) is enough. If i get this problem again ever in the future it will be going back to Xbox but when its repaired, im affraid it will be going on ebay and i'll be getting a ps3. Im not a fanboy but i NEED a console that works and i always have had that untill the 360. Doesnt seem fair that people have to put up the inconvenience of sending it back. Yes they pay millions to repair these consoles thats fine but ..actually wait no it isnt as we have payed for machines that work.

That's fair enough.

But I had to replace my PS2 twice (and they didnt repair it for free!)

I guess it depends whether you want a console with the best games (at the moment) or reliability.

A little update for anyone still looking forward to your first Red Ring incident.

Sent it back last friday, UPS sat on it all weekend, it was signed for in Havant yesterday and repair status just changed to 'console received at service centre'. From now it's 'up to 10 business days' to repair or replace it, then it'll be shipped back.

I've resorted to breaking out my old Game Boy with Rhythm Tengoku. What a game!

Got my Xbox back today, with some kind of horrible sticky tape over the disc drive that's left behind a tacky residue when I peeled it off.

It powers on, the drive has been swapped and it's actually a bit quieter than before, which is a good thing.

Bad thing - the network adapter no longer works. There's a red light on that now. So I can no longer play my downloaded games, or any online stuff at all.

I'm really beginning to dislike this console.

edit:

My bad. Looks like the repair process erased all the settings and updates from the Xbox, so I just had to redo all my network info. Panicked a bit when I saw another red light though. Now I can rest easy until the next time it goes belly up.

I stand by what I said about the sticky tape though. It's got that impossible-to-remove old sellotape glue all over the nice shiny drive slot.

I got the RROD about 11 months ago. When I spoke to people on the Xbox forums they suggested plugging it directly in the wall (no cirecuit breaker or 4 way adapter etc..). Although I doubt that it was cause it to break, it might help. I now plug my Xbox in the wall and turn it off after use.

M-K - I had the same problem and had to re-download all my Xbox Live games. I also had to re-configure my wilreless controllers to the Xbox as well.

Archived