BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 20/20

its you. Twenty20 is great, its much more fun, interesting and exciting than 50 over cricket, its taken the best bits of the first 10 and last 10 overs of limited overs cricket and got rid of the middle dreary bits.

Its been amusing jsut to hear you aussies complain because "It gives a greater chance for lesser teams to beat us" oh well bless you, you poor mites.

Its fun, its silly, it rewards brave batting, bowling and fielding and to be honest gets kids and families involved, which is what cricket needs. I've now found that the people I've taken to twenty20 now go to other formats of the game that they would never previously go to.

I've enjoyed it more than the 50 over world cup. When you sit down to watch a match you know that something entertaining will happen. It is also almost certain that with 5-10 overs left both teams will be in with a shot, if only a small one. It's much more hit or miss than the longer forms of the game, but it's exciting and I enjoy it. In the long-run I could see it replacing 50 over cricket as being the major one day form of the game.

It's just a ploy to get everyone more interested in the proper form of the game.

If you wanted to watch that which was broadcast last night (aus time) , then you'd subscribe to Foxtel and watch the Baseball.

Agreed, Eddie, the 50 over game has become stale (if it was anything other)

It's just a ploy to get everyone more interested in the proper form of the game.

I'd agree with that but it does seem to be working for a quick injection of cash into the english county game.

It's an interesting format that allows any of the top teams a chance to win and shows up bad form players very quickly.

Aus v NZ final would do nicely.

Wrong,flops.

The game is crap, with a capital K.

The world has a name for this game and it's called "Baseball"

That match between Sri Lanka and the Aussies was nothing short of crap (with a capital c)

But Zimbabwe Australia was great, as was Zim England, as was Aus Eng (even if we did lose), as was watching the Saffers choke last night, as was watching India England, and SA NZ, Pak vs Aus and all of them.

Even if there is a total missmatch (Sri Lanak Aus) then at least its over in 45 inutes, not taking the whole bloody day like 50 overs usually entails.

You Aussies are worried because it's a great leveler. Its not Baseball, Twenty20's exciting.

But Zimbabwe Australia was great, as was Zim England, as was Aus Eng (even if we did lose), as was watching the Saffers choke last night, as was watching India England, and SA NZ, Pak vs Aus and all of them.

Even if there is a total missmatch (Sri Lanak Aus) then at least its over in 45 inutes, not taking the whole bloody day like 50 overs usually entails.

You Aussies are worried because it's a great leveler. Its not Baseball, Twenty20's exciting.

I'M WITH THE AUSSIES ,I HATE 20/20...please dont compare it with baseball....flops have you been to a baseball game ??its the most amazing day out ,i went 3 days running a few years back watching the diamondbacks and it was a great fun beer filled day out .20/20 is just an excuse for lazy spectaters real cricket is played over five days .

and twenty 20 means I can go and watch cricket after work, drink beer, have fun and then go home. The same way as i go to the cricket at weekends have a beer fueled day and have fun, and so forth to the test matches.

If you dont like 20/20 thats fine, its saved County Cricket and its brought cricket to those who wouldnt normally be able to go to games.

and twenty 20 means I can go and watch cricket after work, drink beer, have fun and then go home. The same way as i go to the cricket at weekends have a beer fueled day and have fun, and so forth to the test matches.

If you dont like 20/20 thats fine, its saved County Cricket and its brought cricket to those who wouldnt normally be able to go to games.

Fairy nuff Flops, but it's hardy cricket.

Yeah, they've got the cricket gear on , they've got the bat, but that's about it. But what happens when "they" get fed up of 20/20? Does the game die?

Modes, my comment was a little tongue in cheek.

The shortened form attracts those that would not normally attend either the full or 50 over version, well maybe the 50's version excepted.

And that may be it's downfall - I went to several Twenty20 matches this summer and it all kicked off big time at the Oval for the Surrey-Sussex game with a bunch of drunken suits lobbing beer over people - got very nasty

I actually expect the 50 over game to become one day test matches. two innings of 25overs each.

Yes its bash and thrash, but if you watch 2020 regularly there is a lot of stuff that is "proper" cricket even if there is a large amount of long handle thrown in.

Also any form of the game which means that Aus can be brought to heel regularly is good for cricket all round

jimbo, I took my father to the very first day/night game in Sydney. It started at 2.30 pm, a lovely day for cricket, with the Windies batting. maybe 20K people in the SCG to start with.

The problem started after the first innings, it was such a new thing that everyone wanted in. Packer, who then owned channel 9 (and was broadcasting the game) ordered that the gate be opened, and the place became bedlam. Beer cans flying everywhere.

I said to my old man, lets go. On our way out we found a bar, with closed circuit tv and no one else in, we sat there, better view, and left before the crowd.

I have not been back to the SCG since for a major game.

Also any form of the game which means that Aus can be brought to heel regularly is good for cricket all round

Absolute effing rubbish.

Get your game into order, get it up to the standard of the Aussies, and compete.

The E&WCB had two people that were leading them in the right direction and both (for whatever reason) left.

Cooley and Marsh

I've quite enjoyed the tournament although you can't beat test match cricket in my opinion. You just get into the game and then it's over, also everyone is still rather unsure what a good score is. I reckon batting first is a good option to take in this form of the game. Not bother who wins really, anyone apart from the Aussies will do.

20/20.....hmmmm it's not for the purists judging from the remarks on this thread but I think those who dismiss 20/20 are missing the point. To answer the question, "Does anyone care?" No, I don't care what the outcome is, but then I don't really care about the outcome of any sporting event outside of Ewood Park. Parochial? Moi?

My youngest enjoys playing and watching cricket, and Tom, the middle one loves to watch any live sport. When 20 / 20 was introduced I decided I really should take the youngest to watch Lancashire, I've dragged him to EP for 10 years so now we should watch his favourite sport. To cut a long story short, since watching the first 20 / 20 match at Old Trafford we have taken out two memberships, watched the majority of 20 / 20 games played at OT, been to some Pro 40, seen Lancashire in the C&G final, watched England / Australia at OT plus a couple of other tests. Bought shirts, mini bats, autograph books, beer, tea, coffee, chips etc. We go with some friends usually, this makes 5 people who never went to watch live cricket who now attend regularly.

Is 20 / 20 good entertainment and successful in attracting new fans to the game? 100% Yes. This is the point of 20 /20 and it works.

Is 20 / 20 real cricket? Probably not. Do I understand real cricket? If you think telling a woman about offside is tricky try telling non-cricket people about "silly mid-off", "deep extra cover", "fine legs" (are we talking men or women), "third man" (is this a spy thriller?). The mythology of cricket needed to be exploded if it was to attract a new audience. Basically it was / is a very boring game for the uncommitted and unless someone introduced you to the finer detail almost impossible to follow. The comparison with baseball stands up in a different way than was intended by the poster. To people like me baseball and cricket are basically the same - man throws ball at man with bat, man with bat hits ball and runs. For anyone unfamiliar with the game's nuances this is what it boils down to.

I still don't know what happens at deep square leg but I enjoy a day at Old Trafford and spend money while I'm there.

I have 2 trins of thought here.

County cricket is boring, mainly because I cant comprehend the points scoring system, plus how many people can get five days off work to watch a game.

20/20 or one day cricket is more exciting and normally you get a result at the end that you understand. ie the rteam that score the most win.

The weather in this country doesnt help either.

Tosh, the reason I don't like it is for mostly the same reason I have a different opinion of international footballing prowess.

I like football that is played on the ground with players getting into 1V1 with skill, class and finesse same as my cricket

A beautiful cover drive or square cut to get 200*, watching 15 overs of class psychological leg spinning, bowling, feilding and batting conditions that can change every 30 overs.

99% of games of 20/20 I have seen is about the slog, reverse sweeps and full length bowling as to not give a chance for air time over the bowlers head.

There is more to being a purist then being a phobe of change.

Archived