BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Italian Serie A

I've wanted to get into watching the Serie A this year, however, not sure really who to support. I figured there must be someone on here that's knowledgeable towards the Serie A and might know if there's a team that that's kind of similar to the Rovers. I don't want to jump the Juventus bandwagon and such. However, I'd prefer a team that's likely to not be relegated either in the near future. It'd help if they had some type of following as well since in America, we get about 2 or 3 Serie A games a week and I'd like to maybe be able to see them play at least once every 2 or 3 weeks like I can Blackburn.

Any suggestions? I know the daily podcast I listen to they seem to be leaning towards Napoli or Fiorentina. Napoli is kind of hard due to their TV deal where their owner has refused to show the home games due to not being happy with his share of the TV package. Inter Milan seems to have gotten some looks as well. I was just wondering if anyone knew if there was a team that plays somewhat similar to Rovers, or just a team with either history like Rovers of seemingly being on the outside, but also has the possibility to break out big if things would ever fall right.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sampdoria?

Won the league around the time we did, finished 9th I think last year, and went out of the UEFA Cup on Thursday having qualified via the InterToto Cup.

If you're looking a bit higher up, then Palermo, Fiorentina or Udinese. Elsewhere there's Parma who have plenty of history and a few UEFA Cup wins.

Good choice in deciding to watch Serie A, best league for me.

I'd say go for Atalanta Bergamasca Calcio. They are known as 'Regina delle provinciali' (queen of the provincial clubs) because they are the best club outside of the big cities, although they've not won much. They are based in Bergamo which is to Milan what Blackburn is to Manchester I suppose. I stayed in Bergamo one night and it had the feel of a town like Blackburn, population is 117,000 so comparable to Blackburn, it's a little run-down in places too, so again comparable.

They're my team anyway!

Atalanta are my favourite Italian team as well, due to some fun CM games I've had with them. They're also known for having one of the better youth academies, producing a lot of talented players. Also a bit of a yo-yo club I believe, getting promoted and relegated quite a few times, and having spent time in Serie A, Serie B and Serie C1 in the past 20-30 years.

So there are quite a few similarities, but still some differences. They're not at the same level as Rovers are though, as Rovers are by now an established top 10 club, Atalanta aren't.

Serie A is like watching paint dry. There are some good players, but very few of the teams play good football. I'd much rather watch any of the other big European nations leagues, even those like France or Holland where the quality of player isn't as high throughout.

Wikipedia on the Serie A clubs

Unlike the Premiership, Serie A is full of clubs from icky little places with Empoli (just outside Florence) the littlest of the lot. But (and this is done without looking it up), I think Udinese, Atalanta, Parma, Livorno, Sienna and Reggiana also all come from sub-200,000 towns/cities.

I go with Inter because a friend is a mad keen Inter fan and until last season they were heroically hopeless. Genoa has the black and red halves (or is the Cagliari?), Samp usually have a nice blue strip, Fiorentina are mad but fantastic atmosphere on match days, the Romans, Napoli and Palermo fans psychopaths whilst I watch out for the results for Malta's nearest Serie A club Catania but avoid the place like the plague on match days.

Serie A is a fraction of the spectacle it was in the early days of James Richardson and Channel 4 coverage.

If it wasn't for those hideous pink kits, I'd probably pick Palermo. I follow AC Milan, though (The very first tesam I supported), so I can't really definitevely say.

However, I have found myself gravitating towards the Bundesliga more and more over Serie A. It just doesn't excite me that much, really. I do wish FSC would take up their Ligue 1 and Eriedivisie coverage like the old days, though...

Are you still living in the early 90's?

I'd have Serie A over the Premiership any day of the week.

We're obviously watching different leagues then.

In my opinion the premiership is now the best league in the world, with la liga in second spot. Serie A is some ways behind both of those. Their top sides are mostly boring and it continues all the way down the league. There are some boring teams in England, but not anywhere near the same amount.

Serie A is like watching paint dry. There are some good players, but very few of the teams play good football. I'd much rather watch any of the other big European nations leagues, even those like France or Holland where the quality of player isn't as high throughout.

Completely agree. If you watch the scores in that league, you rarely get more than 2-3 goals per game. No wonder their national side is better known for not conceding coals rather than scoring them.

Completely agree. If you watch the scores in that league, you rarely get more than 2-3 goals per game. No wonder their national side is better known for not conceding coals rather than scoring them.

You don't get more than 3 goals per game regularly anywhere. If you don't like the Serie A then that's fine, but at least focus your criticism on something that's actually real, and not made up. There's no real difference in goals scored between Serie A and the Premiership.

You don't get more than 3 goals per game regularly anywhere. If you don't like the Serie A then that's fine, but at least focus your criticism on something that's actually real, and not made up. There's no real difference in goals scored between Serie A and the Premiership.

That's correct, sorry. I've always been under the impression though that Seria A is much poorer in goals than other major leagues. Did some math just now however and you're right, they average about the same number of goals...

I've wanted to get into watching the Serie A this year, however, not sure really who to support. I figured there must be someone on here that's knowledgeable towards the Serie A and might know if there's a team that that's kind of similar to the Rovers. I don't want to jump the Juventus bandwagon and such. However, I'd prefer a team that's likely to not be relegated either in the near future. It'd help if they had some type of following as well since in America, we get about 2 or 3 Serie A games a week and I'd like to maybe be able to see them play at least once every 2 or 3 weeks like I can Blackburn.

Any suggestions? I know the daily podcast I listen to they seem to be leaning towards Napoli or Fiorentina. Napoli is kind of hard due to their TV deal where their owner has refused to show the home games due to not being happy with his share of the TV package. Inter Milan seems to have gotten some looks as well. I was just wondering if anyone knew if there was a team that plays somewhat similar to Rovers, or just a team with either history like Rovers of seemingly being on the outside, but also has the possibility to break out big if things would ever fall right.

I'm italian I live in Italy & I fink serie A's just one of the most boring(& corrupted)league around,so I'm a fan of B'burn Rvs & english football in general since I was a 'stupid' child.4 me there's no similar team to the Rvs then,anyway AC Parma(considered a provincial team here)had very good seasons in the 90's but not so glorious past as B'burn Rvs.

Umm yes and they only let in two goals throughout the whole tournament. If that's not a testimony of their defence then what is?

You would rather see two teams with great attackers and poor defenders? You should watch La Liga then.

Serie A has lost a few profiles the last few years, players like Luca Toni and Fabio Cannavaro to name two. However there's still plenty of entertainment left: Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Francesco Totti, Kaka, Mancini, Ludovic Giuly, David Suazo, Andrea Pirlo etc etc...

I usually watch when the top teams meet, and most Roma matches, but lately I don't watch as much Premier League either, just Blackburn.

Totti and Mancini, 2-0 at half time against Parma. Will be a real battle for the Golden Boot between Totti and Zlatan this season,

You would rather see two teams with great attackers and poor defenders? You should watch La Liga then.

You've read me well, I do actually watch La Liga quite often, or at least try to. I think there's been more inclination to attacking football there traditionally and teams like Barcelona this year have just tried to tweak their defence to get their game closer to perfection. Italy is trying to evolve the other way, by bringing in more class in attaack, the names you mentioned above being relevant for this...Both are great footballing cultures, just a matter of personal decision who to prefer in the end.

To me that is why the Premiership is the best, it offers a great combination of attacking and defensive football. Even more impressive for me when you consider how much faster and more powerful it is when compared to any continental league.

Archived