BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Weak Link

I know people will say he is not experienced enough, but Keith Treacy is very highly regarded by our coaching staff. So, I am pretty sure we would not sign a left winger. He has been injured and only recently started playing back for the reserves, but his chance will come I am sure.

Long-term replacement for Tugay is on the radar but this provides a challenge, as he is 'irreplaceable' (in Hughes words). I would think Huddlestone would still be an option

Pedersen's inability to deliver a good corner makes him an instant weak link.

So many goals come from corners and while his either don't beat the first man, or go straight down the goal keepers throat, then it limits our ability to score goals.

It astounds me that he is, and always has been, our corner taker.

Yesterday, we took a short corner which didn't work then MGP was allowed one (bad) corner and was immediately replaced by Bentley who unfortunately messed up his first two so it was corner number 5 which was the first to get into the danger zone and I think brought Samba's header over.

MGP took the three free kicks within scoring range and to be fair, Liverpool were incredibly lucky with the third. About the 65th minute, MGP drove hard and low having spotted the parting of the wall (like Rovers parted for Downing's goal for Boro) but a flailing Liverpool leg deflected the shot across goal and out for a corner on the other side. No deflection or a marginally lesser deflection and that would have been in.

I agree about Rovers' corners in general though. Having just watched West Ham v Bolton, I don't think either side failed to deliver any of their corners over the first man and into the danger area. If they can manage it, why are we at a paltry 20% when now we have Samba and Santa Cruz who ordinarilly win in the air so we don't need the delivery to be so fancy any more.

we've been moaning set pieces have been rubbish since we were in the first division

I don't think they have been rubbish when Gamst is on form - he's lashed in a few belters during his time. Bentley generally puts in a good set piece too. Just recently both have been playing poorly - I believe Bentley's carrying an injury and who knows what's up with Pedersen.

I know people will say he is not experienced enough, but Keith Treacy is very highly regarded by our coaching staff. So, I am pretty sure we would not sign a left winger. He has been injured and only recently started playing back for the reserves, but his chance will come I am sure.

Long-term replacement for Tugay is on the radar but this provides a challenge, as he is 'irreplaceable' (in Hughes words). I would think Huddlestone would still be an option

The question of who is to replace Tugay is a definite worry, but I really don't see why Huddlestone's name keeps coming up as the answer. For me he is a decent player but nothing extraordinary. Wheras Tugay is extraordinary and will be very,very difficult to replace. Also I think that Huddlestone for a young man is very much overweight, and as a fit young footballer in full training this should never be the case. That worries me and does not bode well for the future.

The question of who is to replace Tugay is a definite worry, but I really don't see why Huddlestone's name keeps coming up as the answer. For me he is a decent player but nothing extraordinary. Wheras Tugay is extraordinary and will be very,very difficult to replace. Also I think that Huddlestone for a young man is very much overweight, and as a fit young footballer in full training this should never be the case. That worries me and does not bode well for the future.

Because Huddlestone is young, seems to have talent for distribution, is English and might be available. He does seem a little stout, but surely that's a matter between him and his club - clubs have disciplined players in the past for falling out of shape. So Spuds must be happy with him the way he is, or at least not overly concerned. And I dare say that Sparky would sort it out quick-smart.

Edit: My spelling sucks

I, along with my Spurs supporting friend, are bemused as to why Huddlestone is so highly rated. Decent player, but brely good enough for Spurs, let alone Rovers!

Also, I don't think that there is too much wrong with our set pieces in general, just our corners. Premiership teams might as well put two men on the front post and the rest on the half way line, ready for a counter attack.

Huddlestone has never impressed me and I always look forwards to seeing his name on the Spuds team sheet- a weak link to exploit.

If Sparky were to go for him, it will only because he sees a potential which is there to be developed. Problem is, taking Huddlestone from Spurs will mean this will be no el cheapo deal paying a relatively small wage whilst he is sorted out.

Back to the Rovers, one thing that the Pompey and Liverpool games have shown:

- we have an extremely acceptable option of playing Emerton at CM which, our Australian friends apart, I guess none of us knew existed before. Suddenly CM options of Sav, Axe, Tugay, Dunn, Reid, Bentley and Emerton doesn't look quite so threadbare heading into the January window

Have we upgraded to Bert mk 3?

- Ooijer carries far more threat when he ventures forward than I ever thought he would. Was OK at RB until Kewell came on and then struggled against some extremely intelligent football as well as great skill from the Aussie. However, Ooijer showed he is an excellent RB option unless up against great speed and trickery. Potentially suicide to keep him at RB at OT even though Giggs and Ronaldo are a bit off form at the moment.

- When dropping deep, the revived all-action Benni looked very useful in centre midfield as well.

Huddlestone has never impressed me and I always look forwards to seeing his name on the Spuds team sheet- a weak link to exploit.

If Sparky were to go for him, it will only because he sees a potential which is there to be developed. Problem is, taking Huddlestone from Spurs will mean this will be no el cheapo deal paying a relatively small wage whilst he is sorted out.

Back to the Rovers, one thing that the Pompey and Liverpool games have shown:

- we have an extremely acceptable option of playing Emerton at CM which, our Australian friends apart, I guess none of us knew existed before. Suddenly CM options of Sav, Axe, Tugay, Dunn, Reid, Bentley and Emerton doesn't look quite so threadbare heading into the January window

Have we upgraded to Bert mk 3?

- Ooijer carries far more threat when he ventures forward than I ever thought he would. Was OK at RB until Kewell came on and then struggled against some extremely intelligent football as well as great skill from the Aussie. However, Ooijer showed he is an excellent RB option unless up against great speed and trickery. Potentially suicide to keep him at RB at OT even though Giggs and Ronaldo are a bit off form at the moment.

- When dropping deep, the revived all-action Benni looked very useful in centre midfield as well.

Most of the Australian games I've seen have him playing on the right wing rather than center mid. I have seen him there a couple of times though and he's always looked pretty good.

What I want to know is why can Pedersen no longer swing corners in on goal like he used to? He use to cause havoc and score, now he cant, why?!

Sorry Hughesy, don't mean to sound rude, but are you having an absolute laugh?

The only havoc he would cause would be to the fans in the stands who would become so enraged at yet another wasted corner that they might dam well riot!

His corners would probably be going in, but would never beat a keeper of the quality of any of the top three tiers of English football. On top of that, if the keeper didn't comfortably collect, he'd be given a free kick for obstruction. Keepers are given such protection nowadays that there is just no point in putting corners down their throat.

Pedersen would cause havoc if he looked to pick out the likes of Samba and Santa Cruz.

The truth is we've come up against 3 of the top four and done pretty well, we were disappointed with only a draw against arsenal, lucky at chelsea and probably a fair result yesterday. Next week I really cant see us getting anything but you never know, at the moment we are not playing as well as we have shown we can but are still getting the results so all is good, as king kenny used to say its the sign of a good team to be playing not at their best but still picking up the points.

Its all very well debating who would get in the top 4's teams but the reality is not many of the arsenal, liverpool or possibly even chelsea's players would get into Man U's team and yet they are not exactly running away with it, the team is stronger than any individual ability and therefore we have a chance against most teams. Yes we'll need luck, yes you would expect we'll need to be at our best but the beauty of football and in particular being a Rovers fan at the moment is we have a chance.

Archived