BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Last Of The Summer Foggy

Last of the summer wine must be the WORST sitcom ever made! and I include My Family in that!

Every episode seems to entail a runaway bath/car/bike. With cringingly unfunny male/female relationships. Put it to sleep please Beeb!

Last of the summer wine must be the WORST sitcom ever made! and I include My Family in that!

Eh ???

My Family is brilliantly written and acted and is perhaps the only modern sitcom that stands comparison with the great BBC sitcoms of the past.

Last of the Summer Wine's only fault is that it had gone on too long. It was excellent in its early years.

Eh ???

My Family is brilliantly written and acted and is perhaps the only modern sitcom that stands comparison with the great BBC sitcoms of the past.

Last of the Summer Wine's only fault is that it had gone on too long. It was excellent in its early years.

Absolutely right Jim. However they should have called it a day when Bill Owen died. He was irreplaceable.

The reason people dislike it is that it was about elderly people and it is bad 'street cred' to like it.

The reason people dislike it is that it was about elderly people and it is bad 'street cred' to like it.

Not at all, every episode followed the same format. Old fellas wander around, visit the cafe, build an invention, stick compo on it, rolls down hill out of control into pond.

Other sit coms were written with real craft (and didn't require street cred). Hi De Hi, Dad's Army, Porridge, Rising Damp, It Ain't Half Hot Mum etc.

How on earth can programmes like 'My Family' be compared to these classics ? It's about as much fun as having your head repeatedly banged in a car door.

Not at all, every episode followed the same format. Old fellas wander around, visit the cafe, build an invention, stick compo on it, rolls down hill out of control into pond.

Pretty much spot on, except you forgot to mention Compo trying to get hold of Nora Batty and getting twatted with a broom. Comic genius, that is :S And it was set in Yorkshire, and the theme music made me depressed. All in all, I bloody hated it. Made me want to slit my wrists, especially given that it was on a Sunday night.

If you're funny, you're funny, who cares about street cred. I used to find the Two Ronnies hysterical, they never had any street cred.

What about Morecambe and Wise? I've been watching highlights from their shows, recently.

Genius. Shirley Bassey getting her glittery sandal replaced with the hobnail boot; never stopped singing all the way through the nonsense.

Glenda Jackson's Cleopatra "Beauty what I have got" in the play what Ernie wrote.

Penelope Keith and the disappearing stairs.

Andre Previn and the piano concerto.

The sending up of Des O'Connor.

I love them still.

Eh ???

PARDON????

Like what, Fawlty Towers, Monty Python, Two Ronnies, Porridge, Only Fools and Horses etc etc

Behave yourself Jim, I know lifes all about opinions, but Jeeeeesus. (unless your taking the michael, in which case, ive fallen for your bait!)

256 episodes have so far been made of "Last Of The Summer Wine" since 1973, which is far too many in my view. The BBC should have given it the chop years ago.

I think I'm right in saying that "Last Of The Summer Wine" is currently the longest-running 'comedy' series in the world. I suspect that one of the reasons the BBC likes the programme is that it's very much a "safe" comedy, which isn't guilty of political incorrectness. It doesn't offend people.

By way of contrast, "In Sickness and In Health" (the sequel to "Till Death Us Do Part") which the BBC cancelled in 1992 after 47 episodes, was a programme which upset the PC brigade.

I'd bet my mortgage on the fact that there will never be any new episodes of "In Sickness and In Health" despite the fact that it was popular with many people and actor Warren Mitchell is still alive and well enough to do it.

On the day that Brian Wilde died, I was saddened that the actor Paul Scofield also passed away. Paul wasn't very well known with the general public because he didn't like publicity or giving interviews. But he's probably one of the finest actors Britain has ever produced. His towering performance as Sir Thomas More in the film "A Man for All Seasons" deservedly won him an Oscar in 1967, but he preferred to perform on the stage rather than in films.

Paul Scofield

PARDON????

Like what, Fawlty Towers, Monty Python, Two Ronnies, Porridge, Only Fools and Horses etc etc

Behave yourself Jim, I know lifes all about opinions, but Jeeeeesus. (unless your taking the michael, in which case, ive fallen for your bait!)

It's called quality writing : obviously lost on your good self and dim-witted coppers.

It's called quality writing : obviously lost on your good self and dim-witted coppers.
That one's aimed at me Matty, but on refelection better to have faced up to tense confrontations that tap away on a typewriter like some closet f**kwitt (running to the mods every time he wants a whinge - poof.)

That one's aimed at me Matty, but on refelection better to have faced up to tense confrontations that tap away on a typewriter like some closet f**kwitt (running to the mods every time he wants a whinge - poof.)

Ooeer... listen to him bitch when on the receiving end of one of Jim's numerous flames of other board members. :rolleyes:

There isn`t a rung on the ladder low enough for how I rate Last of the summer wine. Hated the music, the actors, the stories, the fact it was on Sunday evening. Everything.

I do enjoy My Family though. Its not as good now Nick isn`t in it though.

Archived