BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bst Gmt

Personally I hate putting the clocks back in winter and can see no need for it nowadays. Apparently it costs the country billions and the environment big time because we use more lekky and gas etc and it turns us (workers) into couch potatoes for 5 nmonths cos its usually too dark to venture out when we get home.

BUT one thing really puzzles me. Accepting the following........

1. the earth's elliptic rotation around the sun is fairly constant.

2. the equinoxes are six months apart.

3. BST ends on the last weekend of October i.e. approx 7/8 weeks before the shortest day on Dec 21st.

Then why do we have to wait until now approx 13 weeks after the shortest day before we return to BST? If we were to keep things equal then surely our clocks should be moved forward to BST somewhere around the second weekend of February which might make winter just that little bit less depressing.

I've thought about this and still cannot fathom it. Am I missing something obvious?

If anything Theno, you could make winter longer so keep quiet.

If you take the 6 month periods of he equinox then surely we should be adjusting the clocks 3 months after the shortest day ( which is about right ) and 3 months before the shortest day which we don`t do. It would mean changing the clocks in September which would be half way between July 21st and Dec21st.

If anything Theno, you could make winter longer so keep quiet.If you take the 6 month periods of he equinox then surely we should be adjusting the clocks 3 months after the shortest day ( which is about right ) and 3 months before the shortest day which we don`t do. It would mean changing the clocks in September which would be half way between July 21st and Dec21st.

No chance of that Al. That would result in even more fossil fuel being used which in turn would lead to higher inflation. And inflation is all set to be Gordon Brown and New Labours nemesis.

was the changing of the time first introduced for some reasons to do with the war?

I always thought it had to do with farming.

both correct.

I think during ww2 we were on BST + 1 (or two hours ahead of GMT)

Yes yes yes I know the issue about farming (and its rubbish) and getting little johnny off to school safely (do any kids actually walk now?) but my question was not why we put the clocks back but why the timing of it is out of kilter. It would be more logical mathematically and much more bearable imo if the clocks went forward 6 weeks earlier.....

..... I bet BRFC would save a bundle on lekky for floodlights too.

Archived