BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mobile Phone

Thought we already had a topic on mobile phones, but couldn't find it.

I'm due for an upgrade in a couple of weeks, and just wondered if anyone has any recommendations.

I'm with O2, and wont be changing as i've had good service from them, and the signal is good where I live.

Although I'd like an iPhone, I wont be paying £200+ for one, so thats out the window.

I want one which takes decent pictures, and allows you to make phone calls, not much to ask!! :blink:

Cheers in advance

I got the Sony Ericsson K850i with the 5 megapixel camera, it was brilliant until the screen and software played up. I sent it back to Sony and they have been fixing it for 6 weeks now. My mate has the same phone and he is on his 3rd one now, as they keep breaking.

My Mate has the Nokia N95, loves it and he is with 3.

From what I've heard of the iPhone people who get it aren't over the moon with it.

I think if you want the iphone without paying the price, your best bet is the LG Viewty. Excellent features, BRILLIANT camera (the sole reason I got the phone). Only downpoint is its awkward for texting, but I dont text that much anyway I prefer to call.

Have had my K850i for a few months now, no problems what so ever. Brilliant camera, which was a massive plus point as I was thinking of getting a digi camera too.

The touch screen part is the only part that has annoyed me though, you just need to be patient :)

N95 looks like a bloody brick to me, my uncle has one and I've also heard about a lot of software problems with them

The touch screen part is the only part that has annoyed me though, you just need to be patient :)

It is a bit slow in responding. Mine actually started activating when i pressed any key on that row, which made it impossible to do anything. The Screen also appeared to have leaked internally.

As a phone i don't think there is a better one out there but they are notorious for having problems with their phones.

Can't stand touch screen phones.

Went to the Orange shop a while back just window shopping really. I'm on contract with them and the Sony K800i looked pretty good, asked if I could upgrade early, they said yes but it will cost you £100.

I explained that I liked the phone, but didn't feel like parting with £100 notes. Noticed they were running a scheme where the return of any working mobile would give a credit of £100 toward your next bill.

hhhmmmmmm

I took the Sony K800i (adding £100 to my bill), then the day after when it activated went back to the shop with my Nokia and had the £100 taken straight back off.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

He speaks the truth, I've got the 8gig and its a cracking bit of kit, not had a single problem with it.

Ive got a N95 8gb and an Orange M3100

The 95 would be the perfect phone if it had touchscreen

Ive got a N95 8gb and an Orange M3100

The 95 would be the perfect phone if it had touchscreen

JimJ,

Only advice i can give you is, stay on O2 if your happy, ring renewals and contracts department, for 15 per a month (you do the negotiating) 18 month contract you can get 200 minutes 200 texts per month allowance plus a new phone, the Samsung g600 which comes with a 5 megapixel camera ideal for pixs - you wont be disappointed.

http://www.mobile-phones-uk.org.uk/

Take a look on this site Jim, I find they always give a pretty decent and honest review on each phone. One thing I will say is that if you haven't used one of the latest SE phones then the K850i may not be the best place to start for you, if you have it's a cracking little phone :)

Just been into the O2 shop at lunch, like the LG Viewty and the N95, but neither one is free on my £25 a month price plan.

Looks like I'll have to do some bartering with O2.

Just been into the O2 shop at lunch, like the LG Viewty and the N95, but neither one is free on my £25 a month price plan.

If you go on Martin Lewis's website, there are some tips there, which are particularly geared up to negotiating the monthly contract, but it might help.

the nokia`s look good N series

Think that will be my next one when i have to get rid of the sony w880i, great for music, crap for pictures, but ultra thin and light, hardly notice it in my pocket

Dont speak to the o2 shop people, they cant or arent allowed to give you the best deals instead RING RENEWALS FROM THE SHOP then get your bartering head on for your £15 per month deal dont waste your time with the staff in the shop except for getting the contract and renewals phone number and their phone to ring the number on.

I have the Nokia N95 and im now also due my upgrade. The phone is very good, includes the 5 mega pixel camera and also Sat nav.

If you can, then wait until Early August when the N96 comes out, which looks really good!

Well I've spent most of the morning bartering with O2.

Decided I wanted the N95, so went through to the upgrade department. Spoke to a woman who said I would have to pay £45 minimum a month to get this phone. She tried to sell me a few other phones, but I stuck to my guns and said it was the N95 that I wanted. She said she couldn't do it for less than that, so I asked to be put through to disconnections. She said she works in the disconnections department!!

I told her "3" were doing the same phone for £35 a month, as advertised in todays paper. She then said as I was a valued customer, she could get me the phone on the £40 a month tarrif, but the phone wasn't in stock. I said I'd think about it.

Called back 10 mins later, and got through to a different woman. She said she couldn't do me any deal on the N95, as they were out of stock, end of story. Said I should call back on thursday.

Called them again to speak to the 1st woman, to say I still wanted to cancel, and I was going for the offer by "3". Got through to a different operator, who said he could do me the phone for free, on a £35 a month contract, with an extra 200 mins a month thrown in. (800 mins and 1000 texts in total) He said the phone should be £100 on that tarrif, but he was going to waive that charge as I was a valued customer.

Result, thanks to all for your advice, and especially 92er, as the money saving expert advice was great for bartering.

Good on you mate, there's very little the operators can't do no matter how much they tell you things are impossible - you just have to be strong enough to push it. Did you get the 8gb?

told vodafone the same and they said oh you can still keep your number if you go....

i pay 35 and get 500 mins ,i think..im on the ale ha, and unlimited texts.

i tried o2 and the people in there couldnt be arsed

i tried t mobile and they offered n95..last years.. and its 30 pounds for £180 credit a month

i tried 4ones 4 u and they offered n660? slide with same deal as vodafone for same price on 3 but 17.50 for 12 months.

sort something nmext week mestinks

Archived