BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Road Lay-out For Ewood Area?

My (ex) 'communist' councilor was a salt of the earth character who listened-to and acted-on his constituents concerns. I have not seen 'hide nor hair' of my new 'Furry Darren' rep.

A VIEWPOINT OBVIOUSLY NOT SHARED BY THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE IN YOUR WARD EWOOD SPARK.

You couldn't be further from the truth I am a committed democrat.

SO WHY ARE YOU WHINGEING SO MUCH ABOUT THE DEMOCRATIC RESULT OF THE LAST LOCAL GOVT ELECTIONS?

s another man's Stalin. Democracy for all it's perceived imperfections is the best we have got ... my problem is the ease with which the undemocratic media can push it's agenda ... but that is something we will just have to live with.

YEP .... REM IT WAS THE MEDIA FUELLED HYPE (AND FROM THE SUN IN PARTICULAR) THAT WHIPPED UP THE NATION TO GET RID OF MARGARET THATCHED OVER THE POLL TAX, AND ULTIMATELY THE TORY GOVT..... I GUESS WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND EH ES? BE MARVELLOUS WITHOUT THAT EPISODE. MARGARET THATCHER WOULD BE RUNNING THE COUNTRY FROM HER BATH CHAIR AND WE'D ALL BE SAYING "RECESSION?...... WHAT RECESSION?" ;)

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My (ex) 'communist' councilor was a salt of the earth character who listened-to and acted-on his constituents concerns. I have not seen 'hide nor hair' of my new 'Furry Darren' rep.

So how come your wonderful councillor was voted out ?

Labour was he ?

Give the "prols" (as you sneeringly call the electorate) more credit , Sparky - they recognised corruption and incompetence when they saw it ...and voted accordingly .

So how come your wonderful councillor was voted out ?

I thought that would be obvious ... but for the 'slow-of-thought' (as I sneeringly call them) have you ever heard of 'media manipulation'?. If you ever get the chance, have a quick 'shuffty' through 'The Darrener'.

Ahhh ; so that's it ......media manipulation . :rolleyes:

Nothing at all to with the public weighing up their options and making an informed choice .

Tell me something . When your Labour councillor was first voted in was that a result of "media manipulation" ? Or was the electorate capable of making a choice all on their own in those days .

I'm glad to say it's people like you who are currently making the Labour Party unelectable . They'll continue to be unelectable for many , many years to come . It's because you refuse to face the truth ; you refuse to listen to the electorate ; you refuse to recognise that you're held in contempt by ordinary working people . You're too wrapped up in your rigid ideology to listen .

Please keep it up........ :tu:

I thought that would be obvious ... but for the 'slow-of-thought' (as I sneeringly call them) have you ever heard of 'media manipulation'?. If you ever get the chance, have a quick 'shuffty' through 'The Darrener'.

C'mon ES thats really clutching at straws. As the old saying goes 'Actions speak louder than words'. I think it's probable that in reallity your man's tenure had run it's course. Maybe a handful of votes might be swayed one way or another but you really are insulting peoples intelligence by suggesting that the recent poor performance by the local Lab party is down to a local free paper. Are you telling us all that voters of Blackburn and indeed the rest of the nation all subscribe to the Darrener.... whatever it is?

OK, I haven't read through everything thoroughly on this thread, but can someone who is against this new road plan say why exactly they are against it (I haven't seen it!)? Does the plan not work (on paper) or are some of you just having a whinge at "roadworks" and forward thinking for the sake of it?

The new Ewood Layout is part of a planned bus lane system from Blackburn to Darwen.

The (forlorn) hope is that cutting 2 minutes off the journey time with have the buses crammed like a Prem players wallet....

However, as usual, things have not been thought through.

If the buses WERE to be full, it would take the driver longer at each stop to take fares so the journey would actually take longer....

Wht not have every alternate bus as an express, this would make things even quicker.

No one would change their minds about bus use for the sake of 2 minutes.

If you live on my street you still will have a 30+min walk to access the bus sysytem as the local buses stop running after 6pm.

The already choked A666 would grind to a halt, until everyone gives up and starts using other routes, leaving the shops along the road to go bust.

Im sure some sort of electronic payment was mentioned, like an oyster card

They will have to spend big on facilities to make it easier for people to pay, less time for driver to be taking money etc

I tried to catch a bus last week for first time in a while, and I had a £10 note, the driver refused to take it.....

His decision has given me greater purpose to upgrade to a car now,..

But in the meantime, building these extra lanes is going to cause MASSIVE disruption over a period of time on a road that is already clogged at peak times.

And considering blackburn just seems to be building site at the moment this aint good.

Also has anyone noticed that they havent bothered changing the lights sequence at the bottom of church street. Its quite annoying coming from the train station side of town to wait while a traffic light goes green to a road that no longer is in use...

But in the meantime, building these extra lanes is going to cause MASSIVE disruption over a period of time on a road that is already clogged at peak times.

Erm, you might have just joined the ranks of the moaning for the sake of it.

A bus lane doesn't get "built." The carriageway markings get put in in a couple of hours, the signing will be on the footway, the traffic regulation orders get done in the legal dept of BwD BC and Bob's yer uncle.

I do hope that they install bus lane enforcement cameras so that some folks can explode with indignation.

A bus lane doesn't get "built." The carriageway markings get put in in a couple of hours, the signing will be on the footway, the traffic regulation orders get done in the legal dept of BwD BC and Bob's yer uncle.

I do hope that they install bus lane enforcement cameras so that some folks can explode with indignation.

ERM the A666 is no way near wide enough for a dual carriage way on ANY part of it

• 2 weeks later...
The best way to describe them is as a cross between Sinn Fein and the cast of 'A League of Gentlemen' ... their divisive agenda does nothing to promote the causes of BwD. They conned the 'prols' with their promises of a 'fan-daba-doosey' new Football Stadium via 'The Darrener' (their lowest common denominator appealing rag). Nowt but trouble the lot-of-em.

Sort of backs up what I was saying at the time ;)

Fascinating , Sparky .

But what's that got to do with the road plans ? :rolleyes:

I think you need to read back through the thread BP - and you'll see that ES's post is totally in order and relevant to the prior comments on this subject.

:rolleyes:

As driving in a bus lane will not be "an offence" enforcement cameras will be as much use as a chocolate fireguard.....unless of course all the drivers who get caught decide to pay just coz they get a nasty letter from the council.

As driving in a bus lane will not be "an offence" enforcement cameras will be as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Plastic Head

It can be made an offence. It just needs a Traffic Regulation Order to be made by the Local Highway Authority, which will be rolled up with the bus lane TRO anyway. Just like a parking restriction really. The camera will be just a way of spotting the "I'm too important to not go in the bus lane" drivers. In Manchester they are almost always in huge, black. 4 x 4s. Which you obviously need here.

But that's another thread entirely.

Fascinating , Sparky .

But what's that got to do with the road plans ? :rolleyes:

That the darrener newspaper is as mental as the inhabitants... no offence to anyone on here, but i just think darwen is a mini burnley from what i read, they want no re developments, just to be backwards and have no progress.....

That the darrener newspaper is as mental as the inhabitants... no offence to anyone on here, but i just think darwen is a mini burnley from what i read, they want no re developments, just to be backwards and have no progress.....

Progress SAS? If you mean the kind of progress that saw the demolition of the old town markets and the building of the hideous shopping centre now under re-development? The kind of progress that has seen Mill Hill flats, Queeens park flats and much the 60's and 70's housing developments flattened inside 30 years as failed social housing experiments? The kind of progress that built an ugly new town hall right next to the beautiful old one with wall tiles that fall off every decade? The kind of progress that has seen the traffic system in Blackburn town centre change and change again until no one knows how to get anywhere anymore? The kind of progress that has infested the town with parking meteres and traffic wardens? The kind of progress that has seen pubs and clubs closed and replaced in the main by mosques and takeaways?

If thats progress then 'Ich bin ein Darrener'.

You should try and track down Stuart Prebble. He used to be on Granada reports or something.

He produces the "Grumpy Old Men" series now.

You'd probably get a hour to yourself.

Cheer up you old git, think yourself luck you can post on t'net at 2:00 in the afternoon on a Wednesday.

Progress SAS? If you mean the kind of progress that saw the demolition of the old town markets and the building of the hideous shopping centre now under re-development? The kind of progress that has seen Mill Hill flats, Queeens park flats and much the 60's and 70's housing developments flattened inside 30 years as failed social housing experiments? The kind of progress that built an ugly new town hall right next to the beautiful old one with wall tiles that fall off every decade? The kind of progress that has seen the traffic system in Blackburn town centre change and change again until no one knows how to get anywhere anymore? The kind of progress that has infested the town with parking meteres and traffic wardens? The kind of progress that has seen pubs and clubs closed and replaced in the main by mosques and takeaways?

Spot on Gordon, a view shared by many. Talking to a stall holder on the 'old' market two weeks ago, she told me the markets would also be demolished and that the market in the new shopping development would be more cosmetic than fit for purpose.

What do I care, just moved to village outside Alty. :)

Archived