BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Road Lay-out For Ewood Area?

A new road lay-out has been proposed for the Bolton Rd/Livesey 'triangle' outside Ewood Park in 2010.

Leaflets have been posted through the doors of residents of the Ewood area & a consultation period has started on the proposed work.

The new layout proposes a roundabout outside the Fox & Hounds with 2 way traffic on the stretch between the F&H & the Ewood Arms (also 2-way between the F & H & Ewood)

The existing road (from Ewood Arms to Ewood Park) will become a two-way 'buses only' route......thus knocking about 8 seconds off the Blackburn-Darwen bus route & causing untold conjestion for everybody else.

you might be getting the 'jist' that i`m against these new plans.....& you`d be right!

The fancy leaflet (with maps so small you can hardly read) proudly boasts "multi-million pound scheme".....for a junction that doesn`t really need it. Yes it can be busy at rush hour.....but where isn`t? If you actually live anywhere near Ewood (like i do) you`d know the chance of catching a bus is probably every 15minutes or so. It hardly warrants millions of pounds spending on 'bus only' lanes.

Rather than spend millions of pounds on a new road lay-out (not to mention the months of digging & traffic jams when it`s being done).....i`d much rather have a few quid knocked off my council tax bill for the next few years.

What do you think of it all?

Am i right or am i just a grumpy old f4rt?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A new road lay-out has been proposed for the Bolton Rd/Livesey 'triangle' outside Ewood Park in 2010.

Leaflets have been posted through the doors of residents of the Ewood area & a consultation period has started on the proposed work.

The new layout proposes a roundabout outside the Fox & Hounds with 2 way traffic on the stretch between the F&H & the Ewood Arms (also 2-way between the F & H & Ewood)

The existing road (from Ewood Arms to Ewood Park) will become a two-way 'buses only' route......thus knocking about 8 seconds off the Blackburn-Darwen bus route & causing untold conjestion for everybody else.

you might be getting the 'jist' that i`m against these new plans.....& you`d be right!

The fancy leaflet (with maps so small you can hardly read) proudly boasts "multi-million pound scheme".....for a junction that doesn`t really need it. Yes it can be busy at rush hour.....but where isn`t? If you actually live anywhere near Ewood (like i do) you`d know the chance of catching a bus is probably every 15minutes or so. It hardly warrants millions of pounds spending on 'bus only' lanes.

Rather than spend millions of pounds on a new road lay-out (not to mention the months of digging & traffic jams when it`s being done).....i`d much rather have a few quid knocked off my council tax bill for the next few years.

What do you think of it all?

Am i right or am i just a grumpy old f4rt?

Considering the ridiculous amount of time that it's taking to build a small, run of the mill bridge over the railway on Bolton road I'd imagine that you are right and we would all be better off with a few quid off the council tax. btw for all the hot air blown about Barbara Castle Way and the millions spent it still takes an absolute age to get from Eanam to King street.

btw Has a name been decided yet?

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/displ...amp;cid=1276235

Does no one find it amazing that 'Walker bridge' is not on that list given the history of the Walkers contributions to Blackburn plus the fact that it is steel and within a stones throw of their first premises?

Its a ridiculous empty headed 'no brainer' scheme cletus.

Embarrassing, the roads are'nt wide enough to incorporate traffic aswell as a bus lane.

Jack Straw should rename his party the wasted lives party instead of new labour.

They cant incorporate cycle lanes properly so what realistic chance is there of incorporating a bus lane along the narrow roads of East Lancashire.

Help !!!!!!! SOS !!!!!!!

Guest fernhurstblue

Yes the bridge has been given a name i believe ..... the Wainwright Bridge. From memory there was a public vote with about half a dozen choices given.

I can't imagine a more inappropiate choice of name for a bloody great steel monstrosity of a bridge in the midle of an overcrowded town . It epitomisies everything that the old bloke hated in life ..........

Eh! Overcrowded town, for me its an half empty town, its dead!

This is part of the rapid transport scheme, which they got £50m to bring a fast transport to east lancs.

It took them 3 years to decide it was too hilly for trams, now they want a bus lane all the way from darwen to accy......

This is obviously part of that plan

Eh! Overcrowded town, for me its an half empty town, its dead!

Try getting from one end of town to the other and tell me that it's not overcrowded .

Why do you think they built the bloody bridge for if not to try and reduce the congestion ?

Yes the bridge has been given a name i believe ..... the Wainwright Bridge. From memory there was a public vote with about half a dozen choices given.

I agree, it is a lovely pint that Thwaites are selling BUT i think it`s a bit much to name a bridge after it! <_<

Try getting from one end of town to the other and tell me that it's not overcrowded .

Why do you think they built the bloody bridge for if not to try and reduce the congestion ?

IS it not because we have the shittest roads and road system in Europe.

Absolute joke. Buses are a complete and utter waste of time in Blackburn.

The only time I may want to get a bus is to go out on the p!ss and they stop running anywhere near me at 6pm.

As a former Ewood resident I thought the triangle worked quite well until McDonalds arrived. That is apart from those wanting to come down Livesey towards Darwen.

Road planners have to justify their existance and will, if asked, recommend billions of pounds worth of traffic lights and one-way systems that are not needed. If all the traffic lights went off tomorrow things would flow far better in all but a couple of places.

Ever wondered why whenever there is a new housing or retail development, traffic lights appear to delay traffic on a major road so that someone can get out of their close or into McDonalds. Even a couple of flats on Kwik Save get their own mini roundabout to slow down traffic into town. I think this is probably down the "special relationship" between them, the council, street funiture manufacturers and construction companies.

Not that i'm surprised, the nearest I go to Blackburn is Ewood usually and on the odd occasion I have ventured further I am appalled at the state of the place and the roads. Darwen is no better as far as roads are concerned.

How is it I get to Sainsbury in Bamber Bridge (10 miles) quicker than to Asda in Blackburn (2 miles)?... and as for Tesco I can actually get to Tesco Blackpool South quicker than Tesco Blackburn.

It's not too bad in LD yet but the Blackburn ship has sunk and i'll be off before too much longer. Very sad.

Preston and Bolton are no better.

Road planners have to justify their existance and will, if asked, recommend billions of pounds worth of traffic lights and one-way systems that are not needed. If all the traffic lights went off tomorrow things would flow far better in all but a couple of places.

I used to drive down Audley toward Ewood most week days 9-00am ish and the traffic lights were frequently out of order and switched off. I could always tell which was the case as soon as I came around the corner at the top of Audley. If the traffic was backed up to Walpole St the lights were on, if they were broken there was hardly a queue at all.

I think roudabouts are by far the best options for keeping traffic flowing....... if only women could manage to use em properly. One of life's great mysteries that isn't it?

I can't imagine a more inappropiate choice of name for a bloody great steel monstrosity of a bridge in the midle of an overcrowded town . It epitomisies everything that the old bloke hated in life ..........

:lol:

The irony is superb, the old boy will be spinning in his grave like a top! I bet we could get that on National TV! He spent half his life in the remorest parts of the bloody Lake District for God sake!

A re-working of the spelling as in this project would have been far more appropriate and suited most.

http://www.iearnpk.org/Bridge-Pak/BRIDGE-INDEX.htm

Nothing wrong with the 'Ewood triangle' the traffic flows freely enough.

Completely agree. I drive through it nearly every day of the week and the traffic constantly moves. I have never, ever drove through thinking "God this needs sorting".

I just can't see the logic in it at all.

Nothing wrong with the 'Ewood triangle' the traffic flows freely enough.

Strange how the odd boat and plane has been known to go missing though! :unsure:

I think that could be something to do with the residents situated not far from the triangle...

IS it not because we have the shittest roads and road system in Europe.

Yes , you're probably got a point there .

Part of the problem is the constant interfering with the infrastructure , from speed cameras every ten yards to sleeping policeman and daft "priority" systems that litter the roads . But I suppose it keeps people in jobs .......

It doesn't help , however , if half a million new roads users come into the equasion every year . :wacko:

Yes , you're probably got a point there .

Part of the problem is the constant interfering with the infrastructure , from speed cameras every ten yards to sleeping policeman and daft "priority" systems that litter the roads . But I suppose it keeps people in jobs .......

It doesn't help , however , if half a million new roads users come into the equasion every year . :wacko:

The lad who interferes with our road structure is our very own Ian Richardson a Blackburn lad, a fellow Rovers fan, who once said to me after a game, 'this town is fcuked' then told me he had left the area to live somewhere else.

Great isnt it! Such confidence and self belief in Blackburn.(take the money then run)

Stone me!

If grumbling was an Olympic event you lot would be in the squad.

This is a bog-standard bus lane/traffic management scheme which is no different from hundreds throughout the country, or indeed Europe.

Why should anyone think that it's somehow daft?

Bloody sun rose in the east again this morning. I blame Jack Straw

Having been back in Blackburn for a while now I can assure you Colin it is bloody daft, and a complete waste of money. It mirrors (slightly) the changes made to Darwen town centre, ask the local traders if they approve.

Why do they have to keep changing things all the time ? Why are the traffic priorities around Darwen street bridge completely up the wall ?

This forced sabbatical to Blackburnistan will come to an end in a few months then I'm off to Sale.

I like the bit in Colin's linked propoganda page about the effect of carbon emmisions ...

Nothing about the increased emmissions from people travelling to far flung towns to do their shopping because of the near impossibility of getting into Blackburn :wacko:

The first paragraph is worth quoting in full as it supports my view that congestion in this town (and IMO the country as a whole ) is too great . The conclusion that people will turn to public transport to escape it is just based on hope rather than expectation . It simply won't happen .

"The existing road network is unable to cope with the continual growth in traffic. In

the last decade, traffic has grown by about 13 per cent and this will rise further as

regeneration of our towns continues and levels of car ownership increases.

An alternative to the car has to be considered. PENNINEREACH is aimed at improving

the public transport network so the bus is a more attractive option than the car."

Archived