BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Road Lay-out For Ewood Area?

but how much would the track cost? and what are the gradients like between the two places?

It's not a tram, it's an environmentally friendly lightweight railcar which uses existing heavy rail infrastructure.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right colin the reason why so many people in my area (DARWEN) are upset about the council putting a bus lane through Darwen is because it's going to make the last couple of business that are left hear in the town centre bankrupt. The reason for this is because the "BUS LANE" will run right through the most of the parking spaces in the town centre.

The last time the council changed or better worded demolished the road system in and around the town centre of Darwen (end of 2006), many business lost lots of customers because there was no where to park whilst the council ript the road system apart and changed it.

Manchester is the 3rd biggest city in the UK and Darwen is a small town thats had hardly any investment since it thrown in with Blackburn council to make Blackburn with Darwen Council. To say that a bus lane on the busiest road in the town would work is a complete joke. This idea that you have come up with makes me think people like you COLIN have designed it.

We don't won't a Bus Lane in Darwen as you can see lots of "NO BUS LANE" signs by driving down the proposed road which its going to go on in our town.

Colin you can have that "great" 6 mile bus lane write through the centre of Manchester

However instead of the bus lane lets have a tram system through the towns that are effected.

Scotch,

I know that Darwen is not exactly paradise but there are more than "a couple" of businesses there.

Manchester has bus lanes on most of the main roads into the town centre. There is no evidence that I know of that they have had any effect on businesses along those routes.

Those businesses do not cater for passing trade (generally commuters who are their way to work.) They do not stop half way to work to buy a newspaper or 5 litres of emulsion, the commuters buy these before they set off to work, or make a trip to B & Q. Few people over the past 20 years has ever stopped mid-journey to buy anything. We are all too busy rushing to where we are going

I can't quite beleive that you are against a bus lane yet in favour of a tram system from Blackburn to Darwen. Have you considered the cost implications & the disruption in the construction & then the on-going cost in traffic congestion as a tram system takes priority over road traffic on the A666? Which it would have to do if it was to be effective.

BTW a bus lane on "the busiest road in the town" is actually a good idea. It would be pretty pointless on a road that has little traffic.

I can't quite beleive that you are against a bus lane yet in favour of a tram system from Blackburn to Darwen. Have you considered the cost implications & the disruption in the construction & then the on-going cost in traffic congestion as a tram system takes priority over road traffic on the A666? Which it would have to do if it was to be effective.

Poor reader No 2. That tram is a train! It runs on the existing tracks.

Scotch,

I know that Darwen is not exactly paradise but there are more than "a couple" of businesses there.

Manchester has bus lanes on most of the main roads into the town centre. There is no evidence that I know of that they have had any effect on businesses along those routes.

Those businesses do not cater for passing trade (generally commuters who are their way to work.) They do not stop half way to work to buy a newspaper or 5 litres of emulsion, the commuters buy these before they set off to work, or make a trip to B & Q. Few people over the past 20 years has ever stopped mid-journey to buy anything. We are all too busy rushing to where we are going

BTW a bus lane on "the busiest road in the town" is actually a good idea. It would be pretty pointless on a road that has little traffic.

I'm sorry this is such hard work for you.

You cannot compare Darwen with Manchester. Manchester is a metropolis with lots of big wide roads ready made for bus lanes. And a quick left and / or right will take car drivers away from the big wide bus-lane-ridden roads and onto alternatives.

Darwen to Blackburn has one narrow direct route (A666) - which has a flippin motorway interchange in the middle of it - shall we put a bus lane on the M65 to equal things up?? The suggestion is as daft as reducing capacity for normal cars on the principal "out" route from Junction 4. The only alternatives take you back to the bus lane route via Lower Darwen, or up to Roman Road via schools and housing.

The much loved businesses which are surviving on the A666 need the A666 to survive - your claim that such businesses don't cater for passing trade shows a total lack of understanding of the local area. The best pie shop + bakery in BwD is on the A666, and the only proper butchers in Darwen is just across the road.

Not only do these places cater for passing trade - people find these gems because of where they are, try them out, and become dedicated customers. That's why they are where they are. I use the bakery even though it's a 2 mile drive from home - park outside, buy my stuff and drive home. 10 minute job. The bus lane proposal totally eliminates the possibility to park and that brilliant bakery will die as a result.

It annoys me that you are so condescending towards people who actually live here and can see how stupid this scheme is. It isn't needed, it isn't wanted, and it will actually damage BwD (especially the D).

Not only do these places cater for passing trade - people find these gems because of where they are, try them out, and become dedicated customers. That's why they are where they are. I use the bakery even though it's a 2 mile drive from home - park outside, buy my stuff and drive home. 10 minute job. The bus lane proposal totally eliminates the possibility to park and that brilliant bakery will die as a result.

Look on the plus side. No more visits to the bakery - very good for your waistline.

Bus lanes are tinkering with the traffic problem. Manchester, Sheffield, Newcastle, Croydon and Nottingham have all built tram systems in the past decade that have been very successful while Liverpool, Leeds, Portsmouth and Bristol all have plans to do the same. A tram system linking Blackburn, Darwen and Accrington would bring tremendous benefits to the area.

Manchester, Sheffield, Newcastle, Croydon and Nottingham have all built tram systems in the past decade that have been very successful while Liverpool, Leeds, Portsmouth and Bristol all have plans to do the same. A tram system linking Blackburn, Darwen and Accrington would bring tremendous benefits to the area.

Can't agree there Jim. I've been living around Leeds for about 20 years now, and there have been plans for a tram system as long as I can remember. They re-surface every couple of years with some amendment like a new route added or different vehicles but plans never get off the ground. It'll cost a ridiculous sum to build and run. Fair enough they're suitable for some CITIES like Nottingham and Sheffield (btw Newcastle? You sure? You mean the Metro? That's an underground railway system) but linking Blackburn, Darwen, and Accrington? It'll cost more than London 2012.

Meanwhile back at bus lanes............

I'm sorry this is such hard work for you....

It annoys me that you are so condescending towards people who actually live here and can see how stupid this scheme is.

Tris,

I'd just like to disagree without becoming disagreeable (not that anyone has been.)

It's not hard work for me & I'm not at all trying to be condescending. If it appears that way then I apologise, it was never my intention.

It's just that bus lanes & Blackburn are nothing special. The town will carry on regardless. You'll find another place to park up for the bakery. Maybe 25m further away?

I'd just like to correct you on one point though: Manchester doesn't really have alternative routes into the centre which can avoid bus lanes, apart from fairly tortuous routes which are not designed for through traffic. They would be local roads designed only for access to premises adjacent to those roads.

Cheers

Colin

so why not use a train?

Cos there's only one an hour or sommat like that??

I think the point tris is trying to make is that these things could run back and forth whilst there are no trains going down the line.

It's just that bus lanes & Blackburn are nothing special. The town will carry on regardless. You'll find another place to park up for the bakery. Maybe 25m further away?

The town would carry on regardless WITHOUT bus lanes .

A few things would change though ; the traffic would run smoother , more money would be available for sensible projects , local shops like the bakery might survive .....

.......oh , yeah - and a lot of useless jobsworths could be laid off .

:tu:

Phil, I know we've been bickering for years like a couple of six-fingered, albino, Dingle brothers playing banjos, about whose turn it is to sleep with our 14 years old sister but:

The town would carry on regardless WITHOUT bus lanes .

Yes. Agreed. It will also carry on with it.

A few things would change though ; the traffic would run smoother

If what happened?

more money would be available for sensible projects

Anything in mind?

local shops like the bakery might survive

let's see if it closes due to a bus lane before we go all judgemental on that one.

.oh , yeah - and a lot of useless jobsworths could be laid off

You need to name names & the jobs they occupy to hang your hat on that one.

Go to go now, the still needs a bit of tendering & there's a mighty fine looking sow that I need to hide to keep you away from.

She's all mine I tell you.

You need to name names & the jobs they occupy to hang your hat on that one.

Colin, some poncey job title.

The people of Hyndburn and Blackburn dont want it. Hyndburn council have said the same, but even so its being forced upon us. All to save 2 minutes.

QUOTE (Ste B @ Aug 16 2008, 01:14 ) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Colin, some poncey job title.

Oh come on, you can do better. That's meaningless. Eveyone's job title is a load of sk1t nowadays.

The people of Hyndburn and Blackburn dont want it. Hyndburn council have said the same, but even so its being forced upon us. All to save 2 minutes.

Now you're getting there: Blackburn with Darwen is a unitary. Hyndburn isn't. Lancashire CC is the Highway Authority for Hyndburn. The latter doesn't really have a say in bus lanes.

Good job it's just a bus lane & not a nuclear reproccesing plant.

Then you'd really have something to have a go at.

It's a bus lane FCS. A what does that mean? BUS LANE.

Not just you SteB

The rest of you just get a grip of yourselves. It's a "BUS LANE."

Now how horrible does that sound?

Over & out

You just can't seem to see the point , Colin .

It's an expensive waste of money in a time when money is scarce .

Nobody except the planners want the damn thing .....and everyone outside the planning department suspect that they are only doing to justify their own existence .

Hope you slept well .... -_-

• 1 year later...

Can we have the full names of these people responsible for this, idiots wasting tax payers money.

http://www.capitasymonds.co.uk/partnerships/blackburn_with_darwen/value_for_money.aspx

Ian Buckley

Operations Director

Blackburn

01254 273000

If you want to dig deeper there is the reported link between Capita being awarded a huge 15 year contract with BwD and their former chairman Ron Alldridge bankrolling the Labour election campaign. Ron is also, purely by coincidence, giving back for that new academy in Darwen. I wonder what favors that got them?

I also think Capita now manage our Councils property portfolio so as well as hiking up the rents and making it difficult for local traders, they then also buy up the cheap empty shops and flog them on at huge profits to plc's like Tesco.

Archived