BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Midfield Weak Link?

We really need a good central midfield. That I felt where we are lack of. So hope we would be able to buy a very good central midfielder. Who is the weakest link I felt is Reid but just back from long injury. I believe he will get better.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Never fear, Keith Andrews will soon be here! :rolleyes:

Vogel and Villaneuva if he signs.

Tugay is a has-been and needs to be taken out round the back of the stable and shot.

Reid is an injury-prone, inconsistent crock.

Dunn might get back to his best, but I doubt it with Ince at the helm. Plus fitness is a worry as he likes his food.

How dare you?? What kind of Rovers fan can say that about the legend that is Tugay! Sure his legs are going but he shouldn't be referred to as a has-been, he's done a lot for this club and I hope he has a long stay with us after he retires from playing.

How dare you?? What kind of Rovers fan can say that about the legend that is Tugay! Sure his legs are going but he shouldn't be referred to as a has-been, he's done a lot for this club and I hope he has a long stay with us after he retires from playing.

He WAS a good player - now he's an over-the-hill plodder. The midfield position requires players who are capable of lasting ninety minutes. Considering that Tugay is approaching forty, he cannot do this. Plus smoking forty fags a day smacks of pure unprofessionalism. <_<

Hes not good enough!

He could only last about sixty minutes per game...just not good enough, ,we, Rovers, need better than what Dunny could deliver, thats the standard for progression.

For me his body cant deliver to standard required i'm not doubting his ability for one moment just his overall fitness.

Dunn can be really useful as an impact player, his fitness is a concern, but he's getting there don't forget his injury and re-habilitation was very serious. I would keep him, Plus he's also a home grown/English player we need them for Europe next year.

He WAS a good player - now he's an over-the-hill plodder. The midfield position requires players who are capable of lasting ninety minutes. Considering that Tugay is approaching forty, he cannot do this. Plus smoking forty fags a day smacks of pure unprofessionalism. <_<

So we harp on about how players should be loyal and see out there contracts, but we dump them at the first sign. Tugay was different class, he still has a role to play abliet a smaller one. Don't forget he's also coaching now, and if he can pass on half of what he knows, then its worth every penny.

So we harp on about how players should be loyal and see out there contracts, but we dump them at the first sign. Tugay was different class, he still has a role to play abliet a smaller one. Don't forget he's also coaching now, and if he can pass on half of what he knows, then its worth every penny.

I'd be perfectly happy to see Tugay as a coach at Rovers, but his playing days are over for me. I don't think we should retain him as a player if all we're going to do is bring him on for the last twenty minutes for a few party tricks.

Like I said, Vogel and Villaneuva for midfield!

I'd be perfectly happy to see Tugay as a coach at Rovers, but his playing days are over for me. I don't think we should retain him as a player if all we're going to do is bring him on for the last twenty minutes for a few party tricks.

Well I'll be honest, smoking 40 fags a day isn't ideal for a footballer these days but Tugay has always done that.

Anyway back to football on the field, Tugay is a great passer of the ball, his ball retention is still excellent, no your not looking to play him 90 minutes but when it's important we keep hold of the ball such as to hold on to a lead or to keep a game tight in the first half then he's still a good option. His career isn't over and he still has an important part to play both on the field in his relatively few appearances and then almost more importantly in the twilight of his career is what he can pass on to the younger players. Not just the younger players, even people like Dunn, Reidy and Bert can still learn a thing or two from this guy.

Tugay played in quite a lot of games last season and we finished 7th, not too bad for a 'has-been'.

And well said Majiball, we complain about loyalty these days and as soon as one of our players begins to show signs of decline you want to 'take him around the back and shoot him'. Yeh excellent support there.

Another point, you want to see Vogel and Villaneuva starting next season, well risky springs too mind.

Vogel has played what half a dozen games for us? I admit he looked good at times but is no spring chicken himself and Villaneuva who I'm very excited about mind you, none of us have ever seen play before apart from on a few youtube clips in a mediocre league.

Like I said Vogel seems decent and Villaneuva could potentially be a revelation but its too early to say these should be the starting two at the moment. It's definitely an option but I could well see next year that our midfield pairings are rotated depending on the opposition, I guess this isn't particulary ideal.

So I'm not disagreeing with you on Vogel and Villa but we'll have to wait and see on those two I feel. I'm not even sure where Ince is planning on playing him at the moment. (If he ever gets here, I'm always skeptical about these things, I'll be happy when he signs on the bottom line.)

Tugay to be shot though? :angry2: You make me very angry

I never knew Tugay smoked!

Just my opinion but you couldn't play Pineapple and Vogel in the centre of midfiled! They get eaten a live. At least one of the two needs to be a player with a bit of strength and power. If we discount the axe cos he is rubbish the only one we do have is Reid. Whoever we sign will surely be a very powerful player to be in the middle of the park.

Chill out, soft lad. :D

Tugay was a good player, but he can't hack it anymore.

Don't worry I'll chill out, you obviously know nothing about football so your opinion doesn't really mean a lot anyway.

Tugay is a vital part of the squad, sure nobody expects him to feature in much more than 20 or so games next year but his experience is essential. To say he 'can't hack it' is just flat out wrong.

I never knew Tugay smoked!

Just my opinion but you couldn't play Pineapple and Vogel in the centre of midfiled! They get eaten a live. At least one of the two needs to be a player with a bit of strength and power. If we discount the axe cos he is rubbish the only one we do have is Reid. Whoever we sign will surely be a very powerful player to be in the middle of the park.

In that case I suggest that we sign a powerhouse enforcer to protect Villaneuva and Vogel. We've been linked with Steven Davis though, so he hardly qualifies for that role. Let's hope that Ince has somebody up his sleave!

Don't worry I'll chill out, you obviously know nothing about football so your opinion doesn't really mean a lot anyway.

Tugay is a vital part of the squad, sure nobody expects him to feature in much more than 20 or so games next year but his experience is essential. To say he 'can't hack it' is just flat out wrong.

Tugay WAS a good player. He WAS a vital part of the squad. I'm sure the mind is willing, but his body isn't, especially as he's a chain smoker as well. Playing him will be to the detriment of the team, as we'll effectively be carrying him.

In that case I suggest that we sign a powerhouse enforcer to protect Villaneuva and Vogel. We've been linked with Steven Davis though, so he hardly qualifies for that role. Let's hope that Ince has somebody up his sleave!

Tugay WAS a good player. He WAS a vital part of the squad. I'm sure the mind is willing, but his body isn't, especially as he's a chain smoker as well. Playing him will be to the detriment of the team, as we'll effectively be carrying him.

I'm just going to agree to disagree, I don't want to get into an argument with a fellow Rover, as long as you know I shall be constantly reminding you and producing lots of 'I told you so comments' every time he shows us glimpses of his brilliance. :P

I'm just going to agree to disagree, I don't want to get into an argument with a fellow Rover, as long as you know I shall be constantly reminding you and producing lots of 'I told you so comments' every time he shows us glimpses of his brilliance. :P

I don't want a petty argument either. I hope that Tugay proves me wrong and smashes a 35-yarder into the top corner at Eastlands this season. If he does show consistent flashes of his brilliance, I'll come on here and admit that I was totally wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I'll always appreciate what he's done for us, but I think that it's time for him to ride off into the sunset. (That's a better phrase, I think) :P

I don't want a petty argument either. I hope that Tugay proves me wrong and smashes a 35-yarder into the top corner at Eastlands this season. If he does show consistent flashes of his brilliance, I'll come on here and admit that I was totally wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I'll always appreciate what he's done for us, but I think that it's time for him to ride off into the sunset. (That's a better phrase, I think) :P

I would also say that Toogs is probably going to get very limited playing time. We already have 3 other players who can play central midfield (Dunn, Reid, Vogel) and we are looking to sign one or two more. On top of that Ince likes very attacking wingers which necessitates a solid centr.

I will be suprised if he clocks up more than 500 minutes all season.

We'd get absolutely hammered with them in central in midfield.

In fact I'll go a bit further, I'm 100% sure that Villanueva will never play in the middle of a 4-4-2, he'll either be on the wing, behind a front man or in a five-man midfield.

Edit: £5 million for Dunn?! I'd absolutely take it, but he's not worth near that. Probably between £2-3 million, maybe a tad over £3m if they're desperate. Not that bothered if he goes provided the Villanueva deal doesn't suffer any hitches.

We'd get absolutely hammered with them in central in midfield.

In fact I'll go a bit further, I'm 100% sure that Villanueva will never play in the middle of a 4-4-2, he'll either be on the wing, behind a front man or in a five-man midfield.

Edit: £5 million for Dunn?! I'd absolutely take it, but he's not worth near that. Probably between £2-3 million, maybe a tad over £3m if they're desperate. Not that bothered if he goes provided the Villanueva deal doesn't suffer any hitches.

Villanueva playing just off Roque is intriguing, perhaps we can play Vogel and an enforcer behind him to shore up the midfield. :rock:

£5million for Dunn? Cheerio Dunny...

I do want to see us adopt a 5 man midfield with 4 at the back. This formation is becoming more prevalent within the game for the simple reason it allows for better flexiblity when attacking and defensivley its very solid.

As it stands we could quite happily play MGP on the left Emo on the right with Vogel reid and Pineapple (we have to get him a new nickname) in the middle. Provided Ince can get them moving better when we have the ball I think it could work well. Don't forget even with the players I've named Reid and emo could swap and so could MGP and Pineapple, who could also swap with RSC when he drops deep. I alway felt under Hughes we were very static in our attacking play, its omething I want to see improve, more and more of the top teams are playing like this now and for defenders its an absolute headache.

Also we should not sell Dunn I reckon he would be very useful as an impact player, and he's also home grown for Europe next year.

I'd like to see a midfield of Villanueva Reid ? Pedersen. I think that we need another central midfielder and we should be prepared to spend some money to get one. If Reid can get back to the form and fitness that he had two years ago he should start and this Villanueva guy sounds exciting so I would like to see what he could do.

IF the Boro rumour linking them to Dunn is true - then what price would you be happy to take? £5m?

that actually made me laugh out loud... another typical example of overinflating the value of your own players! £5m... are you serious?!

He might be worth £2mil. Since we signed him he's got that little bit older without finding the old firm he enjoyed with us last time. He has justified what we paid because we needed another midfielder to make up the numbers but he has not increased his value. I don't see any financial gain to selling him and think he'll stay with us as a squad/backup player due to his ability to also play on the wing if injuries demand it. He isn't on big wages so it's difficult even to describe him as deadweight. If Bentley leaves for the reported £18mil asking price then anything we could get for Dunn would be insignificant.

I don't see the point in selling Dunn. He is a decent player who on his day can turn games. The most anyone is going to be willing to pay is 3m, and he is worth keeping for that as braodly speaking we are not going to find anyone much better for that money.

I can't see him going. Especially as we look like we will line up 451/4231 next season and that suits Dunn as it allows him a more advanced role. I can see him being a player we can bring on from the bench, and who will provide cover in case of injuries to our first choice attacking midfielders.

Reid is nearer the door for me, and I think he will stay too. Lets get shot of the axe and sign some players!

Archived